BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-28-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
psyrd
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 745e M Sport

Finally got my G11 745e M Sport

After much waiting...

It's here.
  • Carbon Black
  • M Sport Pro Pack
  • Black Nappa leather
  • Black wood trim
  • Blue brake callipers
  • Through loading
  • 817M bi-colour 20" alloys
  • The rear de-badged by you guys at PDI

After 300 miles of ownership, I've done ~250 miles on EV and ~50 on ICE.

There are some quarks and features worth a note:
  • The air suspension button up/down doesn't have any feedback on the infotainment system screens. In fact I can't find any reference to it at all in the software; just seems to be a button.
  • The headrest doesn't seem to tilt forwards/backwards just up and down and I find my head rather far forward of the rest.
  • The EV plug flap can be a bit picky about how it's closed. 25% of the time it'll pop open again.
  • The EV range is a solid 20-25 miles which is perfect for my commutes and daily bits. But having the ICE on tap when I need to go further at short notice.
  • Recharges overnight on my UK 3 pin plug in around 6-8 hours which is fine for me as I plug it in every evening.
  • The climatization feature is great but if started and it's not plugged in will take 20-50% of the battery!

You all know what these cars look like, but I've posted some pics just because. And you can see the before/after of my installation of a small post and hook to keep the cable out the way.

Other than that, it's great. Smooth, tidy, quick, quiet and elegant.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Googsy22.50
Al Pină1839.50
Wills28647.00
Zodiac46.00
      10-28-2021, 11:40 AM   #2
Googsy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 740E

Looks lovely , enjoy !
Appreciate 1
psyrd43.00
      10-30-2021, 02:25 AM   #3
Zodiac
Private
Rep
Drives: G11 750i, M5 E60, M6 F12

Congrats, great build!

Carbon Black is my favorite color for 7 series at the moment, switched to that one from Sapphire Black 3 months ago.
Appreciate 1
psyrd43.00
      10-30-2021, 08:59 AM   #4
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

Beautiful car, Enjoy!
      10-30-2021, 02:49 PM   #5
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

This car is a rocket when tuned. I did a 745 Stage 2 almost 600hp, did 8.6 100-200on Dragy. Only issue I have is the small fuel tank and smaller trunk space compared to non ev model
Appreciate 1
psyrd43.00
      10-30-2021, 07:02 PM   #6
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

It's a beauty enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyrd View Post
After much waiting...

It's here.
  • Carbon Black
  • M Sport Pro Pack
  • Black Nappa leather
  • Black wood trim
  • Blue brake callipers
  • Through loading

• The air suspension button up/down doesn't have any feedback on the infotainment system screens. In fact I can't find any reference to it at all in the software; just seems to be a button.
  • The headrest doesn't seem to tilt forwards/backwards just up and down and I find my head rather far forward of the rest.
  • The EV plug flap can be a bit picky about how it's closed. 25% of the time it'll pop open again.
  • The EV range is a solid 20-25 miles which is perfect for my commutes and daily bits. But having the ICE on tap when I need to go further at short notice.
  • Recharges overnight on my UK 3 pin plug in around 6-8 hours which is fine for me as I plug it in every evening.
  • The climatization feature is great but if started and it's not plugged in will take 20-50% of the battery!

You all know what these cars look like, but I've posted some pics just because. And you can see the before/after of my installation of a small post and hook to keep the cable out the way.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 03:52 AM   #7
psyrd
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
This car is a rocket when tuned. I did a 745 Stage 2 almost 600hp, did 8.6 100-200on Dragy. Only issue I have is the small fuel tank and smaller trunk space compared to non ev model
Yeah, the smaller trunk is a bit of a pain but it's comparable to my old Jag XF.

My colleague was surprised it wasn't bigger, but it's fine for my needs.

The folding floor bit in the 745 is a bit of a faff and takes some getting used to. I have it down all the time as it's handy to have sort small bits of shopping etc. stops it all rolling around.

Last edited by psyrd; 11-01-2021 at 10:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 03:55 AM   #8
psyrd
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
Congrats, great build!

Carbon Black is my favorite color for 7 series at the moment, switched to that one from Sapphire Black 3 months ago.
I was going with black… or one of the greys, Dravit was on the list, but I spotted a Carbon Black in the show room and it looks amazing.

For those that don't know it's black until you get around 6ft from it then goes a deep metallic blue.

It's just off black enough to bring out the black trim and just blue enough to bring out the blue in the brake callipers.
Appreciate 1
Zodiac46.00
      10-31-2021, 06:23 AM   #9
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Looks great, I like the Carbon/Ruby/Citrine blacks that BMW do, nice colours.

In terms the head rest issue you have, ideally your head shouldn't be on the head restraint if you're sat with good posture. As it's a head restraint (in the event of an accident) not a rest, however if you want to bring it closer so you can rest your head on it then use the split back rest adjustment and you'll solve the issue. (that's what I've done).

On the air suspension button the tell tale is the green LED, press it once and it raises 20mm at speeds up to 25mph (flashing whilst it does it), press it again to return, above 25mph it will lower automatically. Selecting sport mode will lower the suspension 10mm, automatically over 87mph it lowers 10mm in the other modes.

Last edited by Wills2; 10-31-2021 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 06:32 AM   #10
psyrd
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Looks great, I like the Carbon/Ruby/Citrine blacks that BMW do, nice colours.

In terms the head rest issue you have, ideally your head shouldn't be on the head restraint if you're sat with good posture. As it's a head restraint (in the event of an accident) not a rest, however if you want to bring it closer so you can rest your head on it then use the split back rest adjustment and you'll solve the issue. (that's what I've done).

On the air suspension button the tell tale is the green LED, press it once and it raises 20mm at speeds up to 25mph (flashing whilst it does it), press it again to return, above 25mph it will lower automatically. Selecting sport mode will lower the suspension 10mm automatically, over 87mph it lowers 10mm in the other modes.
Thanks Will.

Yes the headrest thing is more of an observation - the Jag XF was just a bit closer.

And the air suspension button - I've read up on the docs and understand it all, just seems odd that it's not present in the software to view status especially if it's prone to overheating!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 12:58 PM   #11
Googsy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 740E

What Jaguar XF did you have ? That’s what I had too prior to buying the 7 . Before that had an XJ.I settled on the 740e and like it but sometimes miss the 6 cylinder I had on the Jag. Will look at a 745e when they drop in price a bit .
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 02:46 AM   #12
psyrd
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googsy View Post
What Jaguar XF did you have ? That's what I had too prior to buying the 7 . Before that had an XJ.I settled on the 740e and like it but sometimes miss the 6 cylinder I had on the Jag. Will look at a 745e when they drop in price a bit .
I had an MY16 XF R Sport but the 2.0lt diesel, got lots of toys with it. Lots of extra stuff on that jag that aren't on my 745e as standard which is a shame given it was 5 years ago. And a jag. But I guess underneath the g11 is about the same vintage.

I was trying to hold out for the new fully elec XJ before making a final decision, then the pandemic hit, the new XJ got cancelled so I jumped to BMW.

I looked at the 740, but found a stunning offer on a 745… did the side by side and went for it.

Thus far the ev driving is perfect for me.

That XF was the only diesel I've ever had and ever will have. Phev or ev from now on!
Appreciate 2
Googsy22.50
Zodiac46.00
      11-02-2021, 03:32 AM   #13
willin11
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Awesome, congratulations. Carbon black is a gorgeous color and your ride looks amazing!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 12:08 PM   #14
psyrd
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willin11 View Post
Awesome, congratulations. Carbon black is a gorgeous color and your ride looks amazing!
Thanks. It's very smart and turns just enough heads as to not shout "look at me, look at me"; being de-badged helps I think.

It's also important that it conveys business and personal "success" while not saying "I'm/we're over charging you". That's very important in my line of work.
Appreciate 1
willin11161.50
      11-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #15
The7th
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740xd M Performance

Do a ceramic coating on that carbon black. So so so easy to get it scratched and it will cost you lots to repair.
Dark Side: E53 AMG
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 04:32 PM   #16
psyrd
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7th View Post
Do a ceramic coating on that carbon black. So so so easy to get it scratched and it will cost you lots to repair.
Someone else mentioned that. I'll look into it!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 06:52 PM   #17
golobulus5
Rep
Drives: 740ix, TTRS, E55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
Was this on ethanol? I have been wondering what one of these would run modified. Thats fast for this big girl. I think I saw someone say their m760 with a tune ran a 8.8 60-130 which would mean that stage 2 745 isn't much slower.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 02:55 PM   #18
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by golobulus5 View Post
Was this on ethanol? I have been wondering what one of these would run modified. Thats fast for this big girl. I think I saw someone say their m760 with a tune ran a 8.8 60-130 which would mean that stage 2 745 isn't much slower.
No ethanol, normal pump fuel 93 OCT (98RON). It was a rwd drive car not Xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 02:14 PM   #19
Socaldriver
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 hybrid

Quote:
After much waiting...

