BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

07-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #1
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep
Drives: x5 40i 2019

Garage List
Exclamation Has your BMW ever been broken into or stolen?

I have a new X5, and while it mostly sits at my house, I am aware that this car is much more of a break-in target than any other car I’ve owned.

With all of the tech and safety systems, I’d like to know the vulnerabilities. Please tell your story if your car has been broken into, vandalized or stolen!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Thieves are too busy breaking in to Teslas
Appreciate 5
..Rush..973.50
clee1982796.00
ItsGary1456.50
      07-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #3
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Second BMW, no break-ins. But, having had multiple break-ins over the years with other vehicles, I make sure that I park with nothing visible in the car. Glove box is empty and left open, same with centre console. In other words, it's clear that there's no point in breaking into my car because there's nothing to steal.
Appreciate 1
sikotic482.00
      07-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
KO7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I've had Compustar 2-Way paging security systems in my previous few cars but the system isn't compatible with my BMW M2.

Whenever my car is parked outside my house for a few hours (instead of in the garage), I'll put the key fob into a faraday pouch so the signal and the car don't get poached. Ditto what someone else said about never leaving valuables or bags/backpacks visible.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

If you don't leave valuables visible likelihood of a break-in is minimal.

Usually those that break into bmws take the car with them.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #6
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO7 View Post
I've had Compustar 2-Way paging security systems in my previous few cars but the system isn't compatible with my BMW M2.

Whenever my car is parked outside my house for a few hours (instead of in the garage), I'll put the key fob into a faraday pouch so the signal and the car don't get poached. Ditto what someone else said about never leaving valuables or bags/backpacks visible.
That is interesting.

If I kept my key card in the car in a faraday pouch, it wouldn’t activate? We are going on an extended trip in a few weeks, and having my husband carry the card in his wallet would give him access to the car.

He never drives it, but for that trip we need to take either the second key and/or the key card. I’ve been looking for a solution to let me leave the key card in the car just in case we need it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #7
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Tint the windows.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
Al Pinã1838.50
      07-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #8
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Almost all of the break-ins in my area are from people that forgot to lock their car. With the blinking light on the mirror, I never have had a problem and we don’t have a garage. Our cars are in front of the house.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 08:11 PM   #9
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Almost all of the break-ins in my area are from people that forgot to lock their car. With the blinking light on the mirror, I never have had a problem and we don’t have a garage. Our cars are in front of the house.
Yes, ours are too, but on the side of the house.
We live next to a park, it is a rural area but a fairly tight cluster of homes. We share a driveway, so lots of cars are parked here. My BMW is closest to the house and hidden by the car next to it.

And all the white SUVs look pretty much the same. So, someone unfamiliar with the neighborhood would have to know I have a BMW sitting there, still with temp tag on it (been more than a month!)

I ordered two rfid faraday bags, so I can put the spare key and key card in separate bags. If nothing else, that should help prevent the remote batteries from dying - I think.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #10
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
The rfid bags do nothing to extend battery life. I haven’t found that rfid bags do much. I don’t own any and never have had a problem.

I turned my M235i in after four years and both keys still worked perfectly. So I am not really worried about battery life.
Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00
      07-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #11
KO7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by natahoa View Post
Quote:

That is interesting.

If I kept my key card in the car in a faraday pouch, it wouldn’t activate? We are going on an extended trip in a few weeks, and having my husband carry the card in his wallet would give him access to the car.

He never drives it, but for that trip we need to take either the second key and/or the key card. I’ve been looking for a solution to let me leave the key card in the car just in case we need it.
Yup, leaving the key in the car in a faraday pouch wouldn't allow the car to start. In fact, you could theoretically lock yourself out of your car if you somehow unlocked the trunk and then put the key in the pouch followed by closing the trunk with the pouch inside of the trunk.

I wouldn't recommend leaving the keys in the car though in case a thief finds it. I'm so risk-averse, that I even leave my spare key in my safety deposit box at my bank. Whenever I'm away from home but the bimmer is in the garage, the only way it's getting stolen is if someone breaks into my garage, opens the garage door, and then tows the car away.
Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00
      07-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #12
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Yup, leaving the key in the car in a faraday pouch wouldn't allow the car to start. In fact, you could theoretically lock yourself out of your car if you somehow unlocked the trunk and then put the key in the pouch followed by closing the trunk with the pouch inside of the trunk.

I wouldn't recommend leaving the keys in the car though in case a thief finds it. I'm so risk-averse, that I even leave my spare key in my safety deposit box at my bank. Whenever I'm away from home but the bimmer is in the garage, the only way it's getting stolen is if someone breaks into my garage, opens the garage door, and then tows the car away.
I agree. I never leave a spare key in the car. It is hidden in the house.
Appreciate 2
natahoa252.00
ItsGary1456.50
      07-08-2019, 10:40 PM   #13
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
None of my BMW's have ever been broken into.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #14
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

only time was when my e36 m3 was broken into when I was 19-20. I was at a movie and they busted the window to grab a $40 radar detector

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:34 PM   #15
ewicky
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335xi 4D AT

I walked out to my parking garage recently to find a burglar rummaging thru my E90. He handed back to me what little belongings I leave in the car
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #16
Caduceus
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 (sold), 2017 M2

The days of “hotwiring” cars or busting ignition barrels with screwdrivers are behind us with modern cars. About the only way these get stolen is via access to the the key. This can be by stealing it when you aren’t home or taking it by force when you are. Hide your keys at home. You Americans also have some options against the latter which aren’t available to us Aussies.

