BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

08-18-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
7 series v 8 series thoughts?

What are people's thoughts on the difference between a G11/12 LCI 7 and an 8 series coupe?

Obviously the reason for asking is I'm considering both for my next car and curious to hear viewpoints before test driving the 8.

from reviews and what I've read elsewhere:

8 feels more sporty and is more involved when driving and is a fair bit shorter than even the G11 7.

7 is more relaxing to drive and requires less input but still has the edge for luxury.

I should add my wife hates my 7 due to the looks and length...so considering the 8 as she finds it looks far better than a 7 and it is quite a bit shorter than a 7...(as the coupe)

Reverse side of that is she won't drive the 7 as its too big so I've not had any 'sorry, I've curbed the alloys, or, sorry, I don't know where that dent/scratch came from...' discussions with her like we've had about her 4 series!

thanks for any input, I'm looking forward to driving it myself but wanted to get more feedback before actually trying it myself.

Safe travels.
      08-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #2
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

I considered an 8 when I bought the 7. But given I have 2 young kids it didn't make sense to get the 8.

I do like the current 8 series. But I didn't think it was as relaxing a drive as the 7. It's a very capable car and if I didn't have kids and hadn't subsequently driven the 7 I may have gone with an 8.

But for my tastes the 7 was a nicer place to sit and didn't feel as 'cramped'. Even though the 8 is still a big car.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #3
Epiplatys
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M760Li 2018

I own both. My wife loves the 8 series, and prefers it driving almost dedicatedly. I by far prefer the 7 series.
The M850i is a little more sporty, at the expense of some comfort. Less refined for both comfort, space, systems. Feels a little cheap inside.
The seven series to me is much more attractive and complete package. Plenty quick and sporty, while comfortable, really refined and polished and pretty much every respect.
Both are nice cars however, comes down to personal preferences.
      08-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
NewQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 750i

I actually don't like the 8.

For a car at the top of the totem pole, it's remarkably unremarkable, in my opinion.

Specifically the interior and the ride. Both are okay, but they should be amazing. The interior is probably the biggest letdown for me. If this had been the new 6, I would have been okay with it, but looking at a vast expanse of nothing on the dash on the passenger side seems odd for a flagship.

The 7 is much more in keeping with its flagship status, in terms of its quality and refinement.

The 8 will obviously make some sacrifices those areas, but I think they went too far.

It puts the 8 in a weird position, for someone who wants a car that's more luxurious than a 911, sportier than an S-Class Coupe, but can't afford an Aston Martin. That seems like a very specific target demographic, and I'm not surprised BMW has struggled to sell them.

Truthfully, for a car in that category, I would prefer the LC500. That car is more about turning heads, looking cool, long-distance comfort, interior luxury, and road-holding. In my opinion, that's more in line with the mission of the last few big personal luxury coupes, as opposed to power and handling, which is what BMW seemed to prioritize.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #5
Epiplatys
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M760Li 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post
Truthfully, for a car in that category, I would prefer the LC500. That car is more about turning heads, looking cool, long-distance comfort, interior luxury, and road-holding. In my opinion, that's more in line with the mission of the last few big personal luxury coupes, as opposed to power and handling, which is what BMW seemed to prioritize.
I entirely agree with your overall assessment. Though I do like the M850i, just not as much as the seven series.
I LOVE LC500. That would have been my choice and I tried to steer things that way But the wife test drove both the LC500 and M850i and fell in love with the 850 power, familiar ergo's and to be fair far better HUD, infotainment system etc.
      08-19-2020, 05:17 AM   #6
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
What are people's thoughts on the difference between a G11/12 LCI 7 and an 8 series coupe?

Obviously the reason for asking is I'm considering both for my next car and curious to hear viewpoints before test driving the 8.

from reviews and what I've read elsewhere:

8 feels more sporty and is more involved when driving and is a fair bit shorter than even the G11 7.

7 is more relaxing to drive and requires less input but still has the edge for luxury.

I should add my wife hates my 7 due to the looks and length...so considering the 8 as she finds it looks far better than a 7 and it is quite a bit shorter than a 7...(as the coupe)

Reverse side of that is she won't drive the 7 as its too big so I've not had any 'sorry, I've curbed the alloys, or, sorry, I don't know where that dent/scratch came from...' discussions with her like we've had about her 4 series!

thanks for any input, I'm looking forward to driving it myself but wanted to get more feedback before actually trying it myself.

Safe travels.
Can you get an 8 series on little wheels?

Only joking.... Even though I don’t like the 7 LCI, I still think I’d choose one over an 8 series as that’s not a ‘looker’ either, it will be less comfortable and I really don’t like the latest interiors. Some of the controls look and feel cheap in a 3 series and have no place in something like the 8 series.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 09:52 AM   #7
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiplatys View Post
I own both. My wife loves the 8 series, and prefers it driving almost dedicatedly. I by far prefer the 7 series.
The M850i is a little more sporty, at the expense of some comfort. Less refined for both comfort, space, systems. Feels a little cheap inside.
The seven series to me is much more attractive and complete package. Plenty quick and sporty, while comfortable, really refined and polished and pretty much every respect.
Would anyone happen to know if the new 750 lci exhaust/engine tone sounds similar to a m850i? Or is it toned down for more of a luxury feel?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #8
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
Quote:
Would anyone happen to know if the new 750 lci exhaust/engine tone sounds similar to a m850i? Or is it toned down for more of a luxury feel?
Currently in an M850 and I can safely say that the exhaust on the 750 is waaaay more quiet than this beast.
      08-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #9
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2C View Post
Can you get an 8 series on little wheels?

