BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-06-2018, 02:09 AM   #1
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Eco Pro mode

Do you use it? Have you tried it?

I have to admit I hadn't until recently but after reading about FastLaneJB trying it out, thought I should give it a try...well, I am now a believer (and also use adaptive more too)...so this gansta princess is becoming an eco warrior!

From a full tank, I had driven roughly 220 miles in adaptive mode (motorway) but shall we say 'sporty' and therefore not the best fuel economy to Heathrow and back and then finally tried eco pro, using adaptive cruise and strictly to speed limits (painful as that was) as they were displayed in the cockpit displays for a further 250 miles of mixed roads (130 motorway, rest mix of urban and cross country roads). display showed maximum benefit for fuel economy and with 470 miles driven, the fuel tank was still showing 380 miles potential (and this with the mixed urban and cross country driving at the end, not motorway) I fuelled up and there was still 37 l of fuel in the tank...so would have potentially done over 800 miles on a tank in theory with real world mixed driving, which is easily over 100 miles more than I was getting in comfort plus on a tank at the best of times doing motorway only.

So, have just fuelled up and will try to do a full tank on eco pro and see what kind of mileage I get...

It's definitely different to the other modes and I like the fact that it coasts (so allows more movement of speed over rolling terrain than 'normal' cruise allows on our 7's which are quite strict in following the speed limit regardless of how steep a hill is (up or down)...which does mean that you speed up on downhills and slow down slightly on uphills before it kicks in mildly again and reflects most other road users mentality (without having to increase the distance between vehicles so more natural and easier in traffic flow with lorries and such)...

I also have started to see the benefit of adaptive mode in terms of fuel economy as well over comfort plus although both are not a patch on comfort plus for 'arse comfort' over UK roads...

I do like the blue lights in the dash as well as part of eco pro...

Anyway, just some ramblings from trying this mode out which I had written off personally until I read about the coasting bit and thought it was worth a try...so hope this makes others try it (for the fun of it more than saving a few pence) and curious to hear your thoughts and experiences with eco pro?

Picture for (well, the hell of it really!)

Safe travels.
Attached Images

06-08-2018, 12:32 PM   #2
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Beautiful car!

I believe Eco Pro mode makes the most sense in stop and go gridlock traffic. Otherwise, I find throttle response to be rather lethargic.

I do like however, that the individual settings allow selection of sport steering when in Eco mode.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

I only use it when cruise control is on through the roadworks, I don’t like the throttle response when driving normally. I do like the way it will allow the speed to go slightly higher/lower to maximise the opportunity to coast. I couldn’t use it for a whole tank though!

I drove 140 miles from Northamptonshire to Warrington yesterday, used eco pro in the roadworks (which felt like most of the M6!) and did a frankly astonishing 42.2mpg.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Beautiful car!

I believe Eco Pro mode makes the most sense in stop and go gridlock traffic. Otherwise, I find throttle response to be rather lethargic.

I do like however, that the individual settings allow selection of sport steering when in Eco mode.
Thanks!

Agree about throttle response, as it is trying to sip fuel it is very light on throttle and movement so can be trying at times for sure. Agree about slow traffic though it can be very good there to offset any fuel consumption and not be to sluggish compared to other traffic.

Haven't tried configuring it yet, may have to do that to see how that improves it for me.

Thanks for the response, safe travels.
      06-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #5
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2C View Post
I only use it when cruise control is on through the roadworks, I don’t like the throttle response when driving normally. I do like the way it will allow the speed to go slightly higher/lower to maximise the opportunity to coast. I couldn’t use it for a whole tank though!

I drove 140 miles from Northamptonshire to Warrington yesterday, used eco pro in the roadworks (which felt like most of the M6!) and did a frankly astonishing 42.2mpg.
thanks for the comments, agree about it being well suited for the long road works with average speed cameras. I guess to a large degree I am lucky that I mostly travel motorway and quite early / quite late so less traffic and less 'rush' from other road users so eco pro works for me then. Agree about throttle response, especially at roundabouts, I tend to put it into another mode for those in traffic but otherwise have started to get on with it. (we'll see if I indeed manage a whole tank in eco pro...I'll take it as a challenge and report back! )

The mileage does definitely improve dramatically using it though, as well as adaptive which I think may also help over other modes but not as much as eco pro.

Thanks for the comments, safe travels. Nice model btw.
      06-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #6
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Thanks for the comments, safe travels. Nice model btw.
Thank you!

As I’ve got Executive Drive Pro, I leave it in Adaptive most of the time as it knows exactly how soft/firm the dampers and anti roll bars need to be. Sport Individual is the second most used (everything in sport other than the gearbox), only because the valves in the exhaust are open at lower revs!

Slightly off topic, but I’m pretty sure that when the camera sees a speed bump, it not only softens off the suspension, it raises the ride height. To check, I stopped just before one in the car park and switched from Adaptive to comfort and the suspension lowered.