Electronically mimicking your key is an emerging threat. Faraday pouches can mitigate this.

Or they just tow it away.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:11 PM   #17
s0211
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 F90 M3 comp

In my area, any car that has access to the trunk from the back seats will very likely be broken in to, even when you don't leave anything in plain sight. Doesn't matter what make or how new or old your car is.
Some tips from someone who only recently moved out of one of the most dangerous cities in the States.

- Place any backpacks/valuables in your trunk BEFORE getting to your destination. Do not take anything out from the trunk at your destination, if you know you need something from the trunk, get it before you start driving.
- Contradictory but, do not leave your car TOO clean, they will assume there are things in the trunk, but also do not leave anything valuable in plain sight. I usually have a t-shirt laying in the back seat for this very reason
- Most SUVs have that cover piece to block valuables from being seen in the trunk, do not use it. The more you try to "hide" the more likely they will try to break in
- From friend's experiences and police records from my brother, tints neither prevent or enforce break ins

My friend had a milk tea stamp card stolen from his car in broad daylight on a busy street . Thieves have zero regard for people's belongings, doesn't matter what car it is.
But if you want BMW statistics,
My m3, no / my brother's 335i, no / cousin's x3 m40i, no / cousin's 328i, no / multiple friend's m3s, no / friend's x5m, no / friend's i8 and m235i, no
Be smart and stay safe out there people!

Last edited by s0211; 07-09-2019 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
natahoa252.00
      07-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #18
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0211 View Post
In my area, any car that has access to the trunk from the back seats will very likely be broken in to, even when you don't leave anything in plain sight. Doesn't matter what make or how new or old your car is.

My friend had a milk tea stamp card stolen from his car in broad daylight on a busy street . Thieves have zero regard for people's belongings, doesn't matter what car it is.
But if you want BMW statistics,
My m3, no / my brother's 335i, no / cousin's x3 m40i, no / cousin's 328i, no / multiple friend's m3s, no / friend's x5m, no / friend's i8 and m235i, no
Be smart and stay safe out there people!
Thanks for a great post!

I never would have bought a high-end car if I lived or worked in a busy city in or near bad neighborhoods. I’ve always lived in the suburbs, and now am retired in a rural era small town.

But I also am in a “village” in a cluster of homes - not out in the boondocks with no other homes nearby. I’d never do that either!

We don’t get much crime, but with so many addicts around, many of whom sort of hide out in cheap rural areas, things do get stolen occasionally. And when traveling you really don’t know the area.

We are traveling to a suburb of Atlanta, then on to Memphis and will be staying downtown for a few days in an Airbnb house in a neighborhood.

I actually tried the digital key card today. Worked great, but some of my settings weren’t the same. I’ve got some faraday pouches on order so I can keep the digital key with me during the trip, but will remove it from the car just to be safe, when not driving.
Appreciate 1
s021199.00
      07-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #19
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

When I had my e90, it was broken into and bashed to hell.

They stole pretty much everything that wasn't bolted down (Thank god I had the bright idea of having the subs and amp bolted down).

I was gone from my car for maybe... 2 hours and came back to 2 busted windows, dents, stabs in my seats and 3 punctured tires and a stripped wheel lock.

My guess for these jerks is they were watching my car for way longer than that night alone.

I had my polisher, air tools and some random detailing items in the trunk that all went missing as well.

The insurance company covered the damages but told me that I'd need to provide receipts and file a second claim for reimbursements. I've had the tools for well over 5 years so I couldn't find a single receipt when it came time to claim it.

Strange part, I purposely parked on a well lit, busy street with constant police patrol. It didn't seem to stop them at all though...
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2019, 06:24 PM   #20
natahoa
Retired soccer mom
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
When I had my e90, it was broken into and bashed to hell.

They stole pretty much everything that wasn't bolted down (Thank god I had the bright idea of having the subs and amp bolted down).

I was gone from my car for maybe... 2 hours and came back to 2 busted windows, dents, stabs in my seats and 3 punctured tires and a stripped wheel lock.

My guess for these jerks is they were watching my car for way longer than that night alone.

I had my polisher, air tools and some random detailing items in the trunk that all went missing as well.

The insurance company covered the damages but told me that I'd need to provide receipts and file a second claim for reimbursements. I've had the tools for well over 5 years so I couldn't find a single receipt when it came time to claim it.

Strange part, I purposely parked on a well lit, busy street with constant police patrol. It didn't seem to stop them at all though...
Ugh, nasty story. Was it a personal thing? Seems odd that they didn’t take the car. How long ago?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 03:59 AM   #21
barracuda4
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i, Merc SL 550,

I never keep anything of value stored in the car, bags etc are never left in sight so I think that is part of the reason why my BMWs have never been broken into.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 04:27 AM   #22
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Nope, never so much as had my parking meter change swiped from the central cup holder.

People assume if it's parked with the top off, someone must be watching it.

(YMMV)
Appreciate 0