Only joking.... Even though I don’t like the 7 LCI, I still think I’d choose one over an 8 series as that’s not a ‘looker’ either, it will be less comfortable and I really don’t like the latest interiors. Some of the controls look and feel cheap in a 3 series and have no place in something like the 8 series.
Thanks everyone for the replies so far, all good feedback and confirms my own thoughts so far...I love the 7 and just don't seem to see the same response in the 8. The interior is the same in all the new cars now regarding the centre console and HVAC controls which is a step backwards to me compared to the 7. Whenever I go and configure an 8...I end up back on the 7 and just can't seem to love it...will have to work out how to spin this I guess to the wife as it appears it will be another 7!

Martin2C love it! Can't see small wheels on the 8! (even my wife's 4 series has 19's so are bigger than my 7's...but my sensitive princess behind definitely is happy with the 18's on it. (and it is impossible to curb them as the tire bulges out beyond the alloy so they are still fresh as the day I got it)...

May have to do one of the 'the finance deal was simply too good on the 7 this time love, sorry, maybe next time it can be a different car...'

Safe travels everyone.
      08-19-2020, 01:00 PM   #10
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

Got to admit. I was tempted with this. But thought better of it when I test drove it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #11
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep
Drives: Sleek

Based on your post, I assumed that you already considered the following, and hence why you are stuck between those two classes because I will expect someone going for a car like the 7 Series not to look into 2 door coupes as a choice but more like the 4 door coupe if was for the different exterior style or looks, but I will say it briefly anyway: no matter the difference in looks, comfort (driver and passengers) and convenience (2 vs 4 doors) come first, else you or your wife will soon start hating the car.
short and long drives, 1 driver and max 1 adult passenger - 8 Series coupe or 7 Series (I will not even put kids or small-sized adults in the rear because of the inconvenience of opening the driver's door or the passenger door, followed by the person needing to get out for the rear passengers to get in or out)
short and long drives, 1 driver and 3-4 passengers - 7 Series

The exterior size between the the 7 Series and the 8 Series Coupe is not that of a big difference as such (about 20-50 cm difference in length, width difference negligible, wheelbase difference about 20-40cm) that your wife will hit a curb or anything unless she tries to squeeze the car into an area not suitable for such car sizes, for example, tight parallel parking with curbs on one side, where a difference of even a few centimetres will matter. If such sizes will be a problem then you are looking into the wrong classes for a car that she will drive. No offence meant or intended of course. I also checked your profile for the cars you own and have owned and saw that you already have a short version of the 7 series (G11) and a 3 series cabriolet (F33). The size difference between those 2 is much more significant and this is where size will matter more when it comes to hitting something. What I mean is that if your wife drove the 3 series carbriolet and did not hit anything but she hit some things (curbs, poles, other cars and objects) with the short wheelbase 7 Series, then she will likely hit something with the 8 series Coupe too.

Another thing to keep into consideration given that you say you worry about your wife hitting things, is the door size. If I am not mistaken the 8 Series coupe have bigger doors than the 7 Series.

Maybe you are looking for something that has what both what the 7 Series and the 2-door 3 series provide, sort of a bit of both worlds ... then, an 8 Series might do.

You and your wife need have test drives as driver, front passenger and rear passenger. This will help both of you see the main differences that seperate these two cars.

Last edited by Shantosh Seewooruttun; 08-20-2020 at 08:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 04:55 AM   #12
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantosh Seewooruttun View Post
Based on your post, I assumed that you already considered the following, and hence why you are stuck between those two classes because I will expect someone going for a car like the 7 Series not to look into 2 door coupes as a choice but more like 4 door coupe if was for the different exterior style or looks, but I will say it briefly anyway: no matter the difference in looks, comfort (driver and passengers) and convenience (2 vs 4 doors) comes first, else you or your wife will soon start hating the car.
short and long drives, 1 driver and max 1 adult passenger - 8 Deries coupe or 7 Series (I will not even put kids or small-sized adults in the rear because of the inconvenience of opening the driver's door or the passenger door, followed by the person needing to get out for the rear passengers to get in or out)
short and long drives, 1 driver and 3-4 passengers - 7 Series

The exterior size between the the 7 Series and the 8 Series Coupe is not that of a big difference as such (about 20-50 cm difference in length, width difference negligible, wheelbase difference about 20-40cm) that your wife will hit a curb or anything unless she tries to squeeze the car into an area not suitable for such car sizes, for example, tight parallel parking with curbs on one side, where a difference of even a few centimetres will matter. If such sizes will be a problem then you are looking into the wrong classes for a car that she will drive. No offence meant or intended of course. I also checked your profile for the cars you own and have owned and saw that you already have a short version of the 7 series (G11) and a 3 series cabriolet (F33). The size difference between those 2 is much more significant and this is where size will matter more when it comes to hitting something. What I mean is that if your wife drove the 3 series carbriolet and did not hit anything but she hit some things (curbs, poles, other cars and objects) with the short wheelbase 7 Series, then she will likely hit something with the 8 series Coupe too.

