BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

03-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #45
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
lol, hope you're using the pictures of the kids barefoot in snow and trousers with the holes in them when asking for the raise!
I like your thinking

Quote:
agreed, it is stonking value for money in the UK right now, even fully loaded.
I think BMW as a whole do great offers across most of their range but this one is stonking. I guess there's more margin to play with and they probably still make a nice profit but at least they are prepared to put a good discount in vs other makes.

Sooner or later my feeling is there strong offers will end and they'll start to mirror other makes or get closer. Then all I'll be able to afford is a 1 series.

Quote:
Agreed, we're not long for this mortal coil so best to enjoy it the first and only time around...you never know when your time is up. Carpe Diem my friend.
Yeah exactly. Might leave a little bit for the kids but they need to work their asses off to make their own money as well.

Quote:
by the way, you've probably googled and watched ever 760 video going but I loved this one for the sheer fun of it, rather than a technical walk through, I have seen a few of his videos on the M2, m140 etc....Hope you haven't seen it and that it whets your appetite for your car...(must be so nice to be able to say that! )

Joe Achilles you tube review of m760Li
I have seen that one and it's my favourite of the lot. He likes the B7 better in other videos and that's also a great car however the thing that ruins that car for me is the lack of AWD in the UK. I suspect though once you look at offers the M760Li is also cheaper and well I will get to scratch that V12 itch. It's as far as I can likely go engine wise so will have achieved that goal. The cylinder count of my future cars is only going to decrease in the future but I'll have some fond memories hopefully.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #46
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Been a few days since I got the VIN but finally it's letting me download the manual on the iPhone app. I was thinking for a minute I was going to have to go over to Germany and sort out their IT for £150k for a days work
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:19 AM   #47
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Been a few days since I got the VIN but finally it's letting me download the manual on the iPhone app. I was thinking for a minute I was going to have to go over to Germany and sort out their IT for £150k for a days work

You do realise they had to get someone to amend the manual to include all of your features as no one else has gone where you are going!

'zes crazy Englanders, vat are zey zinking? You don't order ze night vision und ze HUD und ze voll seat package und und und....is he trying to kill me? Hans, help me mit zis 760 manual for ze crazy Englander....he vant his cake and eat it too...'

'Ja, Franz, I help you, I bet you he vork in IT...those guys are crazy!'

Glad you can get the manual now...doesn't mean that it is beyond the draft stage though you realise? It must be 700 pages long....
      03-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #48
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

You do realise they had to get someone to amend the manual to include all of your features as no one else has gone where you are going!

'zes crazy Englanders, vat are zey zinking? You don't order ze night vision und ze HUD und ze voll seat package und und und....is he trying to kill me? Hans, help me mit zis 760 manual for ze crazy Englander....he vant his cake and eat it too...'

'Ja, Franz, I help you, I bet you he vork in IT...those guys are crazy!'

Glad you can get the manual now...doesn't mean that it is beyond the draft stage though you realise? It must be 700 pages long....
Reading it through last night a bit and amazing some of the safety stuff it does. I'd not have known it can change lanes on motorways for you for instance or how to activate that but you need the lane assist on and then just hold the turn signal at the resistance point apparently. Will have to give this go.

I noticed this about the launch control as well:

"BMW achieve a launch time of 3.6 seconds to 60mph with a single driver, car at operating temperate, a warm dry day and 25% fuel in the tank. If you leave your manual in the car the time is 3.7 seconds from the additional weight. Be warned Englander!"
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #49
325_bucks
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Reading it through last night a bit and amazing some of the safety stuff it does. I'd not have known it can change lanes on motorways for you for instance or how to activate that but you need the lane assist on and then just hold the turn signal at the resistance point apparently. Will have to give this go.

I noticed this about the launch control as well:

"BMW achieve a launch time of 3.6 seconds to 60mph with a single driver, car at operating temperate, a warm dry day and 25% fuel in the tank. If you leave your manual in the car the time is 3.7 seconds from the additional weight. Be warned Englander!"
Changing lanes was weird the first time I tried it, feels very disorienting to begin with
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #50
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Changing lanes was weird the first time I tried it, feels very disorienting to begin with
Yeah I can imagine that, I remember the first time I ever used Active Cruise and wasn't fully trusting of that until got used to it. After all I know what developers are like who write these things, not sure they wouldn't try to kill me off

The laser lights part of the manual was interesting. My understanding is they come on from over around 37mph but the LED high beams are still used. The lasers shine into the LED's to increase the brightness so all the movement / splitting of the beams should work with the lasers still on.

