BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

09-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Lightbulb Official 2021 S Class Photos and Details

Here is the Official Release.

I hate to say it... It is still the "Class Leader".

I adore that interior! The details and technology are just spot on. And the AMG variant... Oh my!
The only gripe I have is with the tail lamps.

All that said... I will still have my 2020 750 LCI next.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...lass-revealed/

Attached Images

Last edited by TXSTYLE; 09-02-2020 at 01:22 PM..
Appreciate 2
nathanm4682.00
bmr760139.00
      09-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #2
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Yep... I hate the tail lights here and thought from the spy pics that the interior was going to be an absolute disaster.

Still hate the tail end, but that interior turned out amazing (for this class of car). Looks modern and fresh (and I typically hate big screen interiors, #savethebuttons).

If I had to pick a car to be driven in S class wins all day long.

If I had to drive it gimme that B7
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #3
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
I’m not a fan of the latest exterior look, nor this hideous move to a massive iPad central display but there are some truly great improvements coming for safety from this video...(Rear pax airbags, raised side collision, blind spot door leds blinking, better headlights, next level autonomy, etc...hopefully it will push bmw to also up their game with the next 7.

Check out how many seat motors are in an S class seat!

https://youtu.be/_bY8EcDzg3g

Safe travels everyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #4
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Wow... 7 series need to step up!

I would definitely take 2021 S class over the current 7 series.

No comparison.
      09-03-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

Absolutely gorgeous, can't wait to see this in person and eventually get my hands on one

Appreciate 1
stein_325i25076.00
      09-03-2020, 04:58 PM   #6
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

I also hate the sensor integration in to the grill up front. Can't wait to see the AMGs
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 04:09 PM   #7
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep
Drives: Sleek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanm4 View Post

No comparison.
They are 1 generation (5-7 years) apart. It is not appropriate to make such comparisions even though they are available or will be made available during the same period. That being said, I suspect that there will be significant downsides of those newly introduced techs and features. So, do not rush into conclusions. Also, certain things will probably not be made available for certain regions due to local laws, so people may be getting over excited for certain things that they will not even be able to opt for.

Lookwise, I mean in terms of cosmetics, they (W223 vs G11/G12) are not at all far apart despite being 1 generation apart. In fact, I see the W223 more of a step backward in certain areas in terms of looks compared to its predecessor, the W222, but that is subjective.

Last edited by Shantosh Seewooruttun; 09-06-2020 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #8
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantosh Seewooruttun View Post
Quote:

No comparison.
They are 1 generation (5-7 years) apart. It is not appropriate to make such comparisions even though they are available or will be made available during the same period. That being said, I suspect that there will be significant downsides of those newly introduced techs and features. So, do not rush into conclusions. Also, certain things will be probably ot be made available due to local laws, so people may bet getting overexited for certain things that they will not even be able to opt for.

Lookwise, I mean in terms of cosmetics, they (W223 vs G11/G12) are not at all far apart despite being 1 generation apart. In fact, I see the W223 more of step backward in certain areas in terms of looks compared to its predecessor, the W222, but that is subjective.
"...It is not appropriate to make such comparisions even though they are available or will be made available during the same period..."
laughable. Who are you? Yeah, a random stranger on the internet :
I say whatever I want.
      09-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #9
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep

I want to say two main things or downsides - buttons and dials vs mostly touchscreen for the front interface (buttons and dials are more convenient and safer; it is easier and takes less time and less eye contact to use buttons and dials, and this is very important when it comes to the case of the driver using them; Mercedes seem to put a lot of enphasis on safety and yet threw a large touchscreen to replace dials and buttons in front) and secondly, the reliability and durability of all those newly introduced tech and features might be among concerns.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2020, 04:33 PM   #10
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep

Quote:
"...It is not appropriate to make such comparisions even though they are available or will be made available during the same period..."
I say whatever I want.
No offence meant but I wanted to point that generation gap out. You say BMW needs to step up based on comparision between G11/G12 (2015-2022) and W223 (2021), how can you say this, you need wait for the same generation equivalent which will be the G70 and then compare. If indeed BMW need to step up after having seen the G70, I am sure many will be here saying this including me, but not for the case G11 vs W223, and for the case what to go for this year or next year, that is which to buy between the two, how did you even already decide that despite there are very few reviews, trials and tests done by the public yet for the W223 and you yourself not made any for your own decision. That is my point. Take it as good advice or constructive instead of negative.

