BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

02-18-2023, 04:38 PM   #67
Socalsteve
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 750i X

I have a 2020 750i XI that has the original run flat 19’s on it ( about 11k miles ) super smooth and super quiet. I have no complaints. I am coming from a 2015 S 550. They are equally as smooth and quiet.

The 750 has the Autobahn Package and the S 550 had the Magic Body Control package.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 02:05 PM   #68
billy.gif
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Here's 740Le xDrive with OEM square setup (4 x 245 / 45 / 19"). At least they're really quiet, not much road nor tire noise. Tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4's, simply because I like Michelin tires in every car I have. The tires make huge different between noise and handling.

I could not care less about "sportiness" of a luxury barge, thus optioning for OEM setup. I have other cars to take on those "Canyon roads". This is just my DD to get me from A to B, as comfy as possible. I can't even recall when did I do a full acceleration with it, early last summer? Not my cup of tea try to drive aggressively in canyons or such with 4850lbs heavy, full size sedan

Mine has done already 124k km (77k miles) and has zero rattles or issues or such. Nothing to complain. The car has every imaginable options ticked, meaning extra sound insulated, laminated glass windows for example.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 06:49 PM   #69
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

I've had an interesting observation/experience on tire noise. I've had 2 different sets already - OEM Pirelli RFTs and now on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4 (Non-RFT).

Average noise registers <60 dB, cruising at 40mph on concrete road on either tire. However, since I have staggered tires (RWD), the rears worn out quicker and there's an overlap where I was running OEM Pirelli's on front and PS A/S 4 at the rears. During those days, the tire combo was louder (>70dB) on the same road cruising at the same speed. Then it went back down to <60 dB when I've finally replaced the pirelli's in front. Not exactly sure what happened there. Maybe there some kind of active noise cancelling that drowns out specific tire noise frequency. But since these tires produce different noise profile, maybe the anc system is unable to filter them both ? Just a wild guess. It's not an issue enough for me to do something more than posting about it lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 10:53 AM   #70
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlivingston View Post
Can I trouble you for the year of the one you hate? Thanks, Tanya

I do prefer the LCI overall.

I also prefer mine now with the normal tyres on it.

Truth is - looking at what's around the only car that does impress me on the quality ride and quietness is the iX - The iX ages the X5 massively - which again is a shame.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 05:23 AM   #71
540xi Lci
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540xi Lci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormbitch View Post
I think "hate" is a strong word but this issue is driving me nuts.

Its my second G11 - I had a 730d and now this is a 740xd and I am still really luke warm over it.

I am chasing creaks almost weekly coming from the trim, head rest, and seatbelt housing. The air suspension seems unusual if not a bit clumsy, the anti roll technology rarely keeps the car flat in sport mode and the steering feels neither luxurious nor connected.

Whilst BMW are world best at looking after customers, there is nothing more irritating and soul exploding than a new noise from the cabin of your 80k flagship. One is supposed to be grinning and feeling fortunate, not rolling ones eyes and booking it back into the dealer.

Then there is the road noise, the old 7 series simply did not have hardly any compared to this, at 70mph I can still hear the road noise over some quite loud music, this spoils the adventure and ruins the feeling of "I can go anywhere in this luxury car".

Overall theres an undelying sense that this is not a very well made item and that its perching precariously on the platform of its technology, it feels that whatever digital is happening with the chassis is making it less car and more experimental, experiment!

The Lazer Lights which were a huge option cost, are passable but not even as bright as some of the modern LED lights today and certainly don't dance around as much as they used to. And as for being bright half a mile up the road! Er No.

I find myself only keeping the car based on the fact that it looks good, has a Harmon Kardon sound system and an amazing head up display! Or because I tend to find fault and surely I this car cannot be bad, it must be me.

For something as weilding as this that you literally cannot park hardly anywhere, one should be cuccooned in silence feeling both luxury and sporting but sadly I feel does neither. You can neither saunter along like a lord on the motorway, or leave wide roundabouts in a gust of sporty torque late at night. It just isn't either.

