BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

09-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #1
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Seat comfort

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I might have the most sensitive Ass or back out there or am I loosing it. I have a 750 with the comfort/massage function and when I bought the car I assumed it will be the most comfortable seat I ever owned. I feel horrible after even short rides and my ass goes numb after a long one. I tried every configuration and I asked the dealer to figure out if there was a problem. Now I also drive a Z4 and a 328 so I didn't come from a Bentley or a Rolls Royce.

Anyone else think that's an issue!!! I drove a loaner without the massage function and the seats were comfortable. I am Not sure if the padding is removed with the massage for the bottom part of the seat. Now I am seriously looking to buy a seat cushion for my 750 and my brain is not willing to do that yet as it makes no sense!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Master View Post
I might have the most sensitive Ass or back out there or am I loosing it. I have a 750 with the comfort/massage function and when I bought the car I assumed it will be the most comfortable seat I ever owned. I feel horrible after even short rides and my ass goes numb after a long one. I tried every configuration and I asked the dealer to figure out if there was a problem. Now I also drive a Z4 and a 328 so I didn't come from a Bentley or a Rolls Royce.

Anyone else think that's an issue!!! I drove a loaner without the massage function and the seats were comfortable. I am Not sure if the padding is removed with the massage for the bottom part of the seat. Now I am seriously looking to buy a seat cushion for my 750 and my brain is not willing to do that yet as it makes no sense!!!!
No issues here. For me, the seats are the best I've had. For you, apparently, not so.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:10 PM   #3
jettie1767
Captain
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i7 xdrive60

Garage List
I have no issues with the seats on my B7 with the massage function. In fact, it's a lot more comfortable than the seats I've had on my M4, M6 and X6M.
      09-18-2018, 11:35 AM   #4
Bespoke 2014
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i

Yeah same here I have 0 issues with my seats at all. Only complaint I do feel the AC fan is somewhat weak that’s my only complaint. Keep adjusting and find what’s comfortable and save the setting.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
MELLOWYELLOW06
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 & 2022 X& M50i

Love my car but I was expecting a bit more comfort out of the seats.

My S550 I just traded in for the 750, the seats were definitely more comfortable. But again, that all depends on the person and comfort levels vary for each individual.
      09-18-2018, 11:19 PM   #6
RDG80M3X
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 G80X

I have the opposite opinion - These are some of the most comfortable seats I've ever experienced. 0 fatigue and soreness after 4 hour road trip. I'd go on to say that it slightly edges past the seats on the w222 S class IMO. 750 here with nappa multicontour seats w/massage function.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

Add me to the list of people who think they are the most comfortable seats they have sat on.

What exactly is the issue? Could it be a fault with one of the massage elements?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 06:57 AM   #8
Gamoto
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M6 Convertible 2018 750ix

Quote:

I just got my 750 with the same seats and I have the same issue. It seams like the seat needs more cushioning. I just drove 30 minutes and my butt got sore and numb. Not comfortable at all. Like you I just assumed the seats would be amazingly comfortable. It seams like after running the message function there are lumps. I'm very disappointed.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 12:23 AM   #9
RDG80M3X
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 G80X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamoto View Post
Quote:

I just got my 750 with the same seats and I have the same issue. It seams like the seat needs more cushioning. I just drove 30 minutes and my butt got sore and numb. Not comfortable at all. Like you I just assumed the seats would be amazingly comfortable. It seams like after running the message function there are lumps. I'm very disappointed.
There's definitely something wrong if the "lumps" aren't retracting after turning the massage function off. The cushion should be returning to its normal "soft" position with no lumps after massage function is disengaged. I'd bring it into the dealer to get it checked out if I were you.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #10
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggwoll View Post
Quote:
Quote:

There's definitely something wrong if the "lumps" aren't retracting after turning the massage function off. The cushion should be returning to its normal "soft" position with no lumps after massage function is disengaged. I'd bring it into the dealer to get it checked out if I were you.
It's at the dealer now I wonder if there is an issue with the Valve system that direct air into different air bags in the seats that is preventing them to fully deflate when the massage function is off. I will update when I get it back
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2018, 09:30 PM   #11
Drift Master
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Update the dealer fixed what seem to be a valve issue and now my butt can Finally enjoy the seat glad I was able to get it fixed
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2018, 08:16 AM   #12
Jit_340i
South Africa
Rep
Drives: Glacier Silver F30 335i

I have the same issue and I don't have the massage seats. The seat is comfortable, except it causes severe leg pain and numbness. Did you find a solution. Can the dealer adjust the foam on the seat?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #13
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Another one that finds the seats very comfortable. (massage and lumbar support fitted). I think it may be a couple of factors?

-seat position (I definitely had to play with it for a long time to get it right, I sit up quite high and as far back as possible, with the leg extensions out but not too far as that cuts off circulation). Seat back position is fairly upright or even tilted forward...

