BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #1
DrANW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 750i M-Sport

Rear Entertainment Professional Issues

Any of you have a G12 with this rear entertainment system and a streaming device w/HDMI? Our vehicle was built in November 2018 and delivered in late February.

Frustratingly, we are unable to get Roku, Chromecast, and a multitude of devices to work with the rear screens. All it does is display a message along the lines of "HDMI format...not supported....".

Dealership is proving to be obtuse about this issue, as if they've never seen a G12 with this system before. The next nearest dealer is over 200 miles away in ABQ.

Before even working on the vehicle, they made us resubscribe to AT&T in car services, which we had disconnected once we realized HDMI wasn't working. I don't see what displaying an audio/visual HDMI has to do with Wi-Fi or lack thereof.

Currently in an X2 loaner and do not know what to make of this absurd situation. Vehicle had been brought in for its first service on December 30, in which I brought up this issue.

I provided them both a Roku device and a Chromecast device as well. They gave the car back in early Jan and claimed we should bring it back on the 27th/28th, for "their engineer" to diagnose.

These devices work just fine on many TVs, in other friends' BMWs and in an MB GLE C AMG (C292).

I am annoyed at the dealer insulting my intelligence, by claiming there are differences between MYs of G12 (pre-LCI) and that somehow this just doesn't work in our vehicle by design.

We brought the vehicle back on Monday, expecting a loaner while its worked on. Got the run around and was forced to just come back the next day, because they again tried to blame our lack of WI-Fi subscription on no HDMI devices working in the vehicle and to activate it first.

After paying for the AT&T Wi-Fi, my theory of it not making a difference was proven correct. Forced them to accept the vehicle yesterday morning and diagnose it once and for all with personal devices I provided again.

They are now claiming, that some HDMI device of theirs worked by mirroring a laptop, so there's supposedly no issue with the HDMI port, yet my devices work in other vehicles just fine and on TVs.

I am exasperated at this point.

I believe they need to fix the HDMI port under warranty, as a few people have suggested that could be the issue. They keep playing obtuse with this matter and it's annoying, if not sometimes condescending how they point out silly reasons as an excuse.

A key factor in choosing this 2019 750i M-Sport, was this Rear Entertainment Professional option, for a girl with autism to be kept entertained (as with previous vehicles) on the go. It was the only 2019 G12 available in the whole country, that wasn't an M760i V12.

For a $140k vehicle, this just doesn't make sense "by design", when more affordable BMWs and older G12s have no issue.
Attached Images

Last edited by DrANW; 02-05-2020 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
DrANW
United_States
Rep

Seems like nobody has anything to suggest? I only created this thread and typed it out at length, so there would be little to no questions to ask about the situation. Seems like G11/G12 section is quite dead compared to others.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 02:08 AM   #3
bigmac f02+g12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17f15,18G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANW View Post
Seems like nobody has anything to suggest? I only created this thread and typed it out at length, so there would be little to no questions to ask about the situation. Seems like G11/G12 section is quite dead compared to others.
I have the same hook up in my18 and have the same issue I tried everything as well I even purchased the iPhone to hdmi plug that works but still could not mirror everything on my iPhone mainly my cable apps that I have from my cable company (Comcast) strange part is I downloaded the same apps on the tablet and they work smh if I could recall it said something about protocol so I just started playing movies that I had in my iTunes because who wants a backseat full of dvds everywhere so what I winded up doing was I installed a Apple TV in the back and haven't had a problem since one of the main issues in my opinion is our cars are based on Apple products except for the tablet of course which is Andriod and u should be able to mirror the tablet to the screens other issue that I have currently is one I coded video in motion but for a price tag of almost 130k!!! U would think that they would be able to sync with the front screen to all play together secondly I find it strange that head unit will only play regular dvds while the rear will play regular dvds and blue ray I feel like they got one over on us with that one for the amount of money we paid for these vehicles
      02-06-2020, 02:55 AM   #4
Wonks20
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Bmw i3 Rex & 2019 750i M

My 7 series is close to 120k I do not have the rear entertainment system so I can't comment on that but you paid 140k for the car just to have an entertainment system? Yikes that's steep! It would've been cheaper and better to just attach an iPad pro instead of the entertainment system that came equipped in the car that's not even working.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 03:41 AM   #5
ewoody
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M760e xDrive (2x)

Garage List
I have the 7 LCI with rear entertainement. Everthings works fine for me.

Even now everthing is connected! From the front screen I have access to the HDMI port, bluray player and the usb ports in the back. And the back screens (Touchscreens!) I have access to the DVD Player and the usb ports in the front!

Also I'm mirroring with the Apple HDMI adaptor an old Iphone and so I have access to Itunes, Netflix and Amazon Prime Videos. Everything works perfect as long as you have a good connection... and it works on the front screen too!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:29 PM   #6
DrANW
United_States
Rep

Got the car back and they fixed the issue, by replacing the HDMI module. They claim it was damaged (possibly by child with autism kicking it inadvertently) and got it done.

Horrible X2 28i loaner given back. The BMW "genius" at that dealership is one clueless man, forcing me to subscribe to AT&T Wifi to fix a damaged HDMI port. Then after that, claiming the tires need replacing over bubbling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac f02+g12 View Post
I have the same hook up in my18 and have the same issue I tried everything as well I even purchased the iPhone to hdmi plug that works but still could not mirror everything on my iPhone mainly my cable apps that I have from my cable company (Comcast) strange part is I downloaded the same apps on the tablet and they work smh if I could recall it said something about protocol so I just started playing movies that I had in my iTunes because who wants a backseat full of dvds everywhere so what I winded up doing was I installed a Apple TV in the back and haven't had a problem since one of the main issues in my opinion is our cars are based on Apple products except for the tablet of course which is Andriod and u should be able to mirror the tablet to the screens other issue that I have currently is one I coded video in motion but for a price tag of almost 130k!!! U would think that they would be able to sync with the front screen to all play together secondly I find it strange that head unit will only play regular dvds while the rear will play regular dvds and blue ray I feel like they got one over on us with that one for the amount of money we paid for these vehicles
Wow, how unfortunate and ridiculous. Sorry to hear that, as I'm still disappointed in even how the REP still pales in comparison to a relative's fully loaded UK spec 2017 740Li, which has a multitude of more features than our USA cars.

BTW, I never knew one could mirror anything to the front iDrive and all rear screens simultaneously. I'll try that.

Just got the car back and while the Roku Streaming Stick+ still doesn't work, the other devices now do thankfully such as Roku Premiere+ which uses messier HDMI cables.

On our 2016 740i, the Touch Command tablet had more space available, but for some reason the 2019 750i doesn't have any space for apps, where I barely squeezed in Roku.

Last edited by DrANW; 02-06-2020 at 09:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:46 PM   #7
DrANW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonks20 View Post
My 7 series is close to 120k I do not have the rear entertainment system so I can't comment on that but you paid 140k for the car just to have an entertainment system? Yikes that's steep! It would've been cheaper and better to just attach an iPad pro instead of the entertainment system that came equipped in the car that's not even working.
Yes, it seems silly of course. Finding a car with the same rear luxury packs as our well equipped 740i plus extras we couldn't wait for in 2015, was proving impossible.

We wanted something in Imperial Blue or Azurite Black Individual, but a 2019 740i that matched our vehicle feature for feature was hard to trace. All the good ones were sold out, ditto for 750i, except for this one which had nearly every option and the rear entertainment system.

The original dealer added 650M wheels hiked up the price by over $6k. Don't really care for them at all. Asked them to remove these wheels after dealer trade from The Woodlands TX, but local dealer refused and said they were part of the build order, that we couldn't swap them out for the already sticker included $1,300 648M wheels.

We gave up and just knocked down $14k prior to delivery and forced the paid maintenance to be included free of charge. On our 2016, maintenance was free and got them to cover it on the 2019.

