BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

05-11-2020, 11:56 PM   #1
Shaft
Rep
Drives: BMW 740 Li

Change brake pads in 40 miles

I have a 2013 BMW 740Li XDrive MSport. On the display it say to change front brake pads in 40 miles. Some tell me I don't have to change sensors because the brake pad symbol hasn't illuminated on the dash, some tell me I do ha e to change the sensor because the computer monitors the resistance of the existing sensor itself and if I don't change them, I can't effectively reset the proper time the brake pads are to be changed again. Should I get the BMW pads and play it safe or should I try a better brand? Also are there any pads that are just as good as OEM but don't produce the brake dust that messes up the rims?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 09:14 AM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Here’s a link to the TIS website that discusses the front brake pad sensor. Take note of the recommendation to replace the sensor once it has been removed from the brake pad because it loses its “retention capability”...so it really depends on you and how you feel about it and care if you have to go back and replace it if you start getting a warning because the old sensor isn’t staying in place: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nents/1LP7hrCy

It’s your call...is the small price for the sensor worth the hassle? Or perhaps it will work out fine.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 10:05 PM   #3
Shaft
Rep
Drives: BMW 740 Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Here's a link to the TIS website that discusses the front brake pad sensor. Take note of the recommendation to replace the sensor once it has been removed from the brake pad because it loses its "retention capability"...so it really depends on you and how you feel about it and care if you have to go back and replace it if you start getting a warning because the old sensor isn't staying in place: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...nents/1LP7hrCy

It's your call...is the small price for the sensor worth the hassle? Or perhaps it will work out fine.
Thank you. I took it to my mechanic who works on BMW's and has the computer software pertaining to BMW. Bought the car used and brake pads were not low. The front brake sensor on the computer showed it at 5%. Mechanic said although the brake pads were still basically good, he couldn't reset the vehicle computer once it went lower than 25%. I replaced the sensor and so far I'm good again. I will monitor my wear and tear on the pads. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0