BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

08-06-2021, 10:03 PM   #1
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i Azurite Black

Drove a Mercedes S Class 580 Today

My BMW 760 lease is expiring so I started looking for a new vehicle today.
Drove the new Mercedes. Very quiet, comfortable seats, hi tech HUD. But not sure about the touch screen. I am so used to the ease of the iDrive system and the 760 fits me like a glove. I just do not get the same feeling in the S Class that I do driving the BMW. Has anyone driven the new S Class or bought it? If so, can anyone share their experiences as to pros and cons coming from a BMW.

Last edited by Kmish; 08-07-2021 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
KK22137.50
      08-07-2021, 02:51 AM   #2
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmish View Post
Drove the new Mercedes. Very quiet, comfortable seats, hi tech HUD. But not sure about the touch screen. I am so used to the ease of the iDrive system snd the 760 fits me like a glove. I just do not get the samd feeling in the S Class that I do driving the BMW. Has anyone driven the new S Class or bought it? If so, can anyone share their experiences as to pros and cons coming from a BMW.
Thanks for your first impressions, I imagine you will find more feedback from the folks in mbworld.com From what I've read, initial impressions are not raving like the "professional" reviews like Ive read. There are issues with the center screen not working and the interior materials not up to par like I predicted.

As a general rule, I never buy the first year release of any car, especially a German one And especially one with many ground breaking technologies. There will be a lot of failures and on the fly updates and I just dont have time for that.

From my previous drives all BMWs innately drive "sportier" than the MB counterparts, however that is not what is said about the G12. Maybe a better comparison to your M760 would be to an AMG model S class that may be rolled out next year. And waiting a year may not be a bad thing for the above stated reasons. But then by then you may have a good idea of the next 7 as well.

I'm looking forward to test driving an S500 as soon as I get back to the US from a work trip. Will post more impressions as soon as I do!
      08-07-2021, 11:17 AM   #3
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

MB is luxury over driving dynamics. Have you tried a Panamera? The Executive 4S E Hybrid or Turbo E Hybrid would compare more favorably to your 760. Could always do another 7 Series as well.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 1
      08-07-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
MB is luxury over driving dynamics. Have you tried a Panamera? The Executive 4S E Hybrid or Turbo E Hybrid would compare more favorably to your 760. Could always do another 7 Series as well.
I am 6’5” and I do not fit comfortably in the Panny. My twin brother ended up being 2 inches shorter somehow, and he drives a Panny. I can only fit in 7 Series and S Class.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #5
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Quote:
I am 6’5” and I do not fit comfortably in the Panny. My twin brother ended up being 2 inches shorter somehow, and he drives a Panny. I can only fit in 7 Series and S Class.
I suppose the only other large, main stream luxury sedan would be an Audi S8, otherwise you are moving into Bentley/Rolls territory, and I have zero idea how they lease. Have you looked at an Alpina XB7?
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 08:14 PM   #6
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I suppose the only other large, main stream luxury sedan would be an Audi S8, otherwise you are moving into Bentley/Rolls territory, and I have zero idea how they lease. Have you looked at an Alpina XB7?
I do not fit in the XB7 (or the GLS either). My relationships to get discounts are with BMW and Mercedes so Audi is out. It is S Class or 760/B7. I test drove the S580 again today. It drives great. Hate the touch screen. Hate the steering wheel controls. If the S Class had the iDrive system, gear shift selector in the console, and better color choices like BMW it would be perfect! Wish the new 7 would be out sooner.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 10:06 PM   #7
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Quote:
I do not fit in the XB7 (or the GLS either). My relationships to get discounts are with BMW and Mercedes so Audi is out. It is S Class or 760/B7. I test drove the S580 again today. It drives great. Hate the touch screen. Hate the steering wheel controls. If the S Class had the iDrive system, gear shift selector in the console, and better color choices like BMW it would be perfect! Wish the new 7 would be out sooner.
I definitely feel your pain being 6'7 myself, and as a fellow G12 owner I agree that it's tough to find something as spacious that isn't a '73 Cadillac. Have you tried out the 8-Series though?

Although the coupe and vert are out of the question (before I could get reclined far enough back to be comfortable I was hitting the rear seat) the Gran Coupe had more than enough legroom/headroom for me and a cool "cockpit" feel to it.

If that chassis works for you then a B8 would take the cake.
      08-07-2021, 10:27 PM   #8
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post
I definitely feel your pain being 6'7 myself, and as a fellow G12 owner I agree that it's tough to find something as spacious that isn't a '73 Cadillac. Have you tried out the 8-Series though?

Although the coupe and vert are out of the question (before I could get reclined far enough back to be comfortable I was hitting the rear seat) the Gran Coupe had more than enough legroom/headroom for me and a cool "cockpit" feel to it.

6’7” must be very challenging with cars!
The S Class is the only car that I have to move the seat up from its furthest position. It’s great!

The B8 would be fun, but still want need/want a family car for going out with my sons.

