BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

10-22-2023, 09:22 AM   #1
phillyreem
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 3.5SAV

Seat headrest speaker possessed.

Hey everyone. I have a ‘23 760i that I’m completely in love with. Pick it up in May and already have 6000 miles on it. About a month ago my driver’s side headrest speaker became possessed making the most annoying noise with no consistency. It happens when the car is on or off and not related to the stereo being on. Usually goes away after 2-5 minutes of driving. Dealership ordered the part, but they honestly don’t know what it is and it’s been a month. I’m still driving the car.

Want to see if anyone else has experienced this or any known bulletins? The challenge with a new model is no one knows anything and parts are non-existent.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 01:15 AM   #2
rollingtaser
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i7 M70, SL63

weird. no, nothing with the sound system here...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 10:54 AM   #3
seans
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i7

It’s difficult to know what exactly you’re hearing as your description is funny but doesn’t describe the sound itself.

My left speaker embedded within the head rest makes a “tinny” noise at times, almost as if a piece of foil is wrapped around the speaker when the music is playing. When the sound system is off, I’ve heard a loud “pop” coming from both on a few occasions.

It’s difficult to reproduce and I asked service about it who weren’t able to reproduce the issue.

This happens to me maybe once or twice a month. Not able to correlate it with other variables yet but can confirm something bizarre is happening to my speaker too, though it doesn’t appear to be what you’re experiencing
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 12:58 PM   #4
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyreem View Post
Hey everyone. I have a ‘23 760i that I’m completely in love with. Pick it up in May and already have 6000 miles on it. About a month ago my driver’s side headrest speaker became possessed making the most annoying noise with no consistency. It happens when the car is on or off and not related to the stereo being on. Usually goes away after 2-5 minutes of driving. Dealership ordered the part, but they honestly don’t know what it is and it’s been a month. I’m still driving the car.

Want to see if anyone else has experienced this or any known bulletins? The challenge with a new model is no one knows anything and parts are non-existent.
Maybe if you haven't done it, try resetting idrive by holding down the volume button for 70 seconds. Then if that clears the issue, and it retirns, tell your SA about it and they will almost surely update to 8.5. I had staticy noise from time to time with nav spoken directions and sometimes playing music from USB. It was software and 8.5 did the trick.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 01:25 PM   #5
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:

I sometimes hear a little tinny, buzzing for a brief period when starting off in my IXM60. It only occurs randomly, for a very brief period, and it seems to only happen if I am listening to XM radio...

Is this the kind of sound you are hearing?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 10:16 PM   #6
DroMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 i7 eDrive50 (Inaugural Yr)

Possessed? Hmm, could be. My money is your vehicle is some type of "The Exorcist: Believer" movie tie-in. Now wouldn't THAT be quite the uh, head-turner?!

BWA-ha-ha.....!!! But seriously, I hope you get to the root of the problem, preferably without needing any Holy water.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 11:28 AM   #7
TeknDr
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW i7, BMW iX50

Quote:

After upgrading my i7 software to iDrive 8.5 (07/2023.53) I have started to sometimes get random low crackling noise from the driver headrest speaker. Dont know yet if the other headrest speakers also make this low disturbing sound. Has been while driving and when turning the car on. Lasts about 30sec.
What software was your i7 with headrest noise and has the problem been resolved?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 12:29 PM   #8
phillyreem
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeknDr View Post
After upgrading my i7 software to iDrive 8.5 (07/2023.53) I have started to sometimes get random low crackling noise from the driver headrest speaker. Dont know yet if the other headrest speakers also make this low disturbing sound. Has been while driving and when turning the car on. Lasts about 30sec.
What software was your i7 with headrest noise and has the problem been resolved?
Yes, this is it. I wish I could post the video of what it sounded like before the upgrade. Currently waiting for a new speaker from Germany. Very frustrating.
Appreciate 1
TeknDr18.00
      11-15-2023, 03:02 PM   #9
TeknDr
Sweden
Rep

Thanks, keep us posted if you get the problem solved.
I guess your 760i is on Software 7/2023 as well. Hoped the new 11/2023 software would solve this bug, but if you are waiting for a new speaker it’s hardware. Do they seem confident it’s a Hardware problem?

Last edited by TeknDr; 11-15-2023 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 07:22 PM   #10
phillyreem
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeknDr View Post
Thanks, keep us posted if you get the problem solved.
I guess your 760i is on Software 7/2023 as well. Hoped the new 11/2023 software would solve this bug, but if you are waiting for a new speaker it’s hardware. Do they seem confident it’s a Hardware problem?
I don’t think they know. We are two months in without a part yet. Definitely still there after the software issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2023, 08:55 AM   #11
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Just out of curiosity, what audio source are you listening to when you hear this?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2024, 01:17 AM   #12
Laguna Beach
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i7 M60 Sport Pro

This is starting to happen to me too. On Sirius fm at stat up or when volume is way down I hear a cracking noise in headrest. I’ll give it a while til it really bugs me or til something else goes to kill 2 birds with one stone.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2024, 01:59 PM   #13
TeknDr
Sweden
Rep

Headrest speaker problem: Solved by software upgrade

After upgrading software to 11/2023 the problem seems to be gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 09:34 PM   #14
Ice4life
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 740xi

I believe there are 4 speakers in each headrest. Could just be a blown speaker if it's making that kind of noise.

But since you say it is unrelated to the stereo being on, it makes me think it could be tied to the amplifier or some kind of digital signal processing issue. It does have multiple sound channels and a crazy 1,965 watt amplifier
Appreciate 0