BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-11-2019, 11:20 PM   #1
inque1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 740i

What I hate about Carplay

I have a 16' 740i and I just to share the things I hate about Carplay:

1. I hate that you can't read text messages or mails
2. I hate that using maps in Carplay mutes your music with directions (versus reduced volume with BMW NAV)
3. I hate that there is no audible ding when you receive new messages
4. I hate that Headsup display does not work with Carplay maps.
5. I wish Google Voice had a Carplay app.

Feel free to leave your comments below either agreeing or disagreeing with me.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 04:11 AM   #2
Zodiac
Private
Rep
Drives: G11 750i, M5 E60, M6 F12

Yes, I call it CrapPlay myself. I am using it only for few days, but already got a headache trying to reconnect CarPlay after updating iOS.

Overall quality of software both on BMW and Apple side (not sure who to blame here, so I blame both :P ) is really not what I expected.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
I wish I can read emails too but I think it's disabled for safety reasons. My biggest gripe is sometimes text notifications don't show up.
      12-12-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
I wish I can read emails too but I think it's disabled for safety reasons. My biggest gripe is sometimes text notifications don't show up.
No way BMW (or Apple) would let you read texts or emails on the screen while driving. The lawyers wouldn't let them. I've gotten very used to the text/reading/voice response system and it works very well. I have had some success getting Siri to read emails, but sometimes it won't allow it; the idrive system wouldn't show or read emails either.

Muting for map instructions would be nice but I don't consider it necessary. Waze works pretty well with voice alerts.

Heads up display of Waze or Google maps would be great, I agree.

Bottom line for me is Carplay has some quirks but I do not consider it a disaster. For phone calls, it is IMHO way better than than idrive, and I like being able to listen to ballgames on MLB At Bat and radio stations on iheart Radio or Tune in. It's been improved from the earlier versions for sure and hopefully Apple and BMW can figure out some of the quirks.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:16 PM   #5
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
No way BMW (or Apple) would let you read texts or emails on the screen while driving. The lawyers wouldn't let them. I've gotten very used to the text/reading/voice response system and it works very well. I have had some success getting Siri to read emails, but sometimes it won't allow it; the idrive system wouldn't show or read emails either.

Muting for map instructions would be nice but I don't consider it necessary. Waze works pretty well with voice alerts.

Heads up display of Waze or Google maps would be great, I agree.

Bottom line for me is Carplay has some quirks but I do not consider it a disaster. For phone calls, it is IMHO way better than than idrive, and I like being able to listen to ballgames on MLB At Bat and radio stations on iheart Radio or Tune in. It's been improved from the earlier versions for sure and hopefully Apple and BMW can figure out some of the quirks.
I just wished text notifications worked 100% of the time!