BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-07-2021, 07:37 AM   #1
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

Your New BMW Might Not Have A Touchscreen

BMW is shipping new cars with its infotainment system, like normal, except several models won’t have touchscreen functionality, according to reports. Instead, you’ll have to use BMW’s iDrive control in the center console. The horror!

Certain models are going to lose their touchscreen functionality to save silicon and allow BMW to maintain its current production levels. The news broke on the Bimmerfest forum.

The following models are going to be shipped without touchscreen functionality.
  • BMW 3 Series
  • BMW 4 Series Coupe, Convertible and Gran Coupe (excluding the i4)
  • BMW X5
  • BMW X6
  • BMW X7
  • BMW Z4

Autoblog also says that customers will get a $500 credit instead of the functionality, which really may be a blessing in disguise for everyone involved, given that touchscreens in cars are generally bad and useless, or at least I have never encountered one that wasn’t, if it can be controlled any other way. And I do mean the touchscreen functionality, specifically, given that the screens in modern cars are often sort of far away and small and the touchscreen experience isn’t how you might imagine it. Which is to say that it isn’t at all like using an iPad. It is like using an iPad but 100 times clunkier, even if it looks cool momentarily while the salesperson fiddles around with it at the dealer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 07:45 AM   #2
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Time to wake up and dont have other countries produce chips for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 10:07 AM   #3
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

NBD. I rarely touch mine. As in, never.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 12:23 PM   #4
Zodiac
Private
Rep
Drives: G11 750i, M5 E60, M6 F12

Well, I did resign on M5 F90 and went for another 7 series as I was told already 2 montsh back that few minor items were scratched from the standard equipment list, most notable one was inductive charger for my phone. Since I started using CarPlay, I don't use any cables to connect my phone in car and I don't want to pay (quite huge for me) amounts of cash to get a product that is missing even minor equipment, especially that I was aiming for almost fully equipped build (minus carbon brakes).

I was told that there will be some minor removals and changes as well, a lot of things under the hood are sourced from new/external manufacturers.

This makes me also worried when it comes to new 7 series production, I wonder if BMW will be able to produce reliable amount of those cars for lunch window next year. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #5
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

I usually don't use the touchscreen except for Waze through CarPlay. That is a recent development until Figure out the functions through the controller or at least get comfortable using them.

What is much more concerning is the continuous de-contenting of options from new cars, from the examples of the loaners I've had and even the showroom models have:

1) No napa dashboard
2) No ACC, after having this I don't think I can get a car without it.
3) No wireless charger, even on my 2022 740 loaner!
4) No 3D camera system
5) and now shortage of touchscreens

Even if the g12 is insulated from some of these shortages , it is definitely not 100% immune. No wonder used car prices are soaring especially well equipped models with ACC and Executive packages.
      11-09-2021, 07:40 AM   #6
macmk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 730d (2021) in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK22 View Post
I usually don't use the touchscreen except for Waze through CarPlay. That is a recent development until Figure out the functions through the controller or at least get comfortable using them.

What is much more concerning is the continuous de-contenting of options from new cars, from the examples of the loaners I've had and even the showroom models have:

1) No napa dashboard
4) No 3D camera system

Even if the g12 is insulated from some of these shortages , it is definitely not 100% immune. No wonder used car prices are soaring especially well equipped models with ACC and Executive packages.
Woah, that's bad. I do hope that already ordered (in June...) models will have all the advertised equipment. Would be pretty sad to decline delivery after 6+ months of waiting.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:51 AM   #7
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmk View Post
Quote:

1) No napa dashboard
4) No 3D camera system

Woah, that's bad. I do hope that already ordered (in June...) models will have all the advertised equipment. Would be pretty sad to decline delivery after 6+ months of waiting.
I'm sure you'll be fine, I'm just concerned there's not much to go around. Pretty sure they will fulfill the ordered spec cars before they load up the floor models.
      11-09-2021, 08:59 AM   #8
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
My lease is up next year. If the decontenting continues, I will either extend or even buy at lease end. I would be looking at a '23 750, and if the flagship is decontented, I'd just as soon wait.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 09:00 AM   #9
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:

1) No napa dashboard
4) No 3D camera system

Do 7 series actually have a napa dashboard - does it actually say that? Or is it just the "leather" option like in my 6. That stuff, although smooth like napa, is what is called "bonded leather," which is ground up leather scraps mixed with binders and other stuff. Basically the leather version of what's in a hot dog.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 04:42 PM   #10
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
Do 7 series actually have a napa dashboard - does it actually say that? Or is it just the "leather" option like in my 6. That stuff, although smooth like napa, is what is called "bonded leather," which is ground up leather scraps mixed with binders and other stuff. Basically the leather version of what's in a hot dog.
Nappa leather dashboard is an option in the 7, and appears distinctly different from the Sensatec imitation leather dashboard option in other trim levels. I don't know what goes into the 6's, but the nappa leather dash in the 7 looks identical to the seat surface.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #11
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
I have gotten very used to the touchscreen, especially for Carplay, which seems set up for touch. I have it on my G12, and also on a G01. My wife's MB E450 wagon does not have it and there is a world of difference. Yes, there are lots of things that can be done with the i Drive controller, but the touchscreen is easier for many, including moving the map on the screen to see more of where you are headed. My 750 lease is up next year and if there is no touchscreen, I will not accept a new one with out it. I'd rather extend the lease or (depending on where prices go) buy the car off lease, and wait for the chip shortage to abate. I am hoping that will be by the time the '23s are out and that BMW will figure out a way to stop decontenting. There is already no audio upgrade available in the on line 750 configurator, no night vision, no laser headlights. Night vision may be a casualty of not enough demand but top end audio and top end headlights should be available on top end cars.

Last edited by AlteBMW; 11-19-2021 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
KK22137.50
      11-19-2021, 07:34 AM   #12
BootlegBurton
Private
Rep
Drives: 750li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post
NBD. I rarely touch mine. As in, never.
Same. Ive determined that the oil on my skin is a super mutant variant that cannot be cleaned off touch screens, so i keep my slimy hands off LOLOL
Appreciate 0