The out going 7 series was and still has a sense of occassion, from its large seat and chunky steering wheel and raised driving position to its quiet, solid and planted road character - in fact in retrospect I should have bought one of those and paid the London congestion charge fee if I ever took it into London!

Despite its beautiful graphics display and world class navigation, sumptous nappa leather and swathes of alluminium and treated wood I still think an Audi or Mercedes is better to sit in.

It seems I have been fooled like a Magpie twice and influenced by my fandom of BMW of old and their amazing after sales.

And so the discussion begins with myself, as I go quietly more demented, what on earth do I buy now!
Was looking for this masterpiece of yours since i read it before i bought my 740xd and everything is true except creaking… maybe because mine was european? The car was almost rock solid, much better than S class, also mine had extended leather option etc.

Anyway, sold the 7, now own 540xi for a year almost.
The 7 is a much serious car compared to this toy…
So Since we agree on almost everything… came here to ask you
Want to know what car you have or what you plan on buying?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2023, 11:31 AM   #72
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Thanks brother. I am not that eloquent now...

I should start an honest car review blog.. Might do some traffic - compared to the paid lies and nonsense one finds on the internet.

Interestingly after 60k odd miles the seat in the 740 has given up the ghost and has no support left in it. The seat and the back part are noticeably weaker - leading to immense back paid - I have a condition now but even so.

So like my grandad I am rolling around with a seat cushion on the seat and another on the seat back.

BTW FORGET BUYING A SEAT CUSHION FOR A CAR SEAT ALL OF THEM ARE RUBBISH.

Well I was considering the M550i - but - there was something just not quite right for me - the 530d new shape is worth a look but again prices.

So low and behold I am looking at the F15 X5. The G05 are not worth the money and are noisy on the road and rarely come with driving assistant - which is a crime considering cars half their price all have it now as standard.

What is wrong with your 540 I assume its the latest one right? Why is it a toy..

I am in the meantime looking to find a way of quietening the X5 as a mod - and enjoying the high ride for a while, knowing people will queue up to buy it when I am done.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 01:14 PM   #73
The7th
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw 740xd M Performance

Quote:

I should start an honest car review blog.. Might do some traffic - compared to the paid lies and nonsense one finds on the internet.

Interestingly after 60k odd miles the seat in the 740 has given up the ghost and has no support left in it. The seat and the back part are noticeably weaker - leading to immense back paid - I have a condition now but even so.

So like my grandad I am rolling around with a seat cushion on the seat and another on the seat back.

Well I was considering the M550i - but - there was something just not quite right for me - the 530d new shape is worth a look but again prices.

So low and behold I am looking at the F15 X5. The G05 are not worth the money and are noisy on the road and rarely come with driving assistant - which is a crime considering cars half their price all have it now as standard.

What is wrong with your 540 I assume its the latest one right? Why is it a toy..

I am in the meantime looking to find a way of quietening the X5 as a mod - and enjoying the high ride for a while, knowing people will queue up to buy it when I am done.

Didn't like the X5M50d. X6M50d is a great car and faaaaar better than G05. G06 40i is again a good car.

You cannot compare 740xd with A8! A8 is a big a4 FACT!. The S8 could be a contender but we;re talking 760 or S63.

I Love my new 740xd LCI. 1st one was good too nothing to complain.
Had few S classes and Gle/MLs 63s but next is Bentley.

All in all best £15k I'd ever spent is for an F20Lci 118d and it's so good!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2023, 05:43 PM   #74
540xi Lci
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540xi Lci

Quote:

Im fast at replying🙈…
Its a toy because i got used to g12 air suspension and everything.. g30 compared to 7 is like, i dont know.. everything is much thiner, more poor… very very noisy after 80 km/h. You just go with it through a automatic car wash, the noise is like you are in a peugeot 208.
The car is great,drives great but not good for what it is made. You dont get a wish to go on a trip for example, and mine is 90% equipped.
I sold it… bought 840iX and waiting for it from Germany..we will see
Appreciate 0