Another thing to keep into consideration given that you say you worry about your wife hitting things, is the door size. If I am not mistaken the 8 Series coupe have bigger doors than the 7 Series.

Maybe you are looking for something that has what both what the 7 Series and the 2-door 3 series provide, sort of a bit of both worlds ... then an 8 Series might do.

You and your wife need have test drives as driver, front passenger and rear passenger. This will help both of you see the main differences that seperate these two cars.
Hi! Thanks for the comments, very much appreciated, especially as I know you took the time to check details.

As with many such forum topics, it's always hard to provide all the details in initial posts as it makes the post quite long and many won't take the time to read it...I do appreciate your points and hope the below answers some of those queries but also helps to explain why I've been thinking the choice is between a 7 and an 8...

Re: 4 door 7 v 2 door coupe 8: yes, initially quite incongruous I admit. The reason is that I love the 7 for the value and luxury it provides, but also because my company car rules are that the car must have 4 doors. If I was left to my own devices, I'd happily go for another 7. end of story.

The reason I'm considering an 8 instead is that one tries to appease the other half...and she hates the 7 for many reasons. She is used to driving much smaller cars and loves sporty looking cars, isn't bothered about the luxury the 7 offers.

We have no kids (none I'll admit too anyway!) and i'd say at least 90 percent of the time i'm alone in the car so 4 doors are really only to meet company rules. Going forward I don't have to worry about that as the rules are changing so I can have whatever I want.

The 8 would be a sporty, shorter car than my 7 and so meet (albeit barely) the minimum criteria my wife would accept...however, it may not meet the relaxed luxury and value for money criteria that I have...we already have a convertible so no need for another and I personally would much rather have luxury than sportiness if it came to one at the exclusion of the other.

Another factor in size is my parking space at home...while my space is a secure off street space, it is very tight and I'd rather not move other things to accommodate a big car...so right now I have about 3 cm either side when parked and only about 5 cm either end when parked and that is tight! You can imagine I'd not want to go bigger but smaller does make it easier IF the wife would start to drive my car (she doesn't currently drive the 7 at all).

The doors on a coupe are indeed longer and we do already have this issue a bit with the 4 series in her space but it isn't the biggest factor...

Again, thanks for the comments and feedback, all good points. I really am a fan of the 7 personally and find the value for money far better than any other car in the BMW range really so am going to be very hard pressed to change from one but was wanting to hear if others had driven the 8 and found it to be a 7 in terms of front seat luxury and passenger comfort but with a sporty shell and in a (slightly) smaller size...it seems not...the 8 seems to be a different beast and is lovely for those that want it but it's not convinced me.

If I have to go shorter to appease the other half with the next car I may just decide to go with a 3 series Alpina which would be a really special estate car that might be the compromise we can both accept but I'll push hard to stay in a 7 first I think!

Safe travels everyone.
      08-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #13
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep

Why not look into the 8 Gran Coupe? Sportier looks and the 4 doors you require. Plus it's 8" longer than the coupe or convertible so actual humans can fit in the back seat.
      08-21-2020, 11:10 PM   #14
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Currently in an M850 and I can safely say that the exhaust on the 750 is waaaay more quiet than this beast.
Is yours a 2020 750? That’s good info

Just test drive an x7 m50i and that thing roared

Love my 740 but damn I loved the rumble and want that

Back on topic, solid suggestion with the gran coupe. Sounds like a good compromise for you
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 11:30 PM   #15
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
Is yours a 2020 750? That’s good info

Just test drive an x7 m50i and that thing roared

Love my 740 but damn I loved the rumble and want that

Back on topic, solid suggestion with the gran coupe. Sounds like a good compromise for you
Nope, mine is a 2019 with MSport exhaust. Sounds pretty decent with the flaps open in sport mode, but it's nowhere near as good as the M850, which many say has a better tone than the M8.
      08-31-2020, 06:11 PM   #16
hbarron3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

What about a B7? A 7er with more power and much nicer then an 8. I feel they need to bring the 8er to the level of an S class coupe. Not even air ride as an option! Plus the exhaust note can be fixed with a mod or flash to open valves if not add aftermarket. I was between an M550 or 16 750ix... got the 7.. Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 07:15 AM   #17
AnnEllie
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW mini

Quote:
I entirely agree with your overall assessment. Though I do like the M850i, just not as much as the BMV 7 series.
I LOVE LC500. That would have been my choice and I tried to steer things that way But the wife test drove both the LC500 and M850i and fell in love with the 850 power, familiar ergo's and to be fair far better HUD, infotainment system etc.
I am a rookie who just came to work in the company, but I also like the BMW 7 series very much! My boss has a BMW 8, but I don’t think it’s not cool enough. Hahaha. I hope I can drive it oneday.
Appreciate 0