That's different to how I thought it was. I thought the minute another car was detected it went to just LED high beams to do the voodoo magic split beams around their car.

This is good if I'm understanding it properly as it mean they'll be on far more than I expected.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #51
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

seriously thinking of the laser light retrofit, quite regretful I didn't splash out on them. There's an official retrofit available it seems
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #52
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, changing lanes works okay but not faultless...especially from inside to middle lane on motorway...I have noticed it doesn't seem to like the middle lane and wants to continue out into the outside lane...(of course, its a BMW! ) what am I thinking about being in the inside lane in the first place! But seriously, it doesn't register the right hand middle lane markings sometimes so be ready to grab the wheel and correct if needed...Also, ensure you have plenty of space behind in terms of cars coming up the lane you want to move into...the car may or may not see them...usually fine, but if they are approaching at a rate of knots then by the time the blind spot camera notices them, it may already be moving over...so human still far superior for lane changing but it works well in 'normal' light traffic when everyone is playing according to the rules and spaced well.

I also note that the split beam works a treat when you go from middle to inside lane compared to outer to middle lane...when you move to inside lane the adaptive always switches the light on (to the inside shoulder obviously) but when you just move over to middle lane it does actively monitor the inside lane to see if a car is there and then decides...but move into the inside lane and the beam splits and always covers the shoulder (except if the vehicle in front of you is too close but you'd not be moving into that lane then...)

So, some good features but not without...it also really likes slip roads when on the motorway, even with the sat nav indicating you want to carry on ahead...so watch the steering wheel when you go by an exit (in the inside lane again, middle or outside no issues)...the reason is that the white lines are far bolder and wider there so the cameras see them and think the road is going off to the left and will definitely surprise you if you don't get a firm hand and say 'straight you fool!'...

Generally happy but would NOT want to go completely automatic with the current algorithms, processing time and speeds we use on the roads as still too many quirks or issues...it is getting better though.

Will be curious to hear how 325_bucks gets on, on his motorway blast this weekend and when you both have tried it out a bit in various conditions....
      03-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #53
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The laser lights part of the manual was interesting. My understanding is they come on from over around 37mph but the LED high beams are still used. The lasers shine into the LED's to increase the brightness so all the movement / splitting of the beams should work with the lasers still on.

That's different to how I thought it was. I thought the minute another car was detected it went to just LED high beams to do the voodoo magic split beams around their car.

This is good if I'm understanding it properly as it mean they'll be on far more than I expected.
Not my experience but maybe I'm wrong. You definitely note the increase when the beams are together (even if they move together around a corner) from the lasers coming on...but when they split, they are LED only in my opinion...there is a discernible light intensity difference.... I think this is due to the beams also 'forming' depending on speed and cars around...which the lasers can't do...as they are on full whack when they are on...

So, in urban areas, the LED are broader in pattern with no traffic but generally below 37 mph anyways....

When in going faster than 87 mph (on the continent for example as obviously one cannot do that in the UK! ) the beams, even when split around cars, do narrow and try to cover further distances...Maybe lasers come on then.

When beam split, the beams actively get shorter and move to the respective sides more until hard stop as vehicles move in relation, not sure that lasers can adapt the power they output to be honest and my experience is that they don't shine in this situation.

What is the cost of the retrofit 325_bucks? Maybe worth meeting up and checking out what the Lasers look like in person before splashing out the cash? Just a thought!
      03-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #54
325_bucks
Captain
Rep

oh I just looked for rough prices, it's looking like £10k! Jesus, no chance
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 08:47 AM   #55
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
oh I just looked for rough prices, it's looking like £10k! Jesus, no chance
Yikes, that may be as they offered a retrofit for the i8 as the first ones didn't have lasers either and they knew they had to offer it as a retrofit. (and the cost of that beast is high too)...

I think, to be honest, once you see the difference, you'll live happy with the icon adaptive but yes cool to be able to say one has, in reality, not so sure it is worth the £2500 cost IIRC...Unless you burn through that in petrol costs in the 760 each week anyway like someone we know!