Last edited by Shantosh Seewooruttun; 09-06-2020 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #11
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I say whatever I want.
No offence meant but I wanted to point that generation gap out. Do not rush into conclusions yet, better wait for trials, tests, reviews including your own.
A normal person understands my post and will never leave comments like you did. You remind me of a manipulative person I know.
      09-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #12
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

I would like to point out that there have been articles stating that Mercedes has listened to and applied input from one of their biggest markets/buyers... Asia. Particularly China.
Technology is fine with me.
But I do agree with the comment of having some buttons for regular commands that are memorized by touch.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #13
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep

Quote:
A normal person understands my post and will never leave comments like you did. You remind me of a manipulative person I know.
Ah... maybe you got bad experience from someone... but I am not him, I can assure you. I hardly post on the forum itself, and in fact, I registered only recently as such after many years as non-registered user on this forum reading what others post.

No manipulative intention here for sure. I will be among the first to criticise BMW or any BMW model when it is required when the car falls under my concern.

Briefly, do not rush into conclusions. Wait for more feedback for the W223, and also wait for the G70.

Last edited by Shantosh Seewooruttun; 09-06-2020 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #14
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:

No comparison.
They are 1 generation (5-7 years) apart. It is not appropriate to make such comparisions even though they are available or will be made available during the same period. That being said, I suspect that there will be significant downsides of those newly introduced techs and features. So, do not rush into conclusions. Also, certain things will probably not be made available for certain regions due to local laws, so people may be getting over exited for certain things that they will not even be able to opt for.

Lookwise, I mean in terms of cosmetics, they (W223 vs G11/G12) are not at all far apart despite being 1 generation apart. In fact, I see the W223 more of a step backward in certain areas in terms of looks compared to its predecessor, the W222, but that is subjective.
Lets be honest, the G11 was behind and needed to step up compared to the W222 and it came out afterwards.
nathanm4682.00
      09-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #15
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Lets be honest, the G11 was behind and needed to step up compared to the W222 and it came out afterwards.
Behind in terms of what? Can you specify?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #16
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ah... maybe you got bad experience from someone... but I am not him, I can assure you. I hardly post on the forum itself, and in fact, I registered only recently as such after many years as non-registered user on this forum reading what others post.

No manipulative intention here for sure. I will be among the first to criticise BMW or any BMW model when it is required when the car falls under my concern.

Briefly, do not rush into conlusions. Wait for more feedback for the W223 and also wait for the G70.
Of course you are not him. You are a similar kind.

Don't try to control others or force your opinion on others. It won't end well for you. I can assure that.
      09-06-2020, 05:33 PM   #17
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep

Quote:

Don't try to control others or force your opinion on others. It won't end well for you. I can assure that.
I am not forcing, what would I gain in this? I dont work for BMW. I am only pointing out something important. I try stay on the neutral side; someone cannot just see G11 vs W223 and then say BMW needs step up. It is evident that tech-wise, the W223 should be further ahead but so will be the G70, and if not for the G70 then you are most invited to bombared cristism everywhere about BMW. You have every right to buy the S-Class W223 as your next car and I am not discouraging you. I hope that is clear and thus solved.

I expect the G70 will be up to the standards the S-Class W223 set and even better. The G11/G12 was meh in terms of looks when it came out (I still remember the leaked pictures of the blue car and the feeling I got that time), this I have to agree but it is something subjective, but tech-wise I doubt it was behind when compared to the W222.

Last edited by Shantosh Seewooruttun; 09-06-2020 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 05:40 PM   #18
nathanm4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I am not forcing, what would I gain in this? I dont work for BMW. I am only pointing out something important. I try stay on the neutral side; someone cannot just see G11 vs W223 and then say BMW needs step up. It is evident that tech-wise, the W223 should be further ahead but so will be the G70, and if not for the G70 then you are most invited to bombared cristism everywhere about BMW. You have every right to buy the S-Class W223 as your next car and I am not discouraging you. I hope that is clear and thus solved.