Enjoy the challenge!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
cj723
Rep
Drives: ig: that7series

I use it all the time now, since I usually drive like an old man now anyway. I like that it tells you how much range you’ve “added” and the coasting feature is my favorie part. I agree with the throttle response. I switch it to sport because it really doesn’t allow for any acceleration whatsoever.

I like using it on the freeway (even during rush hour traffic), but I noticed its not very comfortable in the afternoon on streets with traffic lights because the air conditioning just turns to ventilation and it gets warm retty easily.

Can anyone tell me more about Adaptive mode please? I’ve had my car for a month now and literally just found out about that mode earlier today when I accidentally pushed that button (not even knowing that was a button until I blindly pushed it).
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2018, 06:26 AM   #8
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Hi cj723, welcome to the forum and especially to the 7 series subforums, lovely car you have there (from the post your best pic thread)

Thanks for the feedback on eco pro, agree with your comments, I do find it irritating that the engine cuts out at all the lights as you say so the A/C can only handle a few seconds (especially when on full whack) before it has to start the engine up again (or maybe it doesn't as you say in eco pro and just recirculates the air!)...we don't tend to get the really hot weather here in the UK so usually I can just have it on 20 C and middle level fan and that cools enough for me which means the eco pro doesn't come into issue then but might give it a try if it does get too hot and see if I can repeat what you are experiencing, good to know.

Regarding adaptive, it effectively is meant to 'learn' your driving style and adapt the car systems (steering, suspension, throttle, etc...) to your driving style for that condition (so maybe sporty on twisty roads, more mix of eco pro and comfort/plus on motorway)...I do notice it is better even on motorway for fuel economy than comfort or comfort plus but that is still subjective and not enough evidence to confirm it! Hope that helps. Maybe others can explain more or better than I have.

Safe travels, please do continue to contribute to the forum and post your experiences and thoughts, look forward to 'riding' along with you from time to time virtually!
      06-09-2018, 06:40 AM   #9
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Re Adaptive mode, it also uses the Sat Nav to choose the right steering/throttle/gearbox/suspension settings to be in. It can change any of them individually to suit the situation, using eco pro / comfort / sport which is probably why it’s better for mpg on the motorway
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 06:41 AM   #10
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Plus, if you have Executive Drive Pro, it also takes data from the camera.

Just found this which explains is quite clearly.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N91TWlhRPBk
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 06:56 AM   #11
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Yeah I think Eco Pro makes the most sense when you've got active cruise on as well. That way the throttle response isn't something that affects or bothers you.

How much coasting are you getting Pelo Cat over a certain distance? I've not had chance to do a large journey again to test it out on but it did amaze me just how much coasting it could pull off.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2018, 02:56 AM   #12
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Yeah I think Eco Pro makes the most sense when you've got active cruise on as well. That way the throttle response isn't something that affects or bothers you.

How much coasting are you getting Pelo Cat over a certain distance? I've not had chance to do a large journey again to test it out on but it did amaze me just how much coasting it could pull off.
I'll have to revise my previous comments about eco pro. Last week the traffic on the motorway and secondary roads I was using must have been exceptionally light which allowed me to use eco pro without issue. It does make a significant difference to fuel economy BUT I had to cancel my trial to use it for a whole tank of fuel as one quirk I really dislike about eco pro: if you use ACC and eco pro, the car will start to slow down (I'm not sure if it is coasting or actively braking) at the first sign of a vehicle in front on the ACC distance monitor (so 4 bars out) not what you may have set it to (I'm usually 2 bars at motorway speeds) which means that you are almost always going up or down like a yo yo in speeds and needing to overtake far earlier than one would normally on UK roads (which isn't safe and certainly disrupts traffic flow).

Had to stop using it to be honest, will give it a try on secondary roads but given the high concentration of lorries and spacing of them, I found eco pro very unsettling and stressful if I was trying to eek out the fuel, which isn't worth the offset in stress and peace of mind, so ended up switching it to adaptive which still uses coasting a bit (not nearly as much though) and allows for a more normal traffic integration and experience. Shame really, like the idea but the fuel savings algorithm is at the expense of everything else in eco pro and one rarely has more then 4 bar distance to any vehicle during normal hours so find it very stop start 'jerky' which is not natural and not the point of a luxury car like the 7...some further work needed me thinks!

To answer the question FastLaneJB, I checked and it would coast for 0.1 of a mile at times, dropping about 4 mph before kicking back in and accelerating again...most of the time it wouldn't be this much on flat roads but there are cases when it can do exceptionally well (without hills which I am not including here).

So adaptive it is for me...unless I am out at 2 AM sometime!
      06-13-2018, 05:39 AM   #13
Anonymous 2
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW 750LI G12

in my opinion, for a vehicle which you spend more than 100,000$, eco pro is useless, think how much you can save for one year ....