BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #67
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

lights look lovely
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #68
Srod428
Rep
Drives: Black with tan interior

Its going to be really hard to beat the s class
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #69
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

It's hard to say what the target group of the new 7er is. The design language is familiar, the car looks sportier and more streamlined and it will appeal to a younger clientele compared to the S-Class. The question is, is the 7er an S-Class competitor anymore?

It looks to me the answer is no. If rumours for a 9-Series uber luxury (based on the VFL)saloon are true then this might be the real S-Class competitor, henceforth the 7er will occupy a segment between say the 5-Series and the S-Class. More luxurious than the 5er less so than the S-Class.

It looks like it's really not designed as an S-Class competitor. The S oozes luxury, class, comfort and status, this just looks like a big sedan.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #70
335ddd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
mercedes to me has always been for italians with gaudy gold jewelry that run a tailor or restaurant/club (not that there is anything wrong with it). bmw and audi are for the tech, modern business professionals. sometimes the word luxury can mean different things. for mercedes its gaudy wood and chrome. for bmw/audi, its tech, drive, fit and finish.
And your gold winter wheels are a tribute I suppose
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 09:13 PM   #71
335ddd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
It's hard to say what the target group of the new 7er is. The design language is familiar, the car looks sportier and more streamlined and it will appeal to a younger clientele compared to the S-Class. The question is, is the 7er an S-Class competitor anymore?

It looks to me the answer is no. If rumours for a 9-Series uber luxury (based on the VFL)saloon are true then this might be the real S-Class competitor, henceforth the 7er will occupy a segment between say the 5-Series and the S-Class. More luxurious than the 5er less so than the S-Class.

It looks like it's really not designed as an S-Class competitor. The S oozes luxury, class, comfort and status, this just looks like a big sedan.
Great point
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #72
kv12
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 540i E39, X2 F39, 330 G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post

That's true, the Wraith Based 8-Series and the Phantom based 9-Series will be more of what the VFL is trying to convey.

However my thought is that the G11 7 Series in it's testing stage is missing many bits of it's garnish which makes it a BMW 7 Series. When those bits of garnish the car will look a lot more luxurious. Not sure how it will compare to the S-Class but lets give it the benefit of the doubt it will be a good one!

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 05:10 AM   #73
Jai 302
Banned
Rep
Drives: F13 640i

Looks a lot better than the S-class.

To the geniuses suggesting a 9 series is required to compete with the S-class, I suppose the same geniuses will say we'll need an 11-series to compete with the next-gen S-class. What rubbish.

The new 7 series will be BETTER than the S-class for anyone under the age of 55 IMO. I'm 21. All the haters can eat their words once the car debuts and beats the S-class where it matters most to BMW - dynamics.

Last edited by Jai 302; 12-05-2014 at 05:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 05:48 AM   #74
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai 302
Looks a lot better than the S-class.

To the geniuses suggesting a 9 series is required to compete with the S-class, I suppose the same geniuses will say we'll need an 11-series to compete with the next-gen S-class. What rubbish.

The new 7 series will be BETTER than the S-class for anyone under the age of 55 IMO. I'm 21. All the haters can eat their words once the car debuts and beats the S-class where it matters most to BMW - dynamics.
Lol pretty confident aren't you about it beating the S class. I'm sorry but nobody will be "eating their words." The people that shop for an S class usually don't care about dynamics or performance, the ones that do get a S63 or S65, which are just in another league. They care about pure luxury and technology no other car has and to make a statement. And trust me, bmw doesn't care about dynamics, they care about making a profit and the S Class has consistently beaten the 7 Series in sales every month and year. You're 21 so you're still pretty young but majority of people under 55 that want a luxury car in this category get an S class, not a 7 series.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #75
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

Nice

Definitely a good looking car. The last 2 generations we a disaster in the front end looks.
      12-05-2014, 09:45 AM   #76
HD81
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' F30 335xi EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev ///Me View Post
I really like the rear end of that render. Front end? No.
+1

I agree with you. I'm not a big fan of the 7-series but to date, the E65/E66/E67/E68 models were the best looking 7ers IMO. They had the nicest looking front fascias - especially the 2006 model year.

I'm more of a 3-series kinda guy and currently own an E92 and I'm just really disappointed with the way BMW has gone in terms of design because the front fascias of every BMW from model year 2012 (except E92) and up has become this ugly looking flat bumper which takes away the sleek profile of the E9x platforms and e60 (2004-2010 5-series). BLEH!!
12' E92 335xi - traded 10/16
15' F30 335xi - current
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2014, 09:56 AM   #77
F82FTW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17' M3 ZCP, 88' M5 Blk/Blk US

Anyone else notice the black one has no visible moonroof?

Obviously a 7 cannot be had without one...maybe the whole roof is panoramic? Solar?
F80 M3 ZCP - Current...E28 M5 1/30 Blk/Blk US Spec - Current...17' 911 - SOLD...E90 M3 - Sold...F82 M4 - SOLD...F02 750Li - SOLD...Austin MINI - SOLD...E82 135is - SOLD...E89 Z4 - SOLD...F10 535i - SOLD...E30 325is - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #78
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

We are thinking about the leap to the exclusive side of the high end luxury market because it is completely logical for BMW to enter.
As customers have told us they want further exclusivity but also want BMW dynamics in a typical sporting BMW outline.

