BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-13-2020, 11:39 AM   #837
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Got bored so added on to our patio in the backyard. Original patio is ~10ft x 10ft, addition is ~11ft x 10ft.

Was planning on concrete but wasnt sure how big we wanted so went with pavers 1st and then in a couple years ill pour concrete.

Still have to fab up a metal cover for the window well by the smoker and ill place the gas grill on that.

All in, the paver patio cost me ~$600 and about 20hrs of my time vs concrete was going to be about $1500.

threw in a pic of my truck when i didnt think about how heavy a pallet of concrete pavers was and didnt bring my trailer....
Attached Images

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 3
RickFLM410873.00
vreihen1614882.00
      07-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #838
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
So we wanted to freshen up the look but it is tricky as the house has heavy trim and a certain level or ornateness to it so going hard modern won’t fit. To make things REALLY difficult, the ground floor was white oak and upstairs and stairs themselves red oak. NIGHTMARE situation, really was.

Compromise sees a bit too much red/pink in the floors on second level and had to go with the contrasting steps to break up the transition. We love the ground floor white oak and how that turned out but the second floor was just miserable to deal with as we did not want to go dark with flooring.

Obviously we are missing décor items, art work etc but this gives you an idea of the changes.

Formal dining, you can see the flooring we like here. Have since moved the mirror and added art work from croatian/australian Billich.

Contrasting stairs to try and ease the transition from white to red oak.

Upstairs

Changed flooring in the basement, added couch and 65 inch TV. It’s much bigger than it looks here as it is a horseshoe but I won’t bore you with too many pictures.

Now the kitchen, I would have went with SS fridge and dishwasher to break it up but wife wanted panels. Really happy with how it turned out, missing drinking faucet here and a few other finish items but you get the drift. Mix of shaker and slab to transition from old school to modern.

I will say the flooring in these images is far redder than they really are, the dining room photo above gives a better idea of the colour.

Went with induction but I wanted knobs, loathe touch panels.

Bar turned out superb, really happy with it. The drawer between the bar ad the fridge pulls out for wine storage and a prep shelf. I’ll post a picture if anyone asks!

Nicely done!! That being said, a bunch of images didn't come through and says they are being protected by owner. Just fyi.

Still, that reno must have cost over $100K with everything you did. And that backyard is amazing for Toronto - I used to work there so I have a general idea. We have a little over 2 acres where we live now, so bit different but we left most of it treed. Which is causing me no shortage of grief now, because the arborists want $5K just to take down the 10 or so ash/pine trees that are dead and need to come down as they are close enough to hit the house.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 01:24 PM   #839
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

dinonz show us pics of the pool area (filled).

Also, I redid our patio, finally finished it last Monday. In my great wisdom, I forgot to take before pictures, but imagine the patio you see here, but in the joints it was filled with limestone / dirt and growing lots of weeds. Which meant we were de-weeding and spraying twice a summer at least.

So I wound up hand troweling out half of the patio in between the joints and then my neighbour was over for a cigar and saw what I was doing, so he lent me his pressure washer, which took up the rest of it pretty well and removed most of the limestone dirt (went down a few inches).

Then I pressure washed every single stone you see to take off the last 15 years of moss, dirt, and grime. Then I rented a stone saw and cut off the overhanging stone along the perimeter and glued all the perimeter stones that were loose back down.

Also reseated a bunch of stones in the center that became loose.

Then poured and swept the polymeric sand in, blew off the excess with the leaf blower and set it with water. Took 560 pounds of polymeric sand.

This is the final product - no before pictures sorry.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      07-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #840
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Nice work on the patio, cannot believe you did it yourself!

I fixed the images, check out the bar!

And 100K? Forget the yard, just for the house ...... and keep going.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #841
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebekahb View Post
@Alfisti y'all did a great job! It takes a lot of work and patience. The new kitchen really brightens that area and it seems more spacious.

We bought a home a few years back and basically gutted the whole thing. Never will I ever do this again.
THanks. It did brighten the space for sure, just so damn expensive the kitchen i mean. But it's done.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #842
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Nice work on the patio, cannot believe you did it yourself!

I fixed the images, check out the bar!

And 100K? Forget the yard, just for the house ...... and keep going.
That's what I figured - wouldn't believe you for a second if you had said you managed to do that for $100K - even if we were just talking about indoors, nevermind the pool.

Thanks for fixing those pics - looks great!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 02:44 PM   #843
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

FWIW ... kitchen alone with appliances, electrical etc, like all in, $55K. Floors $20K. Pool and rest of yard $100K. There was more done indoors, basement etc so yeah it's adding up.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #844
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Kitchen remodel adds up really quickly. Before remodeling a kitchen, I thought kitchen faucets on the high end were $300 (Home Depot fancy section)

I was wrong!

Alfisti The place looks much better! You brought up a good point about moving! New property taxes! Cash out on your house, buy a new more expensive place and bam! You are paying $100k over 30 years just in property taxes. Plus - a new house rarely has every feature you and your wife want, so a nice remodel could sometimes be the way to go.

Can't wait to see the Florida house when it's done! When I see a house like that looking at water, I imagine those accordion doors floor to ceiling to emphasize the view! However, I am not sure what that house will be worth so sometimes it's not a good idea to invest $30k in doors in a $xxxk house.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2020, 09:57 PM   #845
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
dinonz show us pics of the pool area (filled).
Filled with water at least. No bikini clad women sorry
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
Nachbar8023.00
RickFLM410873.00
vreihen1614882.00
PoorLurker1135.00
rebekahb3128.50
      07-14-2020, 07:45 AM   #846
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Kitchen remodel adds up really quickly. Before remodeling a kitchen, I thought kitchen faucets on the high end were $300 (Home Depot fancy section)

I was wrong!