-to ask the obvious question...those of you with problems, you do take your wallet out when driving don't you? That is found to be the single biggest issue with posture and comfort when seated in all situations...put your wallet in the car door or middle compartment and you should find a very big increase in comfort as your spine and back are balanced then!

Hope this helps! Safe travels.
      11-08-2018, 12:21 PM   #14
Jencathen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 750Li xDrive

I am also having issues with seat comfort, but only on the front passenger side. I do not have the massage package. The seat cushion on the bottom feels hard compared to the driver side. I'm about to take a long road trip and my husband does most of the driving and I'm wondering if this is something that can be fixed at the dealership or just suck it up and buy a cushion.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #15
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Hi Jencathen, welcome to the forum and to the 7 series, hope you can find a solution to the seat issue and we hope you continue to read and contribute where you can!

Do you by chance have the exec lounge feature (or whatever it is called where you may be? the ability to put your feet up on the seat back of the front passenger seat? If so, I wonder if they have reduced the amount of padding or comfort to leave room for the electronics to allow that foot rest to fold down...)

If you do have that feature, have you tried sitting in the back and therefore enjoying the massage and comfort that package allows? I appreciate that it is not great when you may just be a couple and want to sit together in the front but given the lack of massage in that passenger seat and potentially the difference in the padding, you may simply have to sit in back to get the features that the car offers?

Hope that helps? (or get a comfy cushion as you also suggested!)

Safe travels.
      11-10-2018, 07:51 AM   #16
Natlguy
Rep
Drives: 16 750i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bespoke 2014 View Post
Yeah same here I have 0 issues with my seats at all. Only complaint I do feel the AC fan is somewhat weak that’s my only complaint. Keep adjusting and find what’s comfortable and save the setting.
Agreed. Very comfortable. Seat ventilation is a joke though. Living in Atlanta it has 0 effect on even warmish days.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 02:33 PM   #17
Jencathen
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 750Li xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Hi Jencathen, welcome to the forum and to the 7 series, hope you can find a solution to the seat issue and we hope you continue to read and contribute where you can!

Do you by chance have the exec lounge feature (or whatever it is called where you may be? the ability to put your feet up on the seat back of the front passenger seat? If so, I wonder if they have reduced the amount of padding or comfort to leave room for the electronics to allow that foot rest to fold down...)

If you do have that feature, have you tried sitting in the back and therefore enjoying the massage and comfort that package allows? I appreciate that it is not great when you may just be a couple and want to sit together in the front but given the lack of massage in that passenger seat and potentially the difference in the padding, you may simply have to sit in back to get the features that the car offers?

Hope that helps? (or get a comfy cushion as you also suggested!)

Safe travels.
Thanks for the reply Pelo. I do not have the massage and comfort package. I made an appointment at the dealership to look at the air bladder level. It sounds like it is an easy fix. In the meantime, I have a cushion for the long drive that I am taking since my appointment is not until December.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #18
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I've just picked up a 740d xdrive G11 and whilst the seats are comfortable the drivers seat base is too soft for me, it's my 11th BMW and I've had just about all the differing seats including the comfort seats in the F10 5 series and I've never felt such a soft seat base that crushes under your weight, BMWs are usually firm which I like.

The car is a used one so maybe the last owner was a bit on the heavy side (or very heavy), but I'm thinking of having a new seat base cushion fitted by the dealer I managed to find the part code they are around £300 for the part.
      12-12-2018, 12:19 PM   #19
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

Hi,

I have same car, and find the seats supremely comfortable, not too soft, or too hard, which was a complaint I had with my prior Audi. I am the first driver in mine, so no prior heavyweight occupant.

Before you spend your hard earned, might be worth test driving a new one to see if the seats are any different, as if not, you will have wasted £300 and still be in need of a solution.
      12-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #20
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr View Post
Hi,

I have same car, and find the seats supremely comfortable, not too soft, or too hard, which was a complaint I had with my prior Audi. I am the first driver in mine, so no prior heavyweight occupant.

Before you spend your hard earned, might be worth test driving a new one to see if the seats are any different, as if not, you will have wasted £300 and still be in need of a solution.
I sat in a new one at the dealers yesterday to test that out and yes they are firmer, I think I had a big guy as the first owner of my car, the rear comfort seats are perfectly firm in that BMW way it's just the drivers seat especially the side bolsters of the base.
      12-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #21
Stan RUDMAN
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 760ix

Garage List
2023 760i  [0.00]
I have a 2016 750i with only 19k miles, and i have noticed the driver seat cushion is not as plush as it was when i first got the car. I agree something is wrong
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 03:00 PM   #22
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan RUDMAN View Post
I have a 2016 750i with only 19k miles, and i have noticed the driver seat cushion is not as plush as it was when i first got the car. I agree something is wrong
Yeah it's like it has gone on the base which is strange as my previous F80 m3 felt just like the day I picked it up on zero miles after 90,000 miles.