I expect the G70 will be up to the standards the S-Class W223 set and even better. The G11/G12 was meh in terms of looks when it came out (I still remember the leaked pictures of the blue car), this I have to agree but it is something subjective, but tech-wise I doubt when compared to the W222.
Keep trying. We all see right through you.
      09-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #19
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Keep trying. We all see right through you.
Nathanm4, oh yeah, who are the 'we' and what do you see? I saw something wrong in your post in my point of view and replied accordingly. If ever I misundertood your first post, then I apologise but I doubt is the case given your behavior afterwards. You reply in an offensive way, and I replied back politely to make you see my point. After a further reply, I thought maybe you had a bad experience with someone and why you replied to me in such an aggressive way. You say to me not to try control others to force my opinion on them else it will end bad for me bla bla and bla. What makes you think I am trying to control you or to force you to anything? Who is the one trying to force here after considering your replies? That is more you; you are trying to force people to not reply against anything you say even if you are at fault. Who is the abnormal person here? It is you who is behaving like an abnormal person, you seem generalise cases with your past bad experience with only you know who, and despite all my efforts to make you understand that I am not like the nor were my intentions, you still replying back like an ass, and on top you insinuate others think like you too, but it is only you the problem here and only you thinking like this. You don't see anything, you pretend things are like you say or doing it deliberately or you have some sort of problem that makes you behave like this. If you dont like my reply that was addresed straight to you, just say it, dont make drama and stories, and if you will think in such a way or be paranoid to such an extent that you will behave as if others are forcing you into things or only you know what just because this person replied to your post critically on your views, then do not post on social medias about your so called opinions and views, keep them for yourself instead of jumping from forum to forum posts for several models for posting replies like I take this, I like that without any proper justification or by making innappropriate comparisons.

TXSTYLE, sorry but I had to post this here because the matter happened here and this nathanm4 went too far.

Last edited by Shantosh Seewooruttun; 09-07-2020 at 05:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #20
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Behind in terms of what? Can you specify?
Overall just lacking for a flagship product. As a lover of both brands, between MB and BMW they each excel in different areas, with luxury being MB's forte, and sports/handling BMW's. The S-Class for the most part, has always been king of its class, give or take two odd generations (W220 being the worst of the bunch).

In the lineup the W222 S-Class has presence and style. It was clearly the best Benz you could buy and displayed opulence both inside and out. Of course design is subjective but the general consensus has favored the W222’s design for years with overall reception being more positive than the 7er. The 7er on the other hand while not ugly, was seen as quite boring and not standing out against much with its peers or fellow Bimmers, easily being confused for a 5-series, hence its heavy use of botox in the front end in its LCI which could be argued as over-correcting earlier design mistakes regarding its lack of presence and distinction. Even current BMW deisgner Dujec, as much as I hate the man, has mentioned that the design behind the 7er wasn't revolutionary enough. The S-Class just exudes elegance and luxury in a way the 7er doesn’t, easily looking like the more expensive car of the two.

Inside its the same story. The W222 S-Class featured a cabin unlike any other MB before and even after all of tech and certain aspects trickled down the lineup, it still had its own exclusive design, features, and switchgear/parts (like the steering wheel, switchgear and leather choices) which you would not confuse for any other car in the lineup. The use of beautiful leather, cross-stitching, aluminum and woods created a gorgeous interior that has stood the test of time even today looking quite modern and could even give Rolls and Bentley a run for their money when it premiered in 2013. Materials were also of course very good, with a mix of classic luxury and new technology through the use of diverse materials/trims, the use of curves and a large two screen display, a new ambient lighting system which has since inspired the entire industry and set trends, and featured the first implementation of Magic Body Control and a Camera-Based suspension system, reading the road ahead and adjusting the ride. The 7er on the other hand while nice in quality, looked way too similar to any 3 or 5-series in the lineup with very little differentiation using the same switchgear and parts. Like the exterior, the interior didn’t present a new philosophy in design, presenting a cabin similar to the previous F01 generation, and BMW's biggest feature they were pushing to the media was its carbon core which is somewhat ironic of a feature to present on a car that is 207-inches long, and a class who's customers which prioritize comfort over handling. Its been made evident, especially in the 8-series, that as of late BMW has been struggling at the higher price point to differentiate their products and create something that can look as luxurious as its price suggests.

In the class of large luxury sedans, some big selling points are style, presence, tech, luxury and providing an exclusive experience that feels special and opulent. Of this criteria, I just don’t see the 7er coming out on top, and sales have reflected that, as the S-Class outsells both its German competition combined. Like the 3-series is seen as the benchmark of the compact luxury sedan class, the S-Class is the benchmark of the Full-Size Luxury Flagship Class, with the W222 being a revolution for MB and the class, and the G11 which followed its release, being an evolution of the previous F01.

