BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Site Related Announcements - Suggestions - Feedback - Questions

Today, 02:21 AM   #1
hennyflips
Registered
Rep
Drives: chevrolet silverado, bmw f30

Post I got a CLEAN f30 328i with a blown engine for $200

I work at the front desk at an auto shop and an MLB player borught in a 2013 bmw 328i SULEV (its a super clean m sport, red seats, heads up display 140k miles)
he stated he let his sister drive the car for 3 months, and got it back with an engine noise we diagnosed as low compression on cyl 2. it is at 100 psi. Instead of paying for the repairs, he dropped off the title to be done with it. So I paid for the diagnostic and he gave me the title. He said it was less of a headache selling it as is.

I am wondering what the best option here is. I like the car and could use a daily, but at the same time, I could make a lot of money off this thing that I could use to pay off student loans and stuff.

before I go into engine swap ideas, I am also wondering if maybe this issue is fixable? It sounds horrible like inconsistent rod knock/rod bearing failure klunking from what sounds like the bottom end.

Option A: Post the car as is for $_____?

Option B: Do the repair myself. Pull out the bad N20 and swap in one with 1 year warranty. I found one for $2000
I see on ALLdata that the job calls for 20 hours, I have done a ton of repairs, but this may be too much for me. I am not a mechanic at the shop.

Option C: Pay $2000 for the engine and $2000 for the labor, then sell the car as is with a full engine warranty for like $9000.

Option D: Engine swap it with something cool. I have seen people put chevy 6.0 truck motors, sourced for like $2-4k with transmission.

N55? $2500 apparently just bolts right in.

b58? I havent seen anyone do this, but they did come as an option in the 340's and stuff right?

n20? putting the original motor back in would be the smoothest and cheapest option for sure, but I know these have a lot of issues and arent that fast.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:10 AM   #2
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Pay for a good used engine to be installed, clean and detail the hell out of it and sell it as a MLB player owned car, that will be the smallest outlay for the greatest return.
      Today, 06:09 AM   #3
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Probably get more answers in the appropriate topic section for the F30, and not here in the web site support section.....