BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G70) 7-series and BMW i7 General Discussions

06-13-2022, 05:36 PM   #1
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

The end is coming…

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
The CPO runs on the Alpina in October, and I’ve decided that it would be a good time to try something new. It’s a fun/great/unique car, but it’s a labor of love and I’m getting off the wagon.

Ordered a 2022 Tesla Model S Plaid. Original delivery window was June 11 to August 11 but now Sept 11 to Nov 11. It’ll be different for sure.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2022, 04:40 AM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Congrats...why not wait for the I7?

Have you driven the plaid yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 06:57 PM   #3
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i Xdrive-Loaded

That was pretty short.
Why the dramatic change to a Tesla and why not a Taycan? Most lawyers don’t drive more than 100 miles a day.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2022, 11:54 AM   #4
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagu View Post
That was pretty short.
Why the dramatic change to a Tesla and why not a Taycan? Most lawyers don’t drive more than 100 miles a day.
A myriad of reasons. Don’t get me wrong - it’s a blast and I love it. But, I’ve had several mechanical snafus with the Alpina that suggests to me it’s not a reliable long term car, and that the potential fixes could be costly. They still can’t tell me why I occasionally experience a strong aroma of coolant, and a couple other smaller ongoing concerns that never get resolved. I could buy an extended warranty, i know, but I’m also a bit suspect of all the exclusions, etc. I’m old enough, and busy enough, that I just don’t want to deal with any such issues, and this car hasn’t suggested it’s long term reliable.

Also, my wife wants us to get an EV, so she’s actually tickled with me about my automotive decision making for a change. Will be nice for her to embrace
my car rather than the opposite. LOL.

I would truly love a Taycan, but the range is too limited for my needs. Yes, daily work day is fine; but I have 3 kids all going to various colleges and grad schools, between 2 and 7 hours away. I wanted a car that I could take with only one “recharge” stop, not two. Taycan is rated at 225 miles. Plaid is 348. The 100 difference means only one charge stop for most our weekend travel needs.

Last edited by Lawguy; 06-15-2022 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 03:49 PM   #5
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWeatherington View Post
Congrats...why not wait for the I7?

Have you driven the plaid yet?
I’m ready to try something else other than BMW. And while Elon Musk is a lunatic, he is a good bit ahead of the EV market with range and charging stations. Doubt I will love it or keep forever. But it’s the car which is “up next” for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 04:19 PM   #6
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Variety is the spice of life
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 10:26 PM   #7
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post
A myriad of reasons. Don’t get me wrong - it’s a blast and I love it. But, I’ve had several mechanical snafus with the Alpina that suggests to me it’s not a reliable long term car, and that the potential fixes could be costly. They still can’t tell me why I occasionally experience a strong aroma of coolant, and a couple other smaller ongoing concerns that never get resolved. I could buy an extended warranty, i know, but I’m also a bit suspect of all the exclusions, etc. I’m old enough, and busy enough, that I just don’t want to deal with any such issues, and this car hasn’t suggested it’s long term reliable.

Also, my wife wants us to get an EV, so she’s actually tickled with me about my automotive decision making for a change. Will be nice for her to embrace

I would truly love a Taycan, but the range is too limited for my needs. Yes, daily work day is fine; but I have 3 kids all going to various colleges and grad schools, between 2 and 7 hours away. I wanted a car that I could take with only one “recharge” stop, not two. Taycan is rated at 225 miles. Plaid is 348. The 100 difference means only one charge stop for most our weekend travel needs.
Very well said. I’m looking at the Taycan for my next car but common sense says it should be aTesla. I drive an 750 which cpo runs out in December but it has been super reliable to the point that I’m considering keeping it until next year when car prices stabilize. I’m a solo practitioner who drives 75 miles a day and I think that the long range model S will be perfect for me.
      06-16-2022, 04:55 AM   #8
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Very well said. I’m looking at the Taycan for my next car but common sense says it should be aTesla. I drive an 750 which cpo runs out in December but it has been super reliable to the point that I’m considering keeping it until next year when car prices stabilize. I’m a solo practitioner who drives 75 miles a day and I think that the long range model S will be perfect for me.
Candidly, I had really wanted a Lucid Air, but without any ability to know when it would ever arrive, it sadly was not a realistic option.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 08:41 AM   #9
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

I went out for lunch yesterday and let one of my guys drive me in his 2018 (I think) Tesla Model S. He bought it from his Dad because Dad bought a plaid. He still hasn't driven it yet, but is afraid to because then he'll want one.

Anyway...

I test drove a couple of Model S (esses?) years ago and found them wanting for various reasons. This later edition rides better, seems to be put together better and the dashboard looks much nicer. It's still difficult (for me) to get in and out of, with that wide door sill. And I think for that kind of money, it should be more luxurious, as I've been spoiled with my BMWs. And I have range anxiety.

