BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-29-2018, 08:55 PM   #23
3Pedals_6Speeds
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535

F10 owner looking at 7-series.

I know in the F10 the base seats are different than the comfort seats (different seat back, and foam levels). I've heard with the new 5-series that the ventilated seats are much less plush than the standard or comfort seats. Is it possible the "base" 7-series seat is more 'plush' than the ventilated seats? It seems that for wither the massaging function, or ventilation, the seat might need to have less foam, which could lead to less long-range comfort.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 04:35 AM   #24
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I've had both the comfort seat and the M multi function seat in F10 5 series, the latter being a more heavily bolstered version of the comfort seat for the M5, I'd say the new comfort seats fitted to the G generation of cars are not as big or as deeply bolster or as firm as the previous F generation, almost like an accountant was set to work to shave the pennies here and there.

Perfectly acceptable but they don't have the wow factor of the old seats.
      12-30-2018, 05:32 AM   #25
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

It’s not the accountants, it is the constant striving for weight savings to contribute to the required reduction in CO2/km they must achieve. There will of course be some things that take cost out, but others that add cost in, but net net, marginal impact to cost.
      12-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #26
3Pedals_6Speeds
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
I've had both the comfort seat and the M multi function seat in F10 5 series, the latter being a more heavily bolstered version of the comfort seat for the M5, I'd say the new comfort seats fitted to the G generation of cars are not as big or as deeply bolster or as firm as the previous F generation, almost like an accountant was set to work to shave the pennies here and there.

Hmmm..... One of the things I expected in moving up to the 7 was (as a minimum) equally 'wow' seat comfort, plus all the other amenities. Obviously a big upgrade elsewhere, but the thing we love most about our 535 is the comfort on our long (12-14 hour) runs back and forth across the eastern US 2-3 times a year.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 01:47 AM   #27
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Master View Post
I might have the most sensitive Ass or back out there or am I loosing it. I have a 750 with the comfort/massage function and when I bought the car I assumed it will be the most comfortable seat I ever owned. I feel horrible after even short rides and my ass goes numb after a long one. I tried every configuration and I asked the dealer to figure out if there was a problem. Now I also drive a Z4 and a 328 so I didn't come from a Bentley or a Rolls Royce.

Anyone else think that's an issue!!! I drove a loaner without the massage function and the seats were comfortable. I am Not sure if the padding is removed with the massage for the bottom part of the seat. Now I am seriously looking to buy a seat cushion for my 750 and my brain is not willing to do that yet as it makes no sense!!!!
Honestly, BMW seats are not designed for total couch comfort. The Germans don't want you to be so comfortable that you fall asleep.

The 7's seats are designed for excellent support.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #28
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post

I do not agree with this, having had two F10s before my current G12. The G12 seats are npticeably better than the F10 seats IMHO. In fact, one of the most impressive things about my G12 test drive (a few months before mine was delivered) was the seat comfort, which was immediately apparent. This is entirely subjective of course, and I did not have massage in either of the F10s. The G12 seat comfort has been repeatedly confimed in the two years+ that I've had mine. Comfort was impeccable on a 2300 mile round trip NY to Florida last year (no seat issues for either me or my wife) as well as two trips NY-Massachusetts, and many other trips of several hour duration.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 08:13 PM   #29
3Pedals_6Speeds
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
I do not agree with this, having had two F10s before my current G12. The G12 seats are npticeably better than the F10 seats IMHO. In fact, one of the most impressive things about my G12 test drive (a few months before mine was delivered) was the seat comfort, which was immediately apparent. This is entirely subjective of course, and I did not have massage in either of the F10s. The G12 seat comfort has been repeatedly confimed in the two years+ that I've had mine. Comfort was impeccable on a 2300 mile round trip NY to Florida last year (no seat issues for either me or my wife) as well as two trips NY-Massachusetts, and many other trips of several hour duration.
Thanks for your reply. Can you tell us what seats you had in the F10 (standard or comfort with the articulated back?)

Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:34 AM   #30
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
But you're arguing against a point I did not make, read my post again I made no mention of the comfort afforded by the seats.
      01-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #31
BruutMooieWagen
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: i7 60, X5 45e TB, G11 740d SMB

Garage List
Hi guys, I also have the comfort seats on my G11 (my18 03/17) with massage and ventilation (and nappa leather) the drivers side feels very hard like I am sitting on the seat frame en there is to little or no foam. Also I think that the adjustment is to limited compared to other bmw's with comfort seats. I had a compressed nerve in my back which caused me to limp a bit and had pain while walking but not sure if it is related (no it's not age related :-) . Today I got my car back after it's been at the dealer for more then a month and loved the comfort seats on my loaner car (640i GT). During that time I was resolved from al my backache. Hope it stays away now I got my car back. I do hope I enjoy the seats on the LCI or X7 a bit more when I make the leap.
Appreciate 0