The 7er is a great car, and a very nice car to own, but its hard to deny the success of the W222.

As for the argument of basing judgement off of pre-existing cars and new ones that are of different ages in generation, no new cars follow the same life-cycle. Some brands change their cars every four, other wait up to six or even eight but even still new cars within a class will always release at different times. Because of this, there will always be comparisons between two generations of different cars that are of different ages. If one is in the market to buy on a specific day and time, they can't simply wait two years to compare a new generation coming out to another car as simple as that.

Last edited by stein_325i; 09-06-2020 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 2
matowi216.50
skullz6.00
      09-06-2020, 09:11 PM   #21
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Overall just lacking for a flagship product.

In the lineup the W222 S-Class has presence and style. It was clearly the best Benz you could buy and displayed opulence both inside and out. Of course design is subjective but the general consensus has favored the W222’s design for years with overall reception being more positive than the 7er. The 7er on the other hand while not ugly, was seen as quite boring and not standing out against much with its peers or fellow Bimmers, easily being confused for a 5-series, hence its heavy use of botox in the front end in its LCI which could be argued as over-correcting earlier design mistakes regarding its lack of presence and distinction. Even current BMW deisgner Dujec, as much as I hate the man, has mentioned that the design behind the 7er wasn't revolutionary enough. The S-Class just exudes elegance and luxury in a way the 7er doesn’t, easily looking like the more expensive car of the two.

Inside its the same story. The W222 S-Class featured a cabin unlike any other MB before and even after all of tech and certain aspects trickled down the lineup, it still had its own exclusive design, features, and switchgear/parts (like the steering wheel, switchgear and leather choices) which you would not confuse for any other car in the lineup. The use of beautiful leather, cross-stitching, aluminum and woods created a gorgeous interior that has stood the test of time even today looking quite modern and could even give Rolls and Bentley a run for their money when it premiered in 2013. Materials were also of course very good, with a mix of classic luxury and new technology through the use of diverse materials/trims, the use of curves and a large two screen display, a new ambient lighting system which has since inspired the entire industry and set trends, and featured the first implementation of Magic Body Control and a Camera-Based suspension system, reading the road ahead and adjusting the ride. The 7er on the other hand while nice in quality, looked way too similar to any 3 or 5-series in the lineup with very little differentiation using the same switchgear and parts. Like the exterior, the interior didn’t present a new philosophy in design, presenting a cabin similar to the previous F01 generation, and BMW's biggest feature they were pushing to the media was its carbon core which is somewhat ironic of a feature to present on a car that is 207-inches long, and a class who's customers which prioritize comfort over handling. Its been made evident, especially in the 8-series, that as of late BMW has been struggling at the higher price point to differentiate their products and create something that can look as luxurious as its price suggests.

In the class of large luxury sedans, some big selling points are style, presence, tech, luxury and providing an exclusive experience that feels special and opulent. Of this criteria, I just don’t see the 7er coming out on top, and sales have reflected that, as the S-Class outsells both its German competition combined. Like the 3-series is seen as the benchmark of the compact luxury sedan class, the S-Class is the benchmark of the Full-Size Luxury Flagship Class, with the W222 being a revolution for MB and the class, and the G11 which followed its release, being an evolution of the previous F01.

The 7er is a great car, and a very nice car to own, but its hard to deny the success of the W222.

As for the argument of basing judgement off of pre-existing cars and new ones that are of different ages in generation, no new cars follow the same life-cycle. Some brands change their cars every four, other wait up to six or even eight but even still new cars within a class will always release at different times. Because of this, there will always be comparisons between two generations of different cars that are of different ages. If one is in the market to buy on a specific day and time, they can't simply wait two years to compare a new generation coming out to another car as simple as that.
The S-Class and the 7 series provide different things in terms of looks, driving experience and many more. This has been like this since long, not only case of W222, G11.... Someone cannot just expect a 7 series to ressemble or have the same traits as that of an S-Class. If someone like the traits of an S, he goes with an S. Same applies for me, is either S or 7 but I dont expect BMW make a 7 like an S only for me to buy the 7 or expect MB to make an S like a 7 for me to buy the S. If I wanted the traits of an S (which suppose means presence and so on for some people), I buy an S. For another person, the traits of the G11/G12 might mean more presence, that is subjective. This is why there is Audi, BMW, Mercedes.... is for people have choice between what they think mostly suits them at that particular time they are in the market for a luxury car, and if none satisfies then have to wait or if want only buy newest possible tech car from one particular company only, then have to wait for latest generation car to come out.

