BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #1
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Found & Installed the Perfect 2-Post Lift in my Home Garage!

As I continue to work on my BMWs, I find myself constantly adding things to the garage to optimize my work space. Since buying the house four years ago, I transformed the 750 sq/ft garage into my ultimate hangout space. In my mind, the only thing missing was a lift. Until I found out about the MaxJax lift system. I have no affiliation with MaxJax, but everything about this lift as been great so far and I want to share my experience.

I had a tough time finding a 2-post lift that would fit in my garage with 8 ft. 7 in. (105″) garage ceilings. All of the 2-post options I found had a minimum column height of 9 ft. or 10 ft., which wouldn’t fit without modifying the ceiling. I didn’t want a scissor lift or a 4-post lift. Then I found the the MaxJax, which has short, portable columns.

In its highest position, the hydraulic cylinders rise up to 89″ with a lift height of 45″ (or 48″ with 3″ adapters)! This allows plenty of clearance between the columns and the ceiling, while offering 4 ft. of working space under the car. The only limitation is the height of whatever vehicle goes on the lift.

I also have a more detailed write-up on my blog that explains the most efficient installation process, with links to all of the tools and accessories that you'll need. Read it here: https://my1series.com/2019/06/13/how...e-review-mods/

Standard MaxJax Features
  • Low ceiling height friendly
  • Regular 110v electrical plug (no 220v required)
  • 6,000 lb. lifting capacity
  • Semi-portable lift columns
  • Adjustable base-plate width
  • 4″ minimum concrete required

Installation Guide & Video

The included installation guide is pretty comprehensive, but I made an in-depth video showing you how to install the lift in your home garage. I also demonstrate how to route the hoses off the ground to keep the mobile power cart out of the way.

4″ of good concrete is required to install this lift. I used the standard anchors that are included with the kit, but some people prefer the epoxy anchors instead. I mounted the columns 125″ apart from each other, measured from the inside edge. This width has allowed me to lift multiple vehicles with various jacking points.

This adjustable creeper is perfect for working under the MaxJax, since it doesn’t lift high enough for you to stand under it. This short oil drain tank comes in very handy when changing oil or other fluids. I’ve used these short tripod stands when doing suspension work or to help support the car. It is the perfect lift for the at-home DIYer.

I would love to hear your thoughts and comments!
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 6
3798j11170.00
Nkc1600.50
msan402.50
      06-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
Thunderguts
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Great write-up.

I'm trying to justify the price of a lift to myself (and the wife). I have a high-lift jack that will do 24" of lift. I can drop a differential by putting the car on 12" risers or tall jack stands. I don't know if I could fully drop the transmission or not, but I think I could.

My main issue is a very narrow garage that would require me to move the posts when not in use. I'm guessing it would take nearly an hour to set it up and bolt everything down once I had it installed. I just wonder how often I'm going to want to do that. If I could leave it in place, it would be a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #3
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

NICE GARAGE!

looks like it allows a good amount of space underneath the car to work. To me anything is better than laying on your back straining your neck to work on a car!
      06-14-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Great write-up.

I'm trying to justify the price of a lift to myself (and the wife). I have a high-lift jack that will do 24" of lift. I can drop a differential by putting the car on 12" risers or tall jack stands. I don't know if I could fully drop the transmission or not, but I think I could.

My main issue is a very narrow garage that would require me to move the posts when not in use. I'm guessing it would take nearly an hour to set it up and bolt everything down once I had it installed. I just wonder how often I'm going to want to do that. If I could leave it in place, it would be a no-brainer.
Nice! Having a 24" lift jack is better than nothing.

I was also concerned about how much area it would take up because I have a 2 car garage, and still want to use the other stall. With the 90* fittings installed at the base of the posts and a narrow install, you'll be fine. But if you want to take them down and store them away everytime, it should only take 15 minutes to roll them out, tighten 5 bolts each, and slide on the quick-disconnect fittings. The most time consuming part of it was assembling everything, drilling the holes and setting the anchors. After that, it goes really fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
NICE GARAGE!

looks like it allows a good amount of space underneath the car to work. To me anything is better than laying on your back straining your neck to work on a car!
Thanks! And that's exactly my thoughts. Some people online say it must suck because you can't stand. But honestly, the rolling sitting creeper is great and anything is better than getting on my knees, jacking it up, and then rolling around. I love it so far!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
rice_rocket88
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E60 F48 F39

That looks awesome.. as does your ceiling! I had this in mind when I first moved into the new house, but was lucky enough to talk to the builder and found out that at BEST there was 4" of concrete under there, but most likely somewhere around 3 ish. I know there have been some debates about other ways to get it done right, but I honestly just didn't want to A) take the risk B) use the alternative methods and definitely not C) jackhammer and fill more.

