BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #1
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Tony Robbins Events

Anyone attended any of his events? Recommended or not?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 05:21 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Never attended - my opinion is that self-help seminars (that charge fees) prey on people's weaknesses.
Stay away from that crap.
He's as bad as Suzi Orman, their success is charging money for books not CD's to suckers not from their own success or financial smarts.

Last edited by overcoil; 03-17-2016 at 07:10 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 05:39 AM   #3
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

I've never been to one of his. I've been to business conferences where they have brought in guest speakers like John Maxwell, John Walsh and many others I can't think of at the moment.
If you are interested in self improvement, just google a "top 10 list" of self help books and visit you local library or bookstore and start reading or listening to the audio version.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 05:52 AM   #4
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger
Never attended - my opinion is that self-help seminars (that charge fees) prey on people's weaknesses.
He's as bad as Suzi Orman, their success is charging money for books not CD's to sockers not from their own success or financial smarts.
This pretty much sums it up from my perspective as well.
      03-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #5
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Appreciate 1
      03-17-2016, 06:26 AM   #6
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Three little words: Don't Give Up...

There, I've saved you from going to the seminar.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 06:57 AM   #7
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Reminds me of Amway.....gather the sheep and will take their wool without them noticing.
Although I'm sure these seminars are inspirational...but your just getting mr Robbins rich instead of you.
Just do some reading online friend....or attend church if you need to feel part of something bigger than yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 06:58 AM   #8
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Three little words:

Get That Paper!
      03-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #9
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
Three little words:

Get That Paper!
CREAM get the money.

Tony Robbing you.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 08:47 AM   #10
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 10:10 AM   #11
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Anyone attended any of his events? Recommended or not?
For the most part, people attending will get what they want to get out of seminars like this. The people who are being forced to go will get very little, the people interested in learning about how other people think, process things, set goals, measure goals, etc... will get something from this that helps them fine tune portions of their life.

To be close minded to alternate views on things listed above is ignorant.

That said, it's a profession that charismatic people have chosen and they do get wealthy from it. But that's not to say there isn't something to learn. Somewhere in the seminar is a nugget of information that may change the way you do something in your life and make you happier, more efficient and or better equipped for the rest of your life.

My father has always told me that you have to listen to what other people have to say. Take the things that will help you and flush the rest of it so it doesn't get in the way of what you're doing that already works.
      03-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #12
schoy
Major
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
He's as bad as Suzi Orman, their success is charging money for books not CD's to suckers not from their own success or financial smarts.
I dunno, I think Suzi Orman's different because she had a free weekly show on PBS. Even though most of her advice was common sense, you'd be surprised how little common sense there is the world from the calls she would get. Plus, her advice (which was free) was rarely harmful (pay off high interest rate debt first, save up an emergency fund, don't buy things you can't afford). People sometimes just need to hear an "expert" say what they probably already know. No different than a kid being more apt to learn something from a teacher than from their parents.
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #13
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
For the most part, people attending will get what they want to get out of seminars like this. The people who are being forced to go will get very little, the people interested in learning about how other people think, process things, set goals, measure goals, etc... will get something from this that helps them fine tune portions of their life.

To be close minded to alternate views on things listed above is ignorant.

That said, it's a profession that charismatic people have chosen and they do get wealthy from it. But that's not to say there isn't something to learn. Somewhere in the seminar is a nugget of information that may change the way you do something in your life and make you happier, more efficient and or better equipped for the rest of your life.

My father has always told me that you have to listen to what other people have to say. Take the things that will help you and flush the rest of it so it doesn't get in the way of what you're doing that already works.
A few friends of mine attended a few years back. They said it was good although they're not sure if they would pay to go again. I've been curious about the event and whether it actually helps develop you as a person.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #14
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

OP - While I have never felt the need to attend an event like this, I believe you can find value in others perspective on life, life experience, and processes, This could be Tony Robbins, the wealth of knowledge here on BP, or a WWII vet.

At the end of the day - it's how you can apply this knowledge for your benefit is the key.

What works for some, may not work for others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.

Last edited by ASBSECU E93; 03-17-2016 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 2
      03-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #15
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

There are plenty of self help books that contain the same if not better information on ways that you can transform your life.

Much cheaper, and you can absorb the material and go back and re-read things, instead of paying to sit in a seminar to forget most of what you heard a few days later.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #16
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

I agree with what a lot of you said, particularly about books. I like to learn from others and develop myself. I have read many books, some of which I will list below. Which other ones would you recommend?

