BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #23
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

BMW 7 Series Facelift Rides Low At The Nurburgring

Quote:
The flagship sedan from Bavarian doesn't quite fit the race track.
It’s only natural that nearly all manufacturers from the automotive industry are testing their upcoming products at the famous Nurburgring in Germany these days. However, we were quite surprised to see a large super luxurious premium sedan put to its limits at the track, but this is exactly what happened when we received these spy photos of the facelifted BMW 7 Series.

To say the flagship sedan from Bavaria is not fast will be a clear understatement, but speed and cornering are not the main factors for buying such a vehicle. Anyway, the company is apparently fine tuning the suspension and steering system of the 7 Series, which will reportedly receive a refresh in several months from now. The facelift will also bring a number of small visual improvements.

BMW is doing a good jog hiding the elements it’s working on, but previous spy photos have already revealed the model will get a slightly larger grille with more prominent surrounds and a revised lower fascia. Some tweaks are also possible for the headlights design, while at the back the LED taillights will feature updated graphics.

Things are less dramatic inside the cabin, where the 7 Series will get some minor updates to trim and materials. Probably the most important improvement for the interior will be the fully digital instrument cluster, which will replace the current layout with physical needles and a screen behind them.

Not much is known about the engine lineup of the 7 Series, but we don’t expect to see big changes under the hood. Still, basically all of the engines, including the problematic V12 of the M760i, will have to be retuned to comply with the new and stricter Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP) regulations.

Production of the refreshed flagship limo from Bavaria will start next spring and the model will be revealed before the end of 2018.
https://www.motor1.com/news/242113/b...acelift-spied/

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:13 PM   #24
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

So they are keeping the hockey stick, I guess.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #25
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Refreshed BMW 7 Series Spied Cruising, Shows Off Bigger Grille

https://www.motor1.com/news/250430/b...refresh-spied/

Quote:
The sedan's updates make it look more like the upcoming X7.
New spy shots reveal the latest development of the refreshed BMW 7 Series – or Life Cycle Impulse as BMW prefers to call to these facelifts. The changes mean a fresh nose and tweaked rump for the big sedan.

By far the biggest overhaul is at the front, where the 7 Series gains a larger grille and narrow headlights that evoke the upcoming X7 SUV. Larger intakes in the lower fascia give the executive transporter a more aggressive appearance, too. The tail gains a slightly different look for the hockey-stick-shaped LED taillights.

While these photos don't reveal the cabin, earlier pictures provide a great view of the interior. Drivers get a redesigned digital instrument cluster, and there are minor updates to the trim and materials. There's also likely improved driver assistance technology for more advanced semi-autonomous capability.

Updated powertrain details aren't yet known, but there are definitely changes on the way. Europe's new Worldwide Harmonized Light Vehicle Test Procedure means that BMW's engineers need to tweak the 7 Series' gas-fueled engines to make them comply with the new regulations – a process that could take about a year. Among the development team's tasks, the powertrain requires revising the exhaust to fit an Otto Particulate Filter. How these adjustments might affect the powerplants' output isn't yet known, but a rumor suggests horsepower could actually increase for some of the mills.

BMW will reportedly unveil the updated 7 Series before the end of the year. Production will begin in March 2019, so wealthy buyers in Europe will likely be able to get the new sedan early next spring. Sales in North America reportedly commence for the 2020 model year, suggesting a start of sales in the latter half of 2019.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #26
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Pretty quick refresh. That's basically an admission of fault as the car was very disappointing design-wise since it was unveiled.

Not sure how much they'll be able to change though, especially inside.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2018, 03:19 PM   #27
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

It’s the normal time for an LCI. Looks like the grille,will be bigger, definately not a good thing, I’m glad I got mine rather than wait. It will get the new instruments as per the 8 series, not sure what else they will do to the interior.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 12:06 AM   #28
supra93
Colonel
Rep

2019 BMW 7 Series: new pictures of high-tech saloon shows X7 influence

Quote:
Latest sighting of facelifted luxury four-door shows that it’ll get taller kidney grilles

The facelifted BMW 7 Series will gain a larger pair of kidney grilles, taking influence from its upcoming SUV sibling, the X7, in order to closely align the two top models of the brand's range.

Due in 2019, the updated luxury saloon's new nostrils will be accompanied by sharper exterior styling that includes slimmer headlights and tail-lights.

This more modern look will mirror changes to be introduced beneath the skin, the most significant of which will come via the introduction of a more potent plug-in hybrid variant.

The flagship range’s current electrified model, the 740e iPerformance, will give way to a 745e iPerformance with a hybrid electric powertrain offering more punch and increased range.

