BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

09-23-2021, 10:45 AM   #1
KJEEP
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 750i X Drive M Sport

Customizing on a budget - My build story

I have some spare time here on the train into the city so I figured I'd create a build thread - which seems non-existent on 7post. Here goes...

So long story short:

Wife asks for new minivan. I don't want to spend $50K on a new one so I searched used. My word are minivan prices inflated... I get frustrated so I search for BMWs for the hell of it.

I find THE car, make the completely impulsive decision to take the rest of the day off and make the 3 hour trek to buy it. I spent the return drive trying to convince myself that it was a great decision, that the horror stories of N62 engines are exaggerated and that my wife is not going to kill me. So far so good *knocks on every f-ing wooden surface available*.

With that said though, sacrifices had to be made. The sacrifice being control of my own bank account.

Which meant that any plans I had for my 7 would have to be very budget conscience - amounts I could pass off as maintenance costs. ALl I knew is I wanted my car to be unique.

Budget-friendly mods:

Burger Tuning Stage 1 - $189 used on eBay
Because the M Sport package should've came with a performance bump to begin with.

Gloss black double slat kidney grill - $58 new on eBay
Because it compliments the black windows trim and looks badass.

Gloss black exhaust trim - $37 new on eBay
Because I needed to hide/cover the soot-ridden chrome tips.

Mewant genuine leather steering cover with M stitching - $64 new on eBay
Because BMW Nappa leather fades and tears like no other and no, I am not paying $500+ for something I can do myself.

Carlinkit Wireless Apple Carplay MMI - $295 on Amazon
Because all I use is Google Maps and Spotify in my car.

LED interior lights - $34 new on eBay
Because yellow halogen lights are ewwww...

All told, $677 spent and I couldn't be any happier. Pics are below.

Other than those budget-friendly updates:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 - $1300 for tires, balance and alignment
Because run-flats are crap and now the car is even more comfortable and handles MUCH better.

Please let me know your thoughts and what you would add or delete from the list.

All the best - KJEEP
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 11:06 PM   #2
bin01123
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 750i

Garage List
2011 BMW 750i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Which Carlinkit Wireless Apple Carplay MMI unit did you buy? And how is it working out for you? I'm looking on Amazon and I don't see anything compatible for the F01 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJEEP View Post
I have some spare time here on the train into the city so I figured I'd create a build thread - which seems non-existent on 7post. Here goes...

So long story short:

Wife asks for new minivan. I don't want to spend $50K on a new one so I searched used. My word are minivan prices inflated... I get frustrated so I search for BMWs for the hell of it.

I find THE car, make the completely impulsive decision to take the rest of the day off and make the 3 hour trek to buy it. I spent the return drive trying to convince myself that it was a great decision, that the horror stories of N62 engines are exaggerated and that my wife is not going to kill me. So far so good *knocks on every f-ing wooden surface available*.

With that said though, sacrifices had to be made. The sacrifice being control of my own bank account.

Which meant that any plans I had for my 7 would have to be very budget conscience - amounts I could pass off as maintenance costs. ALl I knew is I wanted my car to be unique.

Budget-friendly mods:

Burger Tuning Stage 1 - $189 used on eBay
Because the M Sport package should've came with a performance bump to begin with.

Gloss black double slat kidney grill - $58 new on eBay
Because it compliments the black windows trim and looks badass.

Gloss black exhaust trim - $37 new on eBay
Because I needed to hide/cover the soot-ridden chrome tips.

Mewant genuine leather steering cover with M stitching - $64 new on eBay
Because BMW Nappa leather fades and tears like no other and no, I am not paying $500+ for something I can do myself.

Carlinkit Wireless Apple Carplay MMI - $295 on Amazon
Because all I use is Google Maps and Spotify in my car.

LED interior lights - $34 new on eBay
Because yellow halogen lights are ewwww...

All told, $677 spent and I couldn't be any happier. Pics are below.

Other than those budget-friendly updates:

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 - $1300 for tires, balance and alignment
Because run-flats are crap and now the car is even more comfortable and handles MUCH better.

Please let me know your thoughts and what you would add or delete from the list.

All the best - KJEEP
      09-27-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
KJEEP
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 750i X Drive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bin01123 View Post
Which Carlinkit Wireless Apple Carplay MMI unit did you buy? And how is it working out for you? I'm looking on Amazon and I don't see anything compatible for the F01 750
I like it a lot. It is as close to OEM as you are ever going to get. The wireless CarPlay is very convenient. The one thing I recommend is routing the wifi antenna as close to where you place your phone as possible. For example, I routed the wifi antenna under the center console so even if the phone is in my pocket, the connection is stable.

Apple CarPlay
Appreciate 0