Think and grow rich
How to win friends and influece people
Don't sweat the small stuff
How to be rich
Do it!- let's get off our buts
The strangest secret
7 day startup
Quiet
The e-myths
Etc.

I'm still curious about Tony Robbins UPW event in Dallas this June though.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #17
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
I agree with what a lot of you said, particularly about books. I like to learn from others and develop myself. I have read many books, some of which I will list below. Which other ones would you recommend?

Think and grow rich
How to win friends and influece people
Don't sweat the small stuff
How to be rich
Do it!- let's get off our buts
The strangest secret
7 day startup
Quiet
The e-myths
Etc.

I'm still curious about Tony Robbins UPW event in Dallas this June though.
If you've read all those and are still curious about TR UPW, you'll probably enjoy it.

But i think what matters most about those events is how you apply what you've learned. I know someone who read Rich Dad Poor Dad and from the moment he put the book down began applying every principle in the book. He's been very successful and had a plethora of rental properties. Helps that he read the book just after the real estate crash happened. So he was able to snatch things up in short sales, foreclosure, etc... and his retirement is pretty much set to give him between $10,000 and $18,000 (today's money) rental income every month depending on vacancy. All of which increases along side with inflation, whenever it gets here.

So at some point you have to work all this information in to life application. Keep what works for you, dump what doesn't.
      03-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #18
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoy View Post
I dunno, I think Suzi Orman's different because she had a free weekly show on PBS. Even though most of her advice was common sense, you'd be surprised how little common sense there is the world from the calls she would get. Plus, her advice (which was free) was rarely harmful (pay off high interest rate debt first, save up an emergency fund, don't buy things you can't afford). People sometimes just need to hear an "expert" say what they probably already know. No different than a kid being more apt to learn something from a teacher than from their parents.
There was a good book that came out a few years back by a Los Angeles Times consumer columnist Helaine Olen titled 'POUND FOOLISH'.
One of the chapters was on Orman, here are a few points from the chapter.

1) she didn't make her money by investing but by selling self help books.

2) she hawked her own debit card with monthly fee, which she falsely said could "aid" your credit score. and it carried surprise fees.

3) she promoted new car loans for G.M., when her advice up to that period was to buy used.

4) She was endorsing for profit the MONEY NAVIGATOR newsletter that promoted stocks when she herself invested in municipal bonds.

To read the chapter is to get a better sense of the contradictory and selfish self-promoting that Orman as an entity is.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 01:37 PM   #19
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

I've been to his event a few years back. The highlight was walking on hot coals. The most powerful speaker I've ever seen. So much so that he put my coworkers in a trance. It's real high energy with activity and music, definitely motivating. My company paid for my entrance as it wasn't cheap and like everything else if you don't use it or practice the techniques it's worthless.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #20
MChat
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 (en route)

Garage List
Whether you're of the opinion that these types of events are all scams, or that they really are beneficial, and after reading various opinions in this thread, and hearing from a few that have actually been to an event or two, you'll realize that those who have been to an event are the best resources to listen to concerning these events.

I have not been to a Tony Robbins event, but I have been involved with Michael Bernoff (http://www.michaelbernoff.com) for almost 3 years now. Starting about a year prior to attending Michael Bernoff's Core Strength Experience, I found evidence that my wife of almost 13 years was cheating on me. After a brief period of trying to figure out what to do next, I decided that divorce was my answer. But I had a belief that getting divorced meant that I had failed.

Have you ever seen the movie Click with Adam Sandler? In that movie, Michael Newman (Adam's character) is given a remote that allows him to fast-forward through parts of his life that are boring or tedious, but the remote ends up taking over and fast-forwarding through most of his life. He only gets brief moments where his life is not on auto-pilot.

Surprisingly, this movie is not far from reality. While we don't have a remote-control fast-forwarding our lives for us, the vast majority of people simply live life on auto-pilot. That is subconsciously going through the motions, day in, day out, perhaps briefly snapping out of that auto-pilot mode to wonder what the heck is going on. Sometimes you really wake-up and see that the life you've designed for yourself is not the life you wanted. Some people call this a mid-life-crisis, and define it as something to "get over" and just let things get back to normal. That is to simply go back on auto-pilot.

