BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-16-2020, 09:16 AM   #1
razielkain7878
Rep
Drives: 2016 750ix

2016 G12 Battery

Time to replace my car's battery. I tried to start the car and it was almost dead.
I have replaced the battery in previous BMWs and should be able to register the new battery.

The issue is with the G12, I just don't know what to remove from the trunk to be able to access the battery? Is is on the side of the trunk?
I was only able to access the fuse box on the side and that's about it.

Any hints?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
J0nasH
Rep
Drives: BMW 730d

Hi,
The 2 of the batteries are located underneath the trunk carpet. I also have a battery in the engine compartment.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 09:24 AM   #3
J0nasH
Rep

They are located quite far in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
razielkain7878
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nasH View Post
Hi,
The 2 of the batteries are located underneath the trunk carpet. I also have a battery in the engine compartment.
Is that in the middle of the trunk? The carpet is glued to the plastic liner and the liner is not removable. I remember in the previous generation, you are able to unscrew the plastic liner and pull it away to access the battery.

I know of the auxiliary battery at the engine compartment, but there are 2 batteries in the truck? Is that a main battery + another aux?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
mrgicm
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M

You have either 1 or 2 batterys depending on your model/engine/equipment located in the trunk under the trunk carpet, you just need to lift the trunk carpet.

The other battery is located on the passanger side of the engine compartment. You have one plastic connector to turn and lift the top plaatic to access the battery.

If you buy a compatible battery you need to register it to the car. On the main rear battery you have a small connector plugged into the battery, this measures the voltage of the battery, if you unplug it it will show empty.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #6
razielkain7878
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post
You have either 1 or 2 batterys depending on your model/engine/equipment located in the trunk under the trunk carpet, you just need to lift the trunk carpet.

I don't see a carpet that can be lifted:

The carpet is glued to the plastic liner. I was expecting to be able to lift the plastic liner but that's a no go.

Please see photos:
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 01:27 PM   #7
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Here’s instructions from the TIS website on how to remove the luggage compartment floor: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...nel/1VnYVqrp4M

These instructions were a “preliminary” link in the instructions on how to remove/replace the battery (you can type that into the search box if you start over and enter your VIN at the site above).

Removing the luggage compartment floor trim panel
RB-51-034-37
  • Raise the luggage compartment floor trim panel (1) with the special tool 0 494 1 at the rear corner.
  • Remove luggage compartment floor trim panel (1) in direction of arrow.

{this is what the tool looks like}

If you have a set of nylon/plastic pry tools (like the $5.99 set pictured below from NAPA)...use the one that has a slight hook on it so that you can get below the luggage floor panel to lift it up starting in the rear (as suggested in the TIS instructions).

And here are instructions from the TIS website on how to replace/remove the battery...along with other possible preliminary tasks like if you have an engine bay battery or the spare tire option....scroll down or past till you get to what you have installed: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...der/1VnYVxOjKa

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-23-2020 at 06:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 06:28 AM   #8
J0nasH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by razielkain7878 View Post
Is that in the middle of the trunk? The carpet is glued to the plastic liner and the liner is not removable. I remember in the previous generation, you are able to unscrew the plastic liner and pull it away to access the battery.

I know of the auxiliary battery at the engine compartment, but there are 2 batteries in the truck? Is that a main battery + another aux?
I think cars with 4-wheel steering has 2 batteries in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 06:08 AM   #9
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Hopefully the OP has figured this out by now...its not just the layer of carpet that’s needs to be lifted...but the trunk’s floor panel (which the carpet is probably attached to). Any updates or tips that may help someone else in the same situation you were in?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 07:26 PM   #10
jokirkev
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 740i xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgicm View Post

The other battery is located on the passanger side of the engine compartment. You have one plastic connector to turn and lift the top plaatic to access the battery.

If you buy a compatible battery you need to register it to the car. On the main rear battery you have a small connector plugged into the battery, this measures the voltage of the battery, if you unplug it it will show empty.
Do you have directions on how to remove the battery in the engine compartment on the passenger side?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 08:06 PM   #11
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokirkev View Post
Do you have directions on how to remove the battery in the engine compartment on the passenger side?
TIS directions attached, will include the following steps:

1. Remove both windshield wipers
2. Remove the Plastic trim under the wipers
3. Remove the aluminum strut bar (may differ depending on G12 variation)
4. Remove the battery
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_G12_Engine_Compartment_Battery_Replacement.pdf (2.22 MB, 76 views)
Appreciate 0