The W222 is a masterpiece and hard to beat, even the W223 does not beat that in terms of looks. In my opinion, for the last generation for most of the models, MB really stepped up in terms of looks. They made their cars have a sportier or aggressive-look compared to the previous generations where many MB models were bland or like some call it, meant for the older people category. Even the looks of the wheels are better. I have to agree that BMW needs step-up in certain areas compared to what MB did for the last generation because they seem to have stalled or even worsen in certain areas.

Like I said myself, the initial G11/12 was meh when I first saw it in pictures (the blue car), but I got the same meh feeling when I saw the leaked pictures for the W223 (black car). The facelift made the G11/G12 look better and have more presence but some people do not like the big grill. Tech-wise, there is no big difference between the W222 and G11/G12, and in fact the G11/G12 is slightly ahead. Problem for some is probably mostly about looks but looks are subjective, and those that like the look of the S should go for the S or another option that provides the similar traits which are lots of curves here and there both exterior and interior. Could the G11 have been better at the initial release, yes, and I agree with that but that is upto BMW and on what they base themselves on, which region, what surveys and so on. I do not even like the direction they have been taking with some models since years.

That ressemblance thing between models is same for Mercedes Benz too and even now for the new S-Class is present (E-Class facelift, CLA... for the exterior) and the new (upcoming) C-Class has an interior based on the new S-Class, sort of takedown interior with the big screen in the middle.

Someone cannot expect a company to put a new model with the latest technology just after its rival company released one. Either he waits or he buys the current one on offer or he jumps onto the other ship which provides the newest or latest technology which for the case here is MB, whatever suits him or provided what he is looking for, after all, it is for him to decide. For me, someone that just come and say 'your flagship car needs to step up, I will take a flagship car from your rival in the place of what you currently provide because they are miles apart', as if the person is making reference and comparison to an older generation and a new generation from the rival as justification which is very innappropriate in reply to a post, the one that opened the topic, who said himself he likes the new S-Class but he will take the 7 series LCI, and on top the offender tells me that I am forcing people and that will end bad for me. He is the one forcing or trying to influence the OP and others with his comments, and later trying to force me to not reply critically to his post. I am only being neutral. Maybe I misunderstood him; maybe by his post he meant the next 7 series better be up to the marks with the W223, and if so, I already apologised, but his replies back to me are offensive and it is like he is paranoid, has some sort of mental problem or doing it deliberately.

If you go and see his posts elsewhere, you will see that he been jumping here and there throwing posts like I like this, I will take that as replies for discussions of different models and carbrands without any proper justification or explanation, and the way he behaves is as if he thinks all should follow him and what he likes and no one has the right to criticise his views or replies or point out what is wrong. You speak about people in the market right now looking to buy a car, do you see such people posting replies in forums like he did, like I take the S8 (M760Li vs S63 vs S8) on one post, on another I take the W223 S-Class because the 7-series currently being offered is miles behind, and worst he is even in other car categories like the Xs which is far from the 7-series category. What is even his purpose here on this forum? And I only replied to him on the post here after I saw the innappropriate comparision he made here without any offence meant at all. Considering all this and also what happened here, it is likely thag he just doing it deliberately.

Bottom line, it is likely that most of us want the new 7 to be less dissapointing than for the case when the G11 came out. I think BMW already preparing for the new 7 and I am sure they took note of the new S, so all I can say for those that want to stick to BMW or expect more of BMW is to wait for the upcoming model, else go for the other brand if that suits for the time being. Someone does not have to stick with BMW especially if he feels there are better options out there at that same time. And lastly, like -> buy, don't like -> do not buy, this is the best way to make a company know about what is wrong especially with the astrocious grills that many been complaining on certain BMW models.

Last edited by Shantosh Seewooruttun; 09-07-2020 at 12:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2020, 10:50 AM   #22
Epiplatys
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M760Li 2018

Well, you can see that very few people cared to respond to this thread. Most likely for a simple reason: nothing wrong if you like or prefer the S-class. It does look silly if you start going around creating hype about it. Just buy it, share your first hand experience, we will listen. Especially so if you own both a 7 series and an S-class, and can meaningfully articulate your thoughts. Going around saying how great XYZ is .... is not really interesting to anyone I suspect.
AlteBMW724.50
kaiprt0.00