BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #23
zx10guy
Colonel
1980
Rep
2,198
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

I would argue a sub is required for anything audio whether it be movies or music. Most speakers don't have the bass driver/design to properly reproduce deep low frequency audio. In addition, you get benefits from introducing a sub with the rest of the audio range. People can view the use of a sub integrated into the mains where the mains are crossed over with a high pass filter typically around 80Hz as at a minimum bi-amping their system. Because the amp driving the main speakers doesn't have to spend energy driving the deep low frequencies, the amp isn't taxed as much and can more efficiently drive the upper frequencies without distortion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
We might not be in an agreement on Trump, but I'll be the first penis chaser here to say I'll rather take it up in the ass than to argue with you on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 04:28 PM   #24
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1452
Rep
2,290
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

I went the lazy route and got a 75Ē NU8000 and a HW-N950. Very happy with my route and didnít have to do much to set it all up.
Appreciate 1
dsad1661.50

      01-25-2019, 04:41 PM   #25
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
662
Rep
1,715
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I went the lazy route and got a 75Ē NU8000 and a HW-N950. Very happy with my route and didnít have to do much to set it all up.
This is the difference between an average Joe and the avs forum members. I am with you, I really can't tell much of a difference between a certain quality of sound and video. But when I am reading avs forum I sometimes feel like I might be legally blind and deaf. I would probably be happy with stuff that is half the price as long as I don't read the comments about them on avs forum.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace3662.50

      01-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #26
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1452
Rep
2,290
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
This is the difference between an average Joe and the avs forum members. I am with you, I really can't tell much of a difference between a certain quality of sound and video. But when I am reading avs forum I sometimes feel like I might be legally blind and deaf. I would probably be happy with stuff that is half the price as long as I don't read the comments about them on avs forum.
The mid range stuff isnít exactly cheap. The TV cost $1800 and the sound bar was $1200 and I had to really shop around to get the price down. So for $3k I got a tidy arrangement with UHD HDR and Atmos.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #27
zx10guy
Colonel
1980
Rep
2,198
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
This is the difference between an average Joe and the avs forum members. I am with you, I really can't tell much of a difference between a certain quality of sound and video. But when I am reading avs forum I sometimes feel like I might be legally blind and deaf. I would probably be happy with stuff that is half the price as long as I don't read the comments about them on avs forum.
This is the rule of them I follow with matters such as this. Doesn't matter what others think. If what you have satisfies you, who gives an F' about what others think. Whether this be the favorite whipping boy called Bose or some other brand. I have specific criteria which others may find too picky or too loose.

The ones I did hold to task are those that clearly buy a name brand and spend a ton of money to just show off how much money they can spend. I laugh when I see a $20,000/pair speaker shoved into some entertainment center or some corner of a room not set up properly. I got into some debates where I said, you would get better performance than that $20k speaker set up that way if you bought speakers at a 1/4 of the price set up properly in the same room.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
We might not be in an agreement on Trump, but I'll be the first penis chaser here to say I'll rather take it up in the ass than to argue with you on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #28
dsad1
Lieutenant Colonel
662
Rep
1,715
Posts

Drives: car
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
The mid range stuff isnít exactly cheap. The TV cost $1800 and the sound bar was $1200 and I had to really shop around to get the price down. So for $3k I got a tidy arrangement with UHD HDR and Atmos.
Sorry, didn't mean for it to come off as a cheap set up, that wasn't my intention, it wasn't a well worded post. My point was that there is a pretty big difference between what a typical person would be happy with and the avid avs forum member would be happy with. If you are just reading comments there and not able to actually test things out it, you usually end up with more equipment than necessary.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #29
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1452
Rep
2,290
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
Sorry, didn't mean for it to come off as a cheap set up, that wasn't my intention, it wasn't a well worded post. My point was that there is a pretty big difference between what a typical person would be happy with and the avid avs forum member would be happy with. If you are just reading comments there and not able to actually test things out it, you usually end up with more equipment than necessary.
I didnít take anything negatively at all. Just sharing what I have and my satisfaction with it. So much so, I did the same thing in my weekend house.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 08:30 PM   #30
Emilime75
Major
487
Rep
1,250
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: X

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Hey, so I've finally decided to invest into a semi-serious home theater room.

I have 500 sq ft of space and I have so far sourced or about to source:

Audio:
1x Klipsch 5502-w-ii center in-wall
4x Klipsch 3650-w-ii front front and rear in-wall
2x Klipsch 1800-c ceiling
Sony 1080 AVR

Video:
EPSON 1060 projector
Elite Screen 100 inch 1.1 gain motorized screen with recessed mount


Any thoughts?
I'd avoid retractable screens unless it's a tensioned model. A fixed screen is a much better option, if your room allows for it. Generally speaking, Elite is good for the price and you'd have to spend considerably more to get better. Silver Ticket is another option you should look into.

I'd also try to find a way to expand my budget on the projector. Check out what Epson has on clearance/refurb, a lot of times you can find fantastic deals and they come with the same 2 year warranty as new. I bought my 5020UB there for $900 a year and a half ago. I use it almost daily, no issues and image is fantastic.

I won't comment too much on the speakers as I haven't heard any of them, but from past experience with Klipsch, I wouldn't consider them if it was my build. Sub/s are also a major necessity for HT. For music...depends on you and what you listen to, but with a frequency response that starts at -3db at 60Hz, I think you'll find yourself wanting a sub.