I ended up with the quickjack which gets you pretty good height, and I can push them together and just drive over them during 99% of the time that they aren't in use which might work for thunderguts. The quickjack I think on some sale was literally like 1K for me.. which I just justified in my mind that my biggest jack was failing/leaking.. and some of the cars didn't have great lift points so I had to jack up each corner to put on jack stands. Either way it was a good splurge that has paid off multiple times. Heck, I get free beers/lunch/gifts for friends and family that use it to change winter tires over to summer and vice versa !
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #6
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_rocket88 View Post
That looks awesome.. as does your ceiling! I had this in mind when I first moved into the new house, but was lucky enough to talk to the builder and found out that at BEST there was 4" of concrete under there, but most likely somewhere around 3 ish. I know there have been some debates about other ways to get it done right, but I honestly just didn't want to A) take the risk B) use the alternative methods and definitely not C) jackhammer and fill more.

I ended up with the quickjack which gets you pretty good height, and I can push them together and just drive over them during 99% of the time that they aren't in use which might work for thunderguts. The quickjack I think on some sale was literally like 1K for me.. which I just justified in my mind that my biggest jack was failing/leaking.. and some of the cars didn't have great lift points so I had to jack up each corner to put on jack stands. Either way it was a good splurge that has paid off multiple times. Heck, I get free beers/lunch/gifts for friends and family that use it to change winter tires over to summer and vice versa !
For sure! Totally understandable. I debated those, but didn't want to spend the cash unless I got significant lifting room (not be on my back). I pulled the trigger on the MaxJax when it was on sale for $1675 shipped with residential delivery, liftgate, and tax included. I didn't measure my concrete beforehand, just prayed when I drilled my first hole that it'd be deep enough.

I look forward to family and friends pestering me to use it, which I think will be okay as long as they bring beer
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:43 PM   #7
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Good write up! Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2019, 12:54 AM   #8
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

tell me about that adjustable creeper.
      06-17-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
tell me about that adjustable creeper.
I love this thing already: https://amzn.to/2Wxwump

The butt and back cushion are both adjustable. Many different locking positions for both, depending on how much angle you want. Very sturdy piece, rolls very nicely too. Extremely happy with the purchase.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      06-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #10
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

That looks like a legit shop garage! Jealous!

Appreciate 1
      06-17-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Pretty sick garage! Wouldn't trade my lift in the garage for anything.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh16946.00
      06-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Putting in more concrete in the case of a thin floor is no big deal. Saw cut a pad big enough for a sonotube then electric jackhammer the small amount of concrete to be removed. Dig as deep as you like, insert sonotube, pour, insert anchor, allow to cure, and Bob’s your uncle.

4 hours of work not including concrete cure time.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      06-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #13
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
That looks like a legit shop garage! Jealous!
Thanks man! I can't take all of the credit because the previous owner did a lot. But I put my own touch on it and love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Pretty sick garage! Wouldn't trade my lift in the garage for anything.
I can already see myself never not having a lift again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Putting in more concrete in the case of a thin floor is no big deal. Saw cut a pad big enough for a sonotube then electric jackhammer the small amount of concrete to be removed. Dig as deep as you like, insert sonotube, pour, insert anchor, allow to cure, and Bob’s your uncle.

4 hours of work not including concrete cure time.
You make it sound so easy! It does boil down to just about that though, doesn't it...
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #14
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Thanks for taking the time to make this write-up
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #15
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Great write-up.

That's the easy part, just explain to her the money you'll save her fixing her car.

But seriously, I've estimated I've saved $18,000 on labor costs by DIY'ing JUST on my E90 alone. Regarding my wife's approval of a lift, I've kept her 22 year old Z3 (now approaching 190,000 miles) on the road far longer than it would be economically prudent to do so without DIY'ing it. I built an entire building to house my lift, which required leveling part of the mountain our house is situated on. Her only requirement was getting a ALI-certified American-made lift; she didn't want a car falling on me (not sure why, I have a good life insurance policy...)
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-21-2019 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 1
tdott3930.50
      06-21-2019, 08:43 AM   #16
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Congrats, I love what you've done with your garage! I would totally rock your garage setup if I had the space---quickjack is pretty much as wild as I can go at my current house.
Appreciate 0