It's here.
  • Carbon Black
  • M Sport Pro Pack
  • Black Nappa leather
  • Black wood trim
  • Blue brake callipers
  • Through loading

A man nod from me. 20-25 is good miles. I have an X5 45e and it's good for 30 miles electric here in Southern California. I'm crossing my fingers that BMW will continue to make more X5 or 7 Series hybrids with 75 plus miles of electric range along with the Inline-6
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 08:54 AM   #20
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

A quick question on the 745e. What happens if you go on a long highway trip without using navigation? Does the car drain the battery while driving on the highway effectively draining the battery during the early stages of the trip and you are left with the ICE engine for the remainder of the trip without any battery assist for acceleration? I know the i8 has a battery hold feature, but that is a pointless solution or does the car stop using battery power, if you are driving over a certain speed (say 75 mph) to conserve it for local driving?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 11:26 AM   #21
psyrd
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
A quick question on the 745e. What happens if you go on a long highway trip without using navigation? Does the car drain the battery while driving on the highway effectively draining the battery during the early stages of the trip and you are left with the ICE engine for the remainder of the trip without any battery assist for acceleration? I know the i8 has a battery hold feature, but that is a pointless solution or does the car stop using battery power, if you are driving over a certain speed (say 75 mph) to conserve it for local driving?
BMW recommend you use the SatNav all the time so it can figure it out.

But in the real world... it depends on the engine mode. On Sport the battery is used to fill in turbo lag and top up the bhp, so if you're booting it it'll drain fairly quickly. I've never been in sports mode long enough to do this because... it's a 7 series and that's not really what it's for.

In Hybrid mode I find it uses the battery when below 60 ish on the highway, when semi-coasting and stop/start traffic etc. It does a pretty good job of figuring out what to use: ICE vs EV. It's not yet killed the battery mid journey. The re-gen is good too and even then the battery is 0% it always seems to find enough for a short period on battery (parking up, getting into your village etc)... it's never truly drained.

If you do lots of short trips, sub 20/30 miles return and plug it in daily/nightly the 745e is PERFECT. It's the best of all worlds: clean, quiet, cheap and the ICE is fun and quick when needed.

If you do lots of longer runs, it's the worst of all worlds: 45 lt tank has a tiny range, the B58 block is thirsty and the EV range is tiny.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 01:35 PM   #22
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Quote:
BMW recommend you use the SatNav all the time so it can figure it out.

But in the real world... it depends on the engine mode. On Sport the battery is used to fill in turbo lag and top up the bhp, so if you're booting it it'll drain fairly quickly. I've never been in sports mode long enough to do this because... it's a 7 series and that's not really what it's for.

In Hybrid mode I find it uses the battery when below 60 ish on the highway, when semi-coasting and stop/start traffic etc. It does a pretty good job of figuring out what to use: ICE vs EV. It's not yet killed the battery mid journey. The re-gen is good too and even then the battery is 0% it always seems to find enough for a short period on battery (parking up, getting into your village etc)... it's truly drained.

If you do lots of short trips, sub 20/30 miles return and plug it in daily/nightly the 745e is PERFECT. It's the best of all worlds: clean, quiet, cheap and the ICE is fun and quick when needed.

If you do lots of longer runs, it's the worst of all worlds: 45 lt tank has a tiny range, the B58 block is thirsty and the EV range is tiny.
Thank you. I have a 740 now and am about to lease a new one. I am divided between 740 and 745 as most of the month I drive locally, but once a month I have to go on longer 300+ miles trip. The 740 may still be the best choice for me. On long trips I get 550+ miles on a single tank.
Appreciate 0