Your thoughts on using the Sony AVR for now is fine. The biggest "upgrades" come from projectors and speakers.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace3662.50

      01-26-2019, 01:11 AM   #31
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3663
Rep
10,280
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
I'd avoid retractable screens unless it's a tensioned model. A fixed screen is a much better option, if your room allows for it. Generally speaking, Elite is good for the price and you'd have to spend considerably more to get better. Silver Ticket is another option you should look into.

I'd also try to find a way to expand my budget on the projector. Check out what Epson has on clearance/refurb, a lot of times you can find fantastic deals and they come with the same 2 year warranty as new. I bought my 5020UB there for $900 a year and a half ago. I use it almost daily, no issues and image is fantastic.

I won't comment too much on the speakers as I haven't heard any of them, but from past experience with Klipsch, I wouldn't consider them if it was my build. Sub/s are also a major necessity for HT. For music...depends on you and what you listen to, but with a frequency response that starts at -3db at 60Hz, I think you'll find yourself wanting a sub.

Your thoughts on using the Sony AVR for now is fine. The biggest "upgrades" come from projectors and speakers.
Thanks for the suggestion on the Projector, but the Epson UB is just not what will work for my room. They range around 2500 lumens, and I'll have a room with quite a bit of ambient light. Further, I don't have any 4k content to watch.

I did a lot of research on projectors, and I learned there's no such thing as a perfect projector. What works for one person's room would be terrible or overkill for another. The 1060 is the best bang for the buck and replacement lamps are a measly $25.
__________________
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Urban Assault Vehicle
14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, e-wheel, vorsteiner spoiler
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 01:16 AM   #32
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Flying Ace's Avatar
United_States
3663
Rep
10,280
Posts

Drives: M6GC ZCP, X5d
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF, CA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
there's better options out there than Klipsch as they are very bright! I'm very active on the AVSforums I would look there for options and opinions. No subs? that's one of the biggest components in a Home Theater setup. also, the 2x for the ceiling I would look into doing .4 if you're looking for a complete Atmos experience.
I do have a sub. My father in law is giving it to me. It's actually an in-wall, but I cannot recall the model and brand right now.

I'm starting to think if I should just go straight to the 4 speaker Atmos at this point. The ceiling ones are the cheapest to buy anyways. I'll think about it.
__________________
12 AW/Cinnamon X5 Diesel Urban Assault Vehicle
14 AW M6GC ZCP, MPE, e-wheel, vorsteiner spoiler
08 SSII E90 M3 (Sold!)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 08:51 AM   #33
Emilime75
Major
487
Rep
1,250
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: X

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Thanks for the suggestion on the Projector, but the Epson UB is just not what will work for my room. They range around 2500 lumens, and I'll have a room with quite a bit of ambient light. Further, I don't have any 4k content to watch.

I did a lot of research on projectors, and I learned there's no such thing as a perfect projector. What works for one person's room would be terrible or overkill for another. The 1060 is the best bang for the buck and replacement lamps are a measly $25.
I was giving an example of the savings, not suggesting any particular model.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #34
TurboSid
Colonel
TurboSid's Avatar
417
Rep
2,963
Posts

Drives: 2017 M4 MW/SO ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
I'm not an audiphile in any way shape or form. What do you guys think of using a soundbar + subwoofer combo for home theater?
__________________


2017 MW/SO M4 ZCP [CURRENT]
2015 MW/SO M4 M-DCT FBO [SOLD] ē 2011 AW/CR 335is DCT FBO [SOLD] ē 2008 AW/CR 335i 6MT FBO [SOLD]
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #35
Emilime75
Major
487
Rep
1,250
Posts

Drives: 2010 335i
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: X

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
I'm not an audiphile in any way shape or form. What do you guys think of using a soundbar + subwoofer combo for home theater?
That's not a home theater. That's a TV with better than TV sound.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace3662.50

      02-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #36
OkieSnuffBox
First Lieutenant
178
Rep
317
Posts

Drives: '13 135i
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: OKC, OK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
This is the difference between an average Joe and the avs forum members. I am with you, I really can't tell much of a difference between a certain quality of sound and video. But when I am reading avs forum I sometimes feel like I might be legally blind and deaf. I would probably be happy with stuff that is half the price as long as I don't read the comments about them on avs forum.
I wouldn't worry about it. These are the same guys that pontificate on $15/ft hermetically sealed, oxygen free speaker wire.............then can't tell the difference between it and a used coat hanger.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #37
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
1452
Rep
2,290
Posts

Drives: Porsche Macan Turbo
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: DC area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSid View Post
I'm not an audiphile in any way shape or form. What do you guys think of using a soundbar + subwoofer combo for home theater?
Thatís essentially what I got. Check out Samsung HW-N950.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2019, 12:34 AM   #38
adolfneedham
New Member
United Kingdom
2
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: -
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Maidstone, kent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
One of the reasons it's going to be very hard for me to sell my house. The room I built out was a long time in planning and building. Dedicated power feeds with balanced power transformers. Acoustical treatments.

I wanted to stretch and get a set of N802s. But couldn't swing it. I think I have a balanced system with the N804s and HTM1. Helps to have two Velodyne subs (HGS15II and DD18).

And beefy amps....Got a Bryston 6B-ST driving the front 3 channels (bench tested at 300W RMS all channels driven) and a Emotiva XPA-2 (225W per channel RMS) driving the two rears.
I can understand
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.




7post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST