BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #23
psyrd
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 745e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyrd View Post
BMW recommend you use the SatNav all the time so it can figure it out.

But in the real world... it depends on the engine mode. On Sport the battery is used to fill in turbo lag and top up the bhp, so if you're booting it it'll drain fairly quickly. I've never been in sports mode long enough to do this because... it's a 7 series and that's not really what it's for.

In Hybrid mode I find it uses the battery when below 60 ish on the highway, when semi-coasting and stop/start traffic etc. It does a pretty good job of figuring out what to use: ICE vs EV. It's not yet killed the battery mid journey. The re-gen is good too and even then the battery is 0% it always seems to find enough for a short period on battery (parking up, getting into your village etc)... it's truly drained.

If you do lots of short trips, sub 20/30 miles return and plug it in daily/nightly the 745e is PERFECT. It's the best of all worlds: clean, quiet, cheap and the ICE is fun and quick when needed.

If you do lots of longer runs, it's the worst of all worlds: 45 lt tank has a tiny range, the B58 block is thirsty and the EV range is tiny.
Thank you. I have a 740 now and am about to lease a new one. I am divided between 740 and 745 as most of the month I drive locally, but once a month I have to go on longer 300+ miles trip. The 740 may still be the best choice for me. On long trips I get 550+ miles on a single tank.
I went with the 745 as the ICE is the meaty in-line 6 vs the 4 pot.

My mean journey is ~20 miles return daily (commute) and to the local town at weekends, again 20 miles there and back. And the phev is perfect! I plug it in nightly too.

Done 650 miles thus far, 500 or so on battery.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 03:17 PM   #24
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyrd View Post
I went with the 745 as the ICE is the meaty in-line 6 vs the 4 pot.

My mean journey is ~20 miles return daily (commute) and to the local town at weekends, again 20 miles there and back. And the phev is perfect! I plug it in nightly too.

Done 650 miles thus far, 500 or so on battery.
That is great! Perfect solution for your needs.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 11:19 AM   #25
psyrd
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5506m View Post
That is great! Perfect solution for your needs.
Yeah, it's spot on for me but for other a PHEV or an EV for that matter would be a nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 12:55 PM   #26
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

That is how i use the I8 and I am doing 89.5 MPG through the life of the car. Granted I only have 3,750 miles on the car, but still not bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #27
matowi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: carless at the moment

Garage List
A lovely car

I noticed your headrest point in the opening post. I had the same complaint... Head too far from the headrest, almost making it useless (the headrest I mean, not the head, lol)

So, I fiddled with the little lever that adjusts the upper part of the backrest. And presto, within a short while I found the perfect position. These comfort seats BMW makes are darn good, I have to give them that

Worth testing out if the same remedy will work for you, I guess

Other than that, just love the car. And oh... I have the same rims on mine, but with winter tires. I went with 21" (BMW's M Performance 650M wheel style) with Pirelli PZ4s for the summer. Comfort-wise, no compromise all is good. Looks-wise... great improvement

And, oh, yes - definitely do a transparent wrap or ceramic coating. Swirls come out nasty on unprotected black paint, no matter how you wash it

Had '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 07:01 PM   #28
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

How many miles can you drive with full battery and full tank of gas????

Can you drive 800 miles?
      11-27-2021, 01:41 AM   #29
psyrd
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post
How many miles can you drive with full battery and full tank of gas????

Can you drive 800 miles?
Morning!

On a single charge it's much less, maybe ~300-350. It's only a 45 lt tank and a 12K battery.

I got the 745e on 10 Oct with a full tank and delivery miles (~8 I think). Since then, I charge up every night and have done 908 miles in total and around 600 (or so) on battery, and I filled it up for the first time the other day. A nice full tank of RON99!

I do lots of short trips - around 20 miles return with some highway. The ICE kicks in for around 1-3 miles per trip, the rest is ev, that's my commute. The rest is just pottering around at weekends, trips out, but all local etc.

This is the main failure point of PHEV: if you do lots of long runs it's rubbish! Tiny battery, tiny fuel tank.
Appreciate 1
nathanm4682.00