Of course, like the OP, I also have Alpina anxiety, which is a small but constant nagging fear that something is going to go wrong, and in an expensive way. My car is out of warranty and I decided against buying the extended platinum gold plated diamond encrusted warranty offered by BMW, so now I just drive with my fingers crossed. LOL
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 09:43 AM   #10
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I went out for lunch yesterday and let one of my guys drive me in his 2018 (I think) Tesla Model S. He bought it from his Dad because Dad bought a plaid. He still hasn't driven it yet, but is afraid to because then he'll want one.

Anyway...

I test drove a couple of Model S (esses?) years ago and found them wanting for various reasons. This later edition rides better, seems to be put together better and the dashboard looks much nicer. It's still difficult (for me) to get in and out of, with that wide door sill. And I think for that kind of money, it should be more luxurious, as I've been spoiled with my BMWs. And I have range anxiety.

Of course, like the OP, I also have Alpina anxiety, which is a small but constant nagging fear that something is going to go wrong, and in an expensive way. My car is out of warranty and I decided against buying the extended platinum gold plated diamond encrusted warranty offered by BMW, so now I just drive with my fingers crossed. LOL
Why should Alpina cause more anxiety than a 750? The thing I worry about more than basic drivetrain components is the electronics. These cars are computers that have wheels. Even so, the extended warranties that cover electronics are expensive to the point where you might as well self-insure, which is what you're doing. The complexity is what persuades me to lease, which IMHO is just another for of self-insurance.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 02:22 PM   #11
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Why should Alpina cause more anxiety than a 750? The thing I worry about more than basic drivetrain components is the electronics. These cars are computers that have wheels. Even so, the extended warranties that cover electronics are expensive to the point where you might as well self-insure, which is what you're doing. The complexity is what persuades me to lease, which IMHO is just another for of self-insurance.
I concur - I usually lease for those reasons, but the market is so confused and shortages are driving up prices and especially lease rates, so I chose to go used this time.

Alpina-specific parts are more expensive than "regular" BMW stuff, not that I expect any of that stuff to fail.

I was really trying more for humor than accuracy.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 05:41 PM   #12
OnlyGerman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15, F13, F10, E60

You'll be back after experiencing poor Tesla quality
Appreciate 2
ewoody84.00
sahajesh2294.00
      07-02-2022, 10:43 PM   #13
Jagu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyGerman View Post
You'll be back after experiencing poor Tesla quality
I agree. There’s just no comparison. I remember jumping to Lexus to save money about 13 years ago. I sold it in 4 months and came right back to BMW. I think Law Guy will go to a Taycan or come back to bmw in 8 months.
      07-03-2022, 02:40 PM   #14
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
Quote:
Very well said. I'm looking at the Taycan for my next car but common sense says it should be aTesla. I drive an 750 which cpo runs out in December but it has been super reliable to the point that I'm considering keeping it until next year when car prices stabilize. I'm a solo practitioner who drives 75 miles a day and I think that the long range model S will be perfect for me.
Candidly, I had really wanted a Lucid Air, but without any ability to know when it would ever arrive, it sadly was not a realistic option.
FYI, my Lucid Air GT reservation went to ready to build within 4 days of making the reservation deposit, I would have had it by the end of July. I ended up backing out of the Lucid, because my Taycan 4S CT allocation is coming up.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 04:48 PM   #15
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Quote:
That was pretty short.
Why the dramatic change to a Tesla and why not a Taycan? Most lawyers don't drive more than 100 miles a day.
A myriad of reasons. Don't get me wrong - it's a blast and I love it. But, I've had several mechanical snafus with the Alpina that suggests to me it's not a reliable long term car, and that the potential fixes could be costly. They still can't tell me why I occasionally experience a strong aroma of coolant, and a couple other smaller ongoing concerns that never get resolved. I could buy an extended warranty, i know, but I'm also a bit suspect of all the exclusions, etc. I'm old enough, and busy enough, that I just don't want to deal with any such issues, and this car hasn't suggested it's long term reliable.

Also, my wife wants us to get an EV, so she's actually tickled with me about my automotive decision making for a change. Will be nice for her to embrace

I would truly love a Taycan, but the range is too limited for my needs. Yes, daily work day is fine; but I have 3 kids all going to various colleges and grad schools, between 2 and 7 hours away. I wanted a car that I could take with only one "recharge" stop, not two. Taycan is rated at 225 miles. Plaid is 348. The 100 difference means only one charge stop for most our weekend travel needs.
I had a rwd Taycan rental for a week and averaged 310 miles sort of lead footing it. This is a BMW forum and I'm a bmw fan- but that Taycan sort of made me re-evaluate EVs. I had a Plaid for a test drive and it's amazing in its own right. But it's suggested range might be closer to 400 miles but that's a great feat as well.
Appreciate 0