BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

08-13-2021, 03:55 PM   #1
hunterp27
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpina B7 LWB

Passenger sunvisor light weirdness

OK gang here is a weird one for ya. Ever since I have owned this car the passenger side sun visor operates funky. Normally when you pull the visor down the light comes on automatically. When you slide open the mirror, the light turns off which is exactly the opposite of how it should work. Anyone else had this issue? Any thoughts on how to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 08:41 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I’m under a time constraint…so couldn’t edit these images perfectly like I wanted…so the bottom of the 1st image and the top of the 2nd image has duplicated info. But hopefully it can shed some light on your situation.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #3
hunterp27
Rep

Thx QSiler7. I am certain that someone who is electrical systems knowledgeable would find your info helpful. I am not so I am gonna need more help.

OK, I am adding a little more info. So typically when you fold the visor down the light is still off. Just as you start to slide the mirror cover open the light turns on for about the first half inch of mirror being revealed, but then as you slide it further it turns the light off. That means the mirror is useless in the dark bc when slid open revealing the whole mirror, you are in the dark. Anyone know what's going on here?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

I would assume that the issue you’re having has something to do with the switch contact that is discussed in the paragraph about PREREQUISITES near the top of the TIS info about functional description.

Read/reread the description of how the light comes on when the contact switch in the visor is within the conditional range…and then the cover of the mirror is opened. See if you adjust the position of the visor while the mirror cover is open to see if the light comes on. It sounds like the contact switch in either the visor or the mirror cover is wonky.

Good luck. If the contact is bad in the visor…you may need a new visor. It may have been damaged by the previous owner who may have been rough on the visor. I remember a thread a decade or so ago…where a forum member had a friend in the front passenger seat that handled the visor so roughly they broke it off the hinge. Personally, if that was someone I knew…they would never be allowed in the front seat…or perhaps my car if they did something like that.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 01:24 PM   #5
hunterp27
Rep

QSilver&,

Much appreciated. I guess I need to remove the visor and get the mirror out of it and check into the sliding mechanism. I will report back if I find anything. Thanks again
Appreciate 0