BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

08-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

A/C issues

Is anyone else's a/c struggling in this heat? At times it will blow warm air then back to cold then do it all over. And the radiator fan is constantly running as well.

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr760 View Post
Is anyone else's a/c struggling in this heat? At times it will blow warm air then back to cold then do it all over. And the radiator fan is constantly running as well.
Did you move that led indicator right below the vents to the leftmost (blue) side? When I took delivery of my car, it was set in the middle and I was wondering why the car didn't seem to cool down enough in hot weather.
      08-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #3
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettie1767 View Post
Quote:
Did you move that led indicator right below the vents to the leftmost (blue) side? When I took delivery of my car, it was set in the middle and I was wondering why the car didn't seem to cool down enough in hot weather.
I always keep it on the blue setting.

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Sorry to hear that bmr760, we don't get the same level of heat (even during our heat wave over here in the UK) that you will but a few points maybe worth checking?

-you have tried just setting it to max a/c and that doesn't work or is too cold?

-you do have the synch button set so that all 4 zones are at the same settings? (at least to try and check this out and then people can adjust some difference to what you want as the driver) Just to make sure that the system isn't fighting between the two zones besides each other?

-do you have anything set in the cup holders? Might be that the sensor is getting air blown back in causing a feedback loop that makes it change hot / cold.

-how old is the car? If it is a 2015, you may wish to get the A/C recharged and that may help.

-Are you finding this also when all windows and sunroof are closed or with them open?

Hope these points help, no obvious issue but maybe that will let you check it at least before going to a dealer.

As to the fan, I find that goes on full whack at the strangest times anyway so yes, that can be on quite high and for a long time without really being related to the cooling of the A/C. I believe it is simply a matter of ambient temperature and trying to keep the engine at an optimal temperature by opening / closing the front grill vents and turning the fan on...if it is truly hot, then both will be going to try and keep it cooler.

Safe travels.
      08-11-2018, 05:17 AM   #5
tyzer
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: 730d M-Sport Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Sorry to hear that bmr760, we don't get the same level of heat (even during our heat wave over here in the UK) that you will but a few points maybe worth checking?

-you have tried just setting it to max a/c and that doesn't work or is too cold?

-you do have the synch button set so that all 4 zones are at the same settings? (at least to try and check this out and then people can adjust some difference to what you want as the driver) Just to make sure that the system isn't fighting between the two zones besides each other?

-do you have anything set in the cup holders? Might be that the sensor is getting air blown back in causing a feedback loop that makes it change hot / cold.

-how old is the car? If it is a 2015, you may wish to get the A/C recharged and that may help.

-Are you finding this also when all windows and sunroof are closed or with them open?

Hope these points help, no obvious issue but maybe that will let you check it at least before going to a dealer.

As to the fan, I find that goes on full whack at the strangest times anyway so yes, that can be on quite high and for a long time without really being related to the cooling of the A/C. I believe it is simply a matter of ambient temperature and trying to keep the engine at an optimal temperature by opening / closing the front grill vents and turning the fan on...if it is truly hot, then both will be going to try and keep it cooler.

Safe travels.
Hats off to you Pelo, great feedback and thanks for always trying to help people here on the forum.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
vivalaReagan
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
bmr, i had a similar experience a couple of months ago. after a successful a/c system recharge, the unit quickly reverted back to struggling to cool the car. fortunately, the shop foreman took an interest in the problem and, after quite a bit of earnest searching, discovered a small, slow leak in an a/c line that feeds the compressor. when a new feed line didn't correct the problem, it was determined that the connection point on the compressor itself suffered from a metallurgy defect from the manufacturer and the entire compressor had to be replaced. once replaced, the system has performed flawlessly.

it was a night-and-day difference, so if you don't think your system is adequately cooling your vehicle, it probably isn't and needs to be examined by a pro. fyi, my 750 is a 2017my, and i wonder if other cars manufactured at the same time received defective compressors. it's worth a question to your dealer's shop foreman.

all the best.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
LOL_AMG
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 7 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalaReagan View Post
Quote:
bmr, i had a similar experience a couple of months ago. after a successful a/c system recharge, the unit quickly reverted back to struggling to cool the car. fortunately, the shop foreman took an interest in the problem and, after quite a bit of earnest searching, discovered a small, slow leak in an a/c line that feeds the compressor. when a new feed line didn't correct the problem, it was determined that the connection point on the compressor itself suffered from a metallurgy defect from the manufacturer and the entire compressor had to be replaced. once replaced, the system has performed flawlessly.

it was a night-and-day difference, so if you don't think your system is adequately cooling your vehicle, it probably isn't and needs to be examined by a pro. fyi, my 750 is a 2017my, and i wonder if other cars manufactured at the same time received defective compressors. it's worth a question to your dealer's shop foreman.

all the best.
Currently having this issue in my 2018. It's been in the shop 3 times this week and just dropped it back off yesterday. They replaced the radiator, intake manifold and some other parts but it's still having issues. I live in Scottsdale so temps are close to 110 regularly. My 2016 7 series didn't have this issue.
Appreciate 0