Anyway, they fixed the rear system finally. The Roku Streaming Stick+ works on TVs, but no longer in the car. Roku Premiere+ and Chromecast work well. Kid is happy.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 09:50 PM   #8
DrANW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoody View Post

Even now everthing is connected! From the front screen I have access to the HDMI port, bluray player and the usb ports in the back. And the back screens (Touchscreens!) I have access to the DVD Player and the usb ports in the front!

Also I'm mirroring with the Apple HDMI adaptor an old Iphone and so I have access to Itunes, Netflix and Amazon Prime Videos. Everything works perfect as long as you have a good connection... and it works on the front screen too!
Wow, interesting to hear. Deliberately passed on the LCi because of front end and timing, but too bad it brought so much nice content to the table. Oh well, have to live with that. Congratulations on your lovely vehicle.
Appreciate 1
ewoody84.00
      02-06-2020, 09:58 PM   #9
Al Pină
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrANW View Post
Got the car back and they fixed the issue, by replacing the HDMI module. They claim it was damaged (possibly by child with autism kicking it inadvertently) and got it done.

Horrible X2 28i loaner given back. The BMW "genius" at that dealership is one clueless man, forcing me to subscribe to AT&T Wifi to fix a damaged HDMI port. Then after that, claiming the tires need replacing over bubbling.

Quote:
Wow, how unfortunate and ridiculous. Sorry to hear that, as I'm still disappointed in even how the REP still pales in comparison to a relative's fully loaded UK spec 2017 740Li, which has a multitude of more features than our USA cars.

BTW, I never knew one could mirror anything to the front iDrive and all rear screens simultaneously. I'll try that.

Just got the car back and while the Roku Streaming Stick+ still doesn't work, the other devices now do thankfully such as Roku Premiere+ which uses messier HDMI cables.

On our 2016 740i, the Touch Command tablet had more space available, but for some reason the 2019 750i doesn't have any space for apps, where I barely squeezed in Roku.
X2 28i as a loaner for a 7-Series?! Your dealer sucks balls. You must be in a smaller market with no competition between dealerships. We always get a 7 or an 8 as a loaner (Chicago).
      02-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #10
DrANW
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
X2 28i as a loaner for a 7-Series?! Your dealer sucks balls. You must be in a smaller market with no competition between dealerships. We always get a 7 or an 8 as a loaner (Chicago).
Wow, another 7 or 8 as a loaner? So disappointing what one has to deal with here, with X1s, X2s and 330i sedans as loaners. Very fat chance unfortunately, that a second BMW dealer will open up to rival BMW of El Paso.

I don't the see local market for it, considering that they barely just opened the first local Porsche dealer in over 3 decades over 1 year ago. Lost Volvo for one year and barely reopened in a proper showroom. Land Rover barely opened over 5 years ago and Audi in 2010. No Tesla store here even, let alone anything exotic. Maserati is barely even official at a local FCA store (Chrysler Dodge Jeep).

When we had a Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas (X308) years ago, we got base early 2000s Ford Taurus', smelly Enterprise rentals, and used lot Mercury Marquis as loaners. Closest Ford dealer (of 3) owned Jaguar of El Paso back then.

At best, on two servicing occasions (in 2002 & 2003), S-Types. Never even a basic XJ8, not even a lowly X-Type. They destroyed that Jaguar for us with their incompetence, so onto BMW we went and got a 2016 740i. That Jag held on for dear life for 15 1/2 years, in and out of service.

I am still seeing local culture seep into that again at BMW and it's concerning, how they cannot diagnose basic issues nor know what professional customer service is in many cases. Oh well.

Last edited by DrANW; 02-06-2020 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #11
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

You cannot mirror the tablet to the screens! I've tried everything I know with no success. If you managed to mirror your tablet, please let me know how?

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #12
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

What adaptor are you using to mirror the iPhone? Thanks

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 01:58 PM   #13
ewoody
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M760e xDrive (2x)

Garage List
This one

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...B45c4%252B45b0
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 11:36 PM   #14
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep

Thanks! I wonder if this will work for me on my 2016...

Quote:
Appreciate 0