On another off topic question- Where is your favorite store to get nice clothes?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #9
ewoody
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M760e xDrive (2x)

Garage List
I drove a S500 a couple of month ago.

Its a nice car for sure, but as you said the touchscreen is a real nightmare. Unable to use it without looking at it. Full of fingerprints! Also the steeringwheel controls are not easy to use.

After the testdrive I was very happy to get back to my 745Le! For me the much better car!
Appreciate 1
Al Pinã1839.50
      08-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #10
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Drove the new Mercedes. Very quiet, comfortable seats, hi tech HUD. But not sure about the touch screen. I am so used to the ease of the iDrive system and the 760 fits me like a glove. I just do not get the same feeling in the S Class that I do driving the BMW. Has anyone driven the new S Class or bought it? If so, can anyone share their experiences as to pros and cons coming from a BMW.
How many miles per year do you typically rack up?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 09:16 AM   #11
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

6’7” must be very challenging with cars!
The S Class is the only car that I have to move the seat up from its furthest position. It’s great!

The B8 would be fun, but still want need/want a family car for going out with my sons.

On another off topic question- Where is your favorite store to get nice clothes?
The only brand that seems to make clothes with people our height in mind is Hugo Boss.

For jeans and more casual stuff I go with J-Brand or Joes.

It's never easy though! Shoes are a whole other issue trying to find 15's!
      08-08-2021, 11:25 AM   #12
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
9000 year.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #13
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
9000 year.
I'd suggest a peek at a Flying Spur, but that mileage would send the residual into the toilet. What about a Panamera Executive?
Appreciate 1
M37761.50
      08-08-2021, 11:47 AM   #14
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'd suggest a peek at a Flying Spur, but that mileage would send the residual into the toilet. What about a Panamera Executive?
I don’t fit in the Panny; and the Flying Spur wouldn’t fit in my neighborhood!

I think I am going to try the S Class for the next 3 years and try to figure out it’s touchscreen BS.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 01:02 PM   #15
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think I am going to try the S Class for the next 3 years and try to figure out it’s touchscreen BS.
Like the previous poster suggested, the Panamera Executive has like 6" more rear legroom than the standard car.

I think that's the direction I'm headed after a less than stellar experience with my current G12.

Since my youngest is now grown and about to be off to college I don't need the rear legroom as much, so I've been stalking the new E-Hybrid 4S Sports Turismo. Drove a 2018 for several days in Colorado last spring and absolutely fell in love.

Having 20 miles of electric range is perfect for running local errands, and when you need to carve up a mountain road the driving dynamics are there in spades. Here's a GoPro video I made:

Attached Images

08-08-2021, 01:57 PM   #16
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Like the previous poster suggested, the Panamera Executive has like 6" more rear legroom than the standard car.

I think that's the direction I'm headed after a less than stellar experience with my current G12.

Since my youngest is now grown and about to be off to college I don't need the rear legroom as much, so I've been stalking the new E-Hybrid 4S Sports Turismo. Drove a 2018 for several days in Colorado last spring and absolutely fell in love.

Having 20 miles of electric range is perfect for running local errands, and when you need to carve up a mountain road the driving dynamics are there in spades. Here's a GoPro video I made:

Rear legroom? How does that help me? I am the driver, not the driven. I do not fit in the driver’s seat.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #17
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep

More rear legroom means you can recline the front seat back further without hitting the rears.

Certainly we've all got different body-types, but I fit in the Panny just fine.

It all depends what you value I suppose. If you want a luxurious supple ride, the Merc is hard to beat. For driving dynamics it's Porsche or Alplina.
      08-08-2021, 02:46 PM   #18
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Headroom limited?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 06:14 PM   #19
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Headroom limited?
Legroom
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2021, 09:22 PM   #20
750LiBeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750i

Quote:
Quote:
I don't fit in the Panny; and the Flying Spur wouldn't fit in my neighborhood!

I think I am going to try the S Class for the next 3 years and try to figure out it's touchscreen BS.
New S class or 760 fit in your neighborhood but a flying spur doesn't?
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2021, 10:26 PM   #21
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750LiBeemer View Post
New S class or 760 fit in your neighborhood but a flying spur doesn't?
Yes, correct. I am in suburbia in Georgia not Bel Air or Calabasas.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 08:28 PM   #22
Wavy
Captain
Rep
Drives: B8

I've owned a F02 and drove a G12 for a weekend. Now I have a W223. The touchscreen does take getting used to but I don't need to use it much while driving. I keep the climate on auto and rarely need to adjust it. Skipping tracks can be done with the steering wheel. Entering addresses to the nav can be done with voice or sent to the car before entering.

'23 B8, '84 Monte Carlo SS, '23 Escalade, '21 S 580, '20 AMG GT 53 , '18 LS 500, '18 X6, '16 Corvette, '12 750Li, '14 GS 350, '13 ES 350, '10 Maxima, '09 Challenger
Appreciate 0