BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

07-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #1
BVB09
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 750i 2017 X5 2015 S5 conv

Road Trip

Just returned from our cross country road trip Chicago - San Diego and back in our '20 750i. Long story but this was supposed to be our European Delivery in March, needless to say that did not work out and the vehicle was delivered to the local dealer in April.
Just some observations about the car - almost all positive. The engine is noticeably more powerful than my '17 750 was, especially going up the mountains in CO. While I was contemplating looking at the Alpina I frankly don't see the need for more power after this trip. It is smooth and absorbs all bumps nicely. The interior was simply perfect for a long road trip with 3 of us + dog in the car for 8 or 9 hours / day. The back seat luxury seating package paid for itself on this 4,200 mile trip, we were actually fighting to sit in the back! Mileage was good - for the entire trip a little over 25 mpg (actual measurement, not onboard computer) - my '17 would run slightly more efficient on the highway, maybe another mpg.
Here are gripes - road noise was noticeable (yes, I know, RFTs); air condition was fine but could be stronger; and the front grill is a magnet for insects and extremely challenging to clean.
All in all a wonderful experience - while it did not match up to running down the Autobahn, we did hit triple digit speed in Utah for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 08:12 PM   #2
Aussie_7er
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 740i G11

I didn’t think about the grille size and bugs. Must be like huge nostrils sucking them all in! Interesting on the road noise, I heard that the LCI had more sound proofing put into it. I was just on another thread talking about changing to non-run flats.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
BVB09
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 750i 2017 X5 2015 S5 conv

interesting; certainly more noise than I ever noticed in my old 7 series, both have the Pirelli run flats. Since it is a lease I will plan to keep them and just turn up the radio....
Appreciate 0