Alfisti The place looks much better! You brought up a good point about moving! New property taxes! Cash out on your house, buy a new more expensive place and bam! You are paying $100k over 30 years just in property taxes. Plus - a new house rarely has every feature you and your wife want, so a nice remodel could sometimes be the way to go.
I live in a weird area that has about 20 lots with monumental yards for the location, try 80 X 375, 10 miles from downtown ...... these are HUGE urban yards. Mine is 65 x 125 for reference. So, i wanted to get into one of those mega lots, i just like space and was prepared to build a small house on it, say 2400 sq ft to save a few dollars.

But man, a lot that size you gotta landscape and the taxes are more than DOUBLE my house. Just made no sense but I still cringe every time i open my front door, i know what i want.
Appreciate 1
PoorLurker1135.00
      07-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #847
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I live in a weird area that has about 20 lots with monumental yards for the location, try 80 X 375, 10 miles from downtown ...... these are HUGE urban yards. Mine is 65 x 125 for reference. So, i wanted to get into one of those mega lots, i just like space and was prepared to build a small house on it, say 2400 sq ft to save a few dollars.

But man, a lot that size you gotta landscape and the taxes are more than DOUBLE my house. Just made no sense but I still cringe every time i open my front door, i know what i want.
Honestly I didn't even know they had lots that big in Toronto anymore - that's pretty close to 3/4 of an acre! Would have guessed that would have been subdivided into two at least by now lol.

I'm like you though - I like space and I like the idea of land. I don't even know what to do with it, I just know I want it lol.

Our lot is about 160 x 600 right now, and I was really trying to get the wife on board with purchasing the adjoining parcel that partially backs onto our section (but extends much wider) which was 55 acres, but they wanted $1.1M for it and we just couldn't do it. Someone else bought it now, but to this day, I think it is going to be something I regret not purchasing. I truly believe in 10 years or so I could have got approvals to change the zoning and develop in there and make a killing. Which is probably what the current owner is planning.

Just emailed a realtor though about another parcel of land that is apparently 20 acres, but surrounded by industrial, want to know a little more about it and might take a spin out to see it. Might be a land banking opportunity depending on the area, but it is a good 20 minutes away from me so I don't really know the area.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #848
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

I am thinking land banking too, that was my idea, eventually split the lot and sell one half. But the taxes, the taxes are just ridiculous. This country honestly, so many hidden costs, it's even more expensive than back home which is saying something.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #849
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Alfisti beautiful place sir and well done on the reno. Looks amazing!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:27 PM   #850
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Alfisti beautiful place sir and well done on the reno. Looks amazing!
Thanks man, it looks a bit better than i showed as they were "move in" pictures, we have added some rugs, some art etc to break up the monotone look.

This piece (the original) sits in the dining room, REALLY smartens it up big time. Artist is Croatian (as is my wife) so it gives us something to unify the families so to speak.

Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      07-14-2020, 03:40 PM   #851
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks man, it looks a bit better than i showed as they were "move in" pictures, we have added some rugs, some art etc to break up the monotone look.

This piece (the original) sits in the dining room, REALLY smartens it up big time. Artist is Croatian (as is my wife) so it gives us something to unify the families so to speak.

Very cool piece! Have always appreciated the architecture of the Sydney Opera House. I'd love to have more original art in my home, but I'm a damn cheapskate when it comes to stuff like this. Most of the art in my home was done by myself. I typically create pieces specific to the surface area that I want to cover. 90% of my wall art are black and white photos I took when I was into photography. The rest is all original Jody art from pen and ink to one off paintings.

Before I scrolled all the way down to reveal the entire photo, I thought, "Sweet! A water color of the Hall of Justice!"
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #852
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

ceiling is finally completed and all LED's installed! took me awhile with work and everything but happy with the way it turned out. love the industrial look

now working on one wall that was pretty beat up. all i did was add another sheet of drywall to fix what was there. once it's dry i'll need to sand down and than use the hopper to spray the texture. than it's on to painting the walls

~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 5
      07-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #853
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Very cool piece! Have always appreciated the architecture of the Sydney Opera House. I'd love to have more original art in my home, but I'm a damn cheapskate when it comes to stuff like this.
We were back home last xmas and walked past the Bilich gallery, this was out front and we both stopped to take a look. An hour later we are having lunch and wife says " I will give up my closet for the painting". I said fine, let's go get it. To her credit she stayed true to her word.

Tell you what is weird though, half the paintings in his gallery are nudes of his missus and she walks up to talk to you ......... it's like ...ummmmmmmmmm.
Appreciate 2
upstatedoc7555.50
King Rudi13152.00
      07-14-2020, 09:17 PM   #854
roadsidegeek
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 3 Series 335i Sedan R

I really like what you've done to that ceiling. Great work.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2020, 05:59 AM   #855
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Made a fence
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
      07-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #856
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
We were back home last xmas and walked past the Bilich gallery, this was out front and we both stopped to take a look. An hour later we are having lunch and wife says " I will give up my closet for the painting". I said fine, let's go get it. To her credit she stayed true to her word.

Tell you what is weird though, half the paintings in his gallery are nudes of his missus and she walks up to talk to you ......... it's like ...ummmmmmmmmm.
Oh wow! Yeah, I bet that is slightly uncomfortable for everyone but her.....and him.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 08:23 AM   #857
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
Made a fence
What town is that?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #858
Ickdeep
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 M5 | '15 F15 X5

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
2013 BMW M5 [SOLD]  [10.00]
2013 BMW 535i [SOLD]  [10.00]
Finally got around to paint the garage. I just went with 2 coats of paint/primer to the unfinished garage walls. Behind the furnace and water heater was a pain. Also the ceiling really wasn't fun. Looking into garage flooring/ epoxy next.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3