In the movie, Michael Newman loses control of his life to the remote control that keeps his life on auto-pilot. And, you can choose to let the remote control keep your life on auto-pilot or you can do something you normally wouldn’t do. What if there was one weekend that could give you control back? What if one weekend could awaken and free your mind so you can choose something different than that average auto-pilot life you’ve been living? What if there was one weekend that could transform you into the kind of person who gets the life you’ve always wanted?

Six years ago I hit a plateau in my career, was stuck in a failing marriage, and was resigned to live out my days living an average life (about the only thing that was going right was my spiritual life, but only from a certain perspective). A little bit over 3 years ago I was woken up; I jumped into the deep end and my life started rapidly unwinding. By the following summer I was divorced, unemployed, living in a 750 sqft apartment (after having owned a 3000 sqft house w/ a 4 car garage), not going to church (after having taught Jr Church and adult Sunday School for ~6 years) and subconsciously doing everything I could to destroy my life (after all that's what is supposed to happen when you get divorced, right?).

What changed in my life? I met a fantastic woman who loved me enough to send me to a truly life transforming event – just one weekend. One weekend with Michael Bernoff's Core Strength Experience. Just one weekend really woke me up; not a spiritual awakening, but a mental awakening. In just one weekend I figured out the program I had written for my mind to run, and how I was never going to get what I want by running that same program over and over again. The software needed to be refactored, improved bit by bit, to get what I wanted. In just one weekend what I learned has given me the ability to truly transform who I am, to improve myself bit by bit because the only way to get what you want in life is to become the person who will get what you want – a better version of you.

Since that one weekend, I’ve started my own business (initially working as a contractor and now have more projects lined up than I have time to work on); I became engaged to that wonderful woman; bought a new house; got married; went on not one, but two cruises (one was the honeymoon); have a bouncing baby boy; have bought some raw land which my new bride and I plan on building our dream home on in a few years, a home which prior to that transforming weekend I would never have dreamed of owning and finally last November I bought a car 3 years ago I would have never dreamed of owning -- a new 2016 M3. Shift-by-shift, I am improving my life, finally reaching for and getting the life that previously I could only dream of. And it all started with just one weekend.

Needless to say my life has significantly improved.

Did Michael Bernoff do any of these things for me? Absolutely not, but he did introduce me to the person who did: me. At CSE I much of what I learned was about me, why I did things the way I did them; what invalid belief systems were holding me back. Simply put Michael helped me upgrade Me v1.0 to Me v2.0.

I'm not the only one who's life has improved drastically since going to CSE. Michael holds the event twice a year, and a bunch of us that have been return to help out as "leaders", each one of these leaders have their own testimony of the successes they've had since first attending CSE. While obviously not everyone was trying to destroy their lives the way I was, everyone has their story (some are very successful in their businesses and simply wanted to take it to the next level, some simply wanted to improve their relationships with others). I've not missed a CSE since my first (I am looking forward to the next one in April) and have returned to watch group after group of people have breakthroughs that allow them to go back and live the life they've dreamed of.

All of this may seem like a sales pitch; I can assure you that it is not. I don't work directly for Michael and I don't make any money even if I got 100 people to go. I'm sharing this because I have found it is something that works; and it works for everyone that goes (unless they purposely choose not to "get it" -- e.g. someone that was "forced" to go). What will you choose? The average life that being on auto-pilot will give you? Or will you choose a single weekend that will introduce you to a better version of yourself?

http://www.corestrengthexperience.com

2016 BMW M3 (stock)
2005 Jeep LJ (slightly modified)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #21
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

^ dang that is one expensive course!!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #22
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I went to a Chopra talk a few years ago. I wanted to learn more ayervedic eating, didn't know this was more of a psych event. He still had some nice insights into life and living it.

At one break, I'm leaning against a wall or something. He walked out into the lobby and I didn't go ga-ga running over to get his autograph or whatever. He knew that I knew that he knew I wasn't going to buy anything (I already had a few of his little books) so he didn't come over and speak to me. It was useful to me to confirm I still had my head on straight, and still had some room to improve.

Kinda like when I went to see a shrink just after high school graduation. I had some depression going on, wasn't as cool a kid as I thought. I spent one or two sessions with the shrink and found out I wasn't really in some sort of alien experiment ( 1MOREMOD hadn't arrived in the area yet) so I made a decision that college would be better, and that was that.
Appreciate 0