The good reference point we have now is that with the Maybach launched our feedback indicates that it is a vehicle intended to be chauffeur driven rather than someone who will drive themselves. An owner would be mistaken for a chauffeur. And customers for the BMW do not want that.

The Vision Future Luxury offers the potential for the owner to be driven and drive themselves.
Attached Images

12-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #79
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ddd View Post
And your gold winter wheels are a tribute I suppose
i suppose. i had never used plasti dip and felt like trying it and instead of being boring i went with their true metallic and metal flake kit. i gotta say, the results turned out better than expected. most people consider it subaru gold, not gaudy gold though because its not a polished gold but more of a metallic semi-flat.
      12-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #80
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

S600 Maybach looks almost like an S350.
On the other hand, the launch of a 9 series model seems a better strategy for this market
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 05:37 PM   #81
Faust
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Vauxhall Calibra, M3 (E46)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
We are thinking about the leap to the exclusive side of the high end luxury market because it is completely logical for BMW to enter.
As customers have told us they want further exclusivity but also want BMW dynamics in a typical sporting BMW outline.
Does that mean the 9er is coming? And with it hopefully a new 8er coupe plus cabrio and Gran Coupe iterations?

I definitely look forward to it (together with the M supercar like almost everyone here).
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 04:35 AM   #82
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Call me crazy but the front looks like an e90 sedan and the rear is Bangle-ish. I love it!!!!
      12-06-2014, 11:05 AM   #83
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust
Quote:
Does that mean the 9er is coming? And with it hopefully a new 8er coupe plus cabrio and Gran Coupe iterations?

I definitely look forward to it (together with the M supercar like almost everyone here).
+1

All of that and I'd go so far as to say I'd like to see a range of M branded supercars without the BMW badges on them; really separate it out, really put M into a separate BMW group brand (we all know Mini and Rolls Royce are BMW but there are no badges).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #84
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

I just posted the list of new for G11/12 options in my main thread, copying it here:

- LED lights standard with laser optional
- B&W audio
- Advanced parking assist
- Most optional wheel styles will be bi-color
- Wifi hotspot
- i8 style display keyfob
- selective headlight beam (I'm sure everyone expected that)
- active steering still there for the clueless
- new climate related options: "heating comfort" and "ambient air" packages
- automatic parking with remote control
- touchscreen (confirming what was suggested by the recent spyshots)
- new drive assist is called "active comfort drive"
- gesture control (feel free to guess what this one might do)
- rear passenger oriented options will provide heated/massaged/ventilated lounge chairs and online entertainment
- wireless charging for phones
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #85
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Haha, won't be able to charge your iPhone with wireless charging. BMW better make new iDrive Windows Lumia compatible.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #86
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I just posted the list of new for G11/12 options in my main thread, copying it here:

- LED lights standard with laser optional
- B&W audio
- Advanced parking assist
- Most optional wheel styles will be bi-color
- Wifi hotspot
- i8 style display keyfob
- selective headlight beam (I'm sure everyone expected that)
- active steering still there for the clueless
- new climate related options: "heating comfort" and "ambient air" packages
- automatic parking with remote control
- touchscreen (confirming what was suggested by the recent spyshots)
- new drive assist is called "active comfort drive"
- gesture control (feel free to guess what this one might do)
- rear passenger oriented options will provide heated/massaged/ventilated lounge chairs and online entertainment
- wireless charging for phones
I would only like to realise the i8 Key Fob, if it would charge wirelessly inside your car, I wouldn't say charging your key with a color display everynight is "luxurious". However, finally some good looking rear entertainment and comfort I hope, it should be at least very close to the S-Class, but better than the A8 in the rear passenger department.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2014, 12:15 PM   #87
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
I would only like to realise the i8 Key Fob, if it would charge wirelessly inside your car, I wouldn't say charging your key with a color display everynight is "luxurious". However, finally some good looking rear entertainment and comfort I hope, it should be at least very close to the S-Class, but better than the A8 in the rear passenger department.

I'm fine with it..........as long as I am not required to insert the 'Display Key' in the in-dash fob slot in order to start the vehicle. That would be a step back from the current set-up for BMW push button start vehicles (wherein you can just push the button to on/off the vehicle as long as the car detects the remote wireless key).
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2014, 07:56 AM   #88
Jai 302
Banned
Rep
Drives: F13 640i

Quote:

The good reference point we have now is that with the Maybach launched our feedback indicates that it is a vehicle intended to be chauffeur driven rather than someone who will drive themselves. An owner would be mistaken for a chauffeur. And customers for the BMW do not want that.

The Vision Future Luxury offers the potential for the owner to be driven and drive themselves.
This car looks phenomenal. Totally smokes the S600 Maybach and Flying Spur in terms of looks. There's plenty of room in the BMW lineup for a 9er between the G11 760i/M770i and Rolls Royce Ghost.
Appreciate 0