BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-13-2021, 05:29 PM   #1
hunterp27
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpina B7 LWB

Alpina Steering Wheel - recovered in Dallas

I just had my steering wheel recovered and while I was at it I had them cover the airbag covered in leather as well. When they recovered the wheel I had them thicken the diameter more like the sport wheels. I also did perforated sections on the side. I think it turned out great. It was 900 bucks all in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Nice…but it looks like they took out the “notches” (at 10 & 2 o’clock positions). Did the notches disappear due to the additional padding to thicken the steering wheel?

And when you say “re-covered in Dallas”…do you mean some yet unnamed company (to the rest of the forum) in the city of Dallas…or the steering wheel company named Dallas Steering Wheel?

How much would it be for leather/perforated leather WITHOUT covering the airbag in leather? And can you select which section of the steering wheel that you want perforated or non-perforated?

In the pic below of the Alpina steering wheel…you can see the 10 & 2 o’clock “notches” in the steering wheel:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 03:09 PM   #3
hunterp27
Rep

QSilver7,

The Alpina steering wheel in the F01/F02 years (2011-2015) does not have the notches or humps like the sport wheels do. You can have them added and I almost did it for the additional 75 bucks but decided against it in the end. Having the increased diameter was enough for me. The name of the place is Dallas Custom Steering Wheel and they have done two wheels for me now. 2001 e55 and this 2011 Alpina. You can do whatever you want to your wheel. Different leathers, perf or non perf. Alcantara, different colors and a myriad of stiches. The owner is Donald Le and his place is in Garland, TX right on the edge of Dallas. This took about 9 days including shipping. He will quote you via email and work with you for whatever you want.
dallascustomsw@yahoo.com
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Looks great!

Did they cover the airbag cover as well?

What type of leather was used?

Any warranty as to wear, etc.?

Enjoy it!

Last edited by dbs600; 08-15-2021 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterp27 View Post
QSilver7,

The Alpina steering wheel in the F01/F02 years (2011-2015) does not have the notches or humps like the sport wheels do. You can have them added and I almost did it for the additional 75 bucks but decided against it in the end. Having the increased diameter was enough for me. The name of the place is Dallas Custom Steering Wheel and they have done two wheels for me now. 2001 e55 and this 2011 Alpina. You can do whatever you want to your wheel. Different leathers, perf or non perf. Alcantara, different colors and a myriad of stiches. The owner is Donald Le and his place is in Garland, TX right on the edge of Dallas. This took about 9 days including shipping. He will quote you via email and work with you for whatever you want.
dallascustomsw@yahoo.com
Thanks for the additional info. Didn’t know about the f01/f02 Alpina steering wheel (no notches)…I assumed they came with the sport steering wheel like the f06 6 series Alpina (like pictured).

Thanks for the vendor info…I was guessing that is who you were referring to (Dallas Custom Steering Wheel) but wanted to be sure. I brought their name up in a thread within the last few weeks (I believe it was on a different forum). Someone was looking to recover their steering wheel…and they went with Coby Wheel (out of Atlanta area). But they don’t do the pre LCI sport steering wheel in leather (just Alcantera)…they just do the LCI wheel that has the round airbag. Good to know that “DCSW” will do the pre LCI & LCI anyway you want.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 01:21 PM   #6
hunterp27
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Looks great!

Did they cover the airbag cover as well?

What type of leather was used?

Any warranty as to wear, etc.?

Enjoy it!
Yes the did the airbag too. I had seen a company out of Estonia or Latvia was doing this and so i asked Donald if he would do it. He said yes after I sent him a picture of how they put the seams over the areas where you could tell the airbag would separate in the event of a deployment. The stiches will easily give way in the event of a crash, so no worries there. As to the type of leather, it feels identical to the Lavalina leather that is used on the Alpina wheel. It is extremely high quality super smooth leather but you can use any kind of leather you desire. I didn't ask about any warranty as I assume something like this is not gonna have any wear warranty. I mean if it falls apart in the first year I imagine he'd do something for ya but once you hold this in your hands you can tell this is high high quality leather. Makes it feel like I am driving a new car since it is what you are holding all the time. Ya know how you swear your engine runs better after you change the oil? We all know that's not really true but it sure feels that way. The human mind is a dangerous thing.......LoL
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 09:27 PM   #7
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Neat!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 03:04 PM   #8
jaxone
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D F10

Steering wheel itself looks good , nice job there But the airbag looks kida cheap made in china .. sorry , but the job on airbag was not done properly.
No hard feelings I hope , just check this , just as an example :
https://vinicart.com/products/new-bmw-7-series-g-airbag
Appreciate 0