BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
GnatGoSplat
Rep
Drives: Acura MDX

Congrats to whoever bought my dream car.

Black on black, exactly what I wanted.
Fully loaded w/executive lounge, only missing headlight washers (don't care), park assist, and night vision.
Then I saw the price and mileage and went.
I called the voice #, they transferred me, "Extension 6110 is not available", they hung up. I texted. They told me to call the "Out of State Department". I called several times, each time on hold 15-minutes, then click - dialtone. Texted back, "hey, your phone is broken". They texted back, "Car is still available! We'll have someone call you." Waited. Nothing. Next day, tried calling "Out of State Dept" again, finally got through! "Car is Unavailable!" NOOOOOO!!!! There went my hopes and dreams.

My sadness is someone else's joy, so congrats to that person! What a steal of a deal, I can't imagine dealers confuse Alpina B7s with 750is very often. Deal of a lifetime somebody got.

https://www.7post.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1603913624
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

Wow! What a deal. Just be patient. There is always another car.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

That dealer sells junk anyway
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN1111 View Post
Wow! What a deal. Just be patient. There is always another car.
Exactly.

That said, it seems like a crazy number. Has to be more to the story.

There was a black ‘17 Alpina with low miles that was at Bramman BMW for awhile. That might have been the car if it got passed onto another dealer. Clean carfax and low miles. Bramman had it for awhile. I was very interested but kept insisting they send me the actual service records. Took about 7-10 days for them to finally send them. The car had blown 3 heads, and while it was repaired, I knew the car was not one I wanted.

Keep looking.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 04:52 PM   #5
GnatGoSplat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
That dealer sells junk anyway
Mostly true, from what I've dug up, they buy all their cars from auction and sell them as-is. Auction cars are a gamble. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't. I definitely would have gotten a pre-purchase inspection from an indy in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post
Exactly.

That said, it seems like a crazy number. Has to be more to the story.

There was a black ‘17 Alpina with low miles that was at Bramman BMW for awhile. That might have been the car if it got passed onto another dealer. Clean carfax and low miles. Bramman had it for awhile. I was very interested but kept insisting they send me the actual service records. Took about 7-10 days for them to finally send them. The car had blown 3 heads, and while it was repaired, I knew the car was not one I wanted.

Keep looking.
I'm thinking main reason for the price is they have it listed as a 750i. Their KBB comparison price is $51,205, which is inline with a 750i, but way off for a B7. It seems crazy a dealership would make such a mistake, but from all the reviews on dealerrater, yelp, BBB, etc. it looks like this is a big chain dealership with a chaotic work environment, mass number of cars moving in and out, poor level of communication between employees, a crap computer system, quantity sales quotas, and a whole lot of incompetence. They don't even sell out of state directly, they have a complete seperate department that handles that for multiple locations. With that much disconnect, a legit mistake seemed plausible.

Carfax is still up for it.
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...7F2C35HG543889

It didn't look terrible. Started out as a lease car in Quebec, 1 rear accident reported. Owner then kept it another year after that, so possibly the accident wasn't that bad. Then it ended up in AR for a month before being bought by HGreg and moved to FL. Nothing mechanical listed. I would think major issues like blown heads would have been reported by a BMW dealer, since it likely would have been serviced by the dealer under warranty. I did wonder if there's a deeper story behind it, and if so, PPI might have revealed it. I hope for the next owner's sake they're having a PPI done.

I'm definitely going to keep looking, though I've only budgeted for a 750i. I can't justify the extra cost for extra power I really don't need. If I could have gotten a B7 for the price of a 750i though, I would have been ecstatic.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #6
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Damage reported = dealbreaker to me. Who needs that headache with so many options out there?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 08:31 PM   #7
GnatGoSplat
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post
Damage reported = dealbreaker to me. Who needs that headache with so many options out there?
I've read a lot of used cars have been in accidents, had body work done, and it's never been reported to Carfax. Any body work not reported to insurance also won't show up on Carfax. I've seen several articles that say brand new cars damaged in-transit or in the dealer's possession may also have unreported body work and they're not always required to disclose.
https://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/06/...damage-repair/

Since there's virtually no way to guarantee any car I buy hasn't had some kind of previous damage, I'd probably just rely on a PPI to tell me if the body work was done right.
Appreciate 0