Output for the 740e peaks at 322bhp and 369lb ft of torque, but the use of a more advanced motor powered by batteries of a higher energy density is expected to provide more power to the turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol engine, edging combined output towards 400bhp.

The new electrified technology will also provide the 745e with a greater electric-only range. The 740e is good for 29 miles, so it’s likely that the new hybrid will push that into the low 30s.

Alongside the enhanced plug-in variant, the rest of the 7 Series range will also receive improvements. Expect more power and improved fuel economy for the engines, which include six-cylinder petrols and a four-cylinder diesel, as well the V8 750i and V12 M760Li xDrive.

The X7, a future rival to the Range Rover, will rub shoulders with the 7 Series at the top of BMW’s range. The design link is likely a tactic to create familiarity between the two flagship models.

Both cars are pitched directly at high-flying luxury car buyers, of which a large portion comes from China. Buyers there typically prefer more aggressive car design, so this new look is possibly also evidence of a design shift to cater to tastes in the world’s biggest new car market.

Aside from the altered front end, the rest of the spotted test car appears to feature more discreet alterations, including a new front bumper design and slimmer lights at the back.

Inside, the existing cabin architecture will be updated with BMW’s latest infotainment technology. Major changes are not expected, although a digital instrument cluster is likely and should significantly enhance user experience, while also helping the 7 Series keep up with tech offered by rivals such as Audi.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...s-x7-influence

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 02:39 AM   #29
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Will there still be a V12 version for the LCI facelift?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #30
Arturo_spain
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: M760Li MY2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Will there still be a V12 version for the LCI facelift?
Above pics are all from a V12 version

-M760Li MY2018
-RR Sport 4.4 SDV8 MY2016
-Mini Cooper Cabrio MY2018
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2018, 07:53 PM   #31
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo_spain View Post
Above pics are all from a V12 version
Oh I see.

There were some rumors and speculation that the V12 version *might* not make it due to:
-Euro 6 Phase D emission regulations
-World Harmonized Light Vehicles Test Procedure and Test Cycle (a.k.a. stricter fuel consumption testing)

I know that eventually fossil fuel cars will be eliminated within the next few decades...........though I hope that we can continue to keep the 12 cylinder engine going for as long as we can.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 06:55 AM   #32
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
The V12 760 will continue to be made and BMW have confirmed this thankfully! There was indeed a rumour going around (back in Feb. 2018) but the official BMW 7 series press speaker has since commented "The speculation is false (that the V12 760 will no longer be available). Our very successful 12 cylinder motor will also be offered in the future for the BMW 7 series." (Mr. Martin Schleypen, BMW).

From this source: 7-forum.com site (in German)

I do find it interesting that they have moved the rear reflectors from the original lower position (just above the tail pipes) to above the bumper and it seems in future back down to the bottom of the bumper! A small detail but one that intrigues me....

The huge kidney grill I have to say I'm not a fan of. The bar graph scaling for speed/rpm is also one that makes me think I'll try to get a 2018 low mileage 7 (G12 next time) in a year or two...used with low mileage I hope!

I also remember that in the past, the biggest issue with HID lamps were that they could appear to blind oncoming traffic if they were too small and focussed, and there was a move to disperse the light a bit more for a few years (rather than pin points)...we seem to be going back to small slits for lights which can look great for aesthetics but may be a wrong path for the 'dazzle factor' for oncoming traffic...especially as the lights move to a cooler (higher) colour temperature spectrum and brighter intensity.

I imagine the centre (lower) console will be similar to the 850 which seems to be very "Audi" like with a touch sensitive 'button' for a wild array of different settings...not something that attracts me personally. (I like the sleek, clean Euro lines of minimalism).

Anyway, will be interesting to see the beast when it is finally unveiled and get a proper real life view of the exterior and interior to make a better judgement at that time. Hoping there is a lot that will change still for the better!
      07-12-2018, 10:22 AM   #33
randy1911
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1997 740il

I was around a person that I would say is on the level of a regional manager, and he told me that the 2020 will be shown in full before the end of 2018 and will be up for ordering by March of 2019. I'm not even in the market for this vehicles but I wanted to share what was told to me, take it with a grain of salt, the guy works for bmw in Woodcliff, I was at a dealership when I met him.
Appreciate 1
gmag73.00
      11-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #34
jpolonista
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2017 440xi GC MPPSK

Is it possible that lci 750i will get n63tu3 (530hp) from the start, meaning: it will be possible to order such variant in March 2019, as a my2020? That would be great!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:31 PM   #35
ewoody
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M760e xDrive (2x)

Garage List
Upcoming BMW model pipeline preview info - from G29 and G06 to F92 and beyond https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=901686
Appreciate 1