Seriously, once you get a chance, let's meet up one evening somewhere between us and we can compare...Tuesday nights are good for me particularly as I end up at the Newbury M4/A34 junction anyway so that is not far from you and we could put them side by side and see the differences so you can then decide whether to get a second mortgage to get them or smugly smile and be pleased with what you have? (just don't start knifing my interior if you do decide you want them! )
      03-15-2018, 09:54 AM   #56
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Not my experience but maybe I'm wrong. You definitely note the increase when the beams are together (even if they move together around a corner) from the lasers coming on...but when they split, they are LED only in my opinion...there is a discernible light intensity difference.... I think this is due to the beams also 'forming' depending on speed and cars around...which the lasers can't do...as they are on full whack when they are on...

So, in urban areas, the LED are broader in pattern with no traffic but generally below 37 mph anyways....

When in going faster than 87 mph (on the continent for example as obviously one cannot do that in the UK! ) the beams, even when split around cars, do narrow and try to cover further distances...Maybe lasers come on then.

When beam split, the beams actively get shorter and move to the respective sides more until hard stop as vehicles move in relation, not sure that lasers can adapt the power they output to be honest and my experience is that they don't shine in this situation.

What is the cost of the retrofit 325_bucks? Maybe worth meeting up and checking out what the Lasers look like in person before splashing out the cash? Just a thought!
This one isn't the video in the manual but seems somewhat similar.

Indeed when it's split in the case of this video the split one needs to be weaker because there's a car coming anyway however the right light that's still straight is still the laser light? The video in the manual is a bit better, maybe you can pop your VIN in to get it on your phone to see what I mean.

Yeah I wouldn't bother paying to retrofit the laser lights. In the original i8 though they were an £8k option so the price has come down a lot already for the technology. You can get lasers as an option on the Range Rover Velar I think was their first car.

Not yet mainsteam of course, my guess is maybe the LCI refresh for the current 5 series might have them as an option. It'll be ages until it filters down to the 3 series though.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 10:38 AM   #57
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
This one isn't the video in the manual but seems somewhat similar.

Indeed when it's split in the case of this video the split one needs to be weaker because there's a car coming anyway however the right light that's still straight is still the laser light? The video in the manual is a bit better, maybe you can pop your VIN in to get it on your phone to see what I mean.

Yeah I wouldn't bother paying to retrofit the laser lights. In the original i8 though they were an £8k option so the price has come down a lot already for the technology. You can get lasers as an option on the Range Rover Velar I think was their first car.

Not yet mainsteam of course, my guess is maybe the LCI refresh for the current 5 series might have them as an option. It'll be ages until it filters down to the 3 series though.
One key point that I'll try to pay more attention to in future...seems obvious but is subtle so I'll check and come back to you...the high beams need to be on (obviously for the lasers to work)...again, when the voodoo beam is activated, in my experience, the high beam goes off...(the blue light is not illuminated in the dash)...even when the car is quite far away, so lasers won't be active then...but in a straight road condition (for you Northerners) it may actually stay on high beam and keep the laser on the one side while splitting and voodooing the other beam in non laser mode...

I think there have only been a very few times when the beams don't dip to low with beam splitting for me so far...hence why I am not seeing the lasers as well in this mode...need a good straight section of road or one that doesn't bend too much then the headlights/taillights of other vehicles may allow the high beam to stay on and therefore the lasers to be on...

One to check next time I'm out in the dark...(literally! ) I don't appear to have a laser video...only text. I have an adaptive video in the manual but not one for laser high beam headlights...So, you've made them add videos to your manual as well FLJB!

Best to let someone else drive the car first time around...it may be set to self destruct given the extra work you've made them do!
      03-15-2018, 11:02 AM   #58
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
One key point that I'll try to pay more attention to in future...seems obvious but is subtle so I'll check and come back to you...the high beams need to be on (obviously for the lasers to work)...again, when the voodoo beam is activated, in my experience, the high beam goes off...(the blue light is not illuminated in the dash)...even when the car is quite far away, so lasers won't be active then...but in a straight road condition (for you Northerners) it may actually stay on high beam and keep the laser on the one side while splitting and voodooing the other beam in non laser mode...

I think there have only been a very few times when the beams don't dip to low with beam splitting for me so far...hence why I am not seeing the lasers as well in this mode...need a good straight section of road or one that doesn't bend too much then the headlights/taillights of other vehicles may allow the high beam to stay on and therefore the lasers to be on...

One to check next time I'm out in the dark...(literally! ) I don't appear to have a laser video...only text. I have an adaptive video in the manual but not one for laser high beam headlights...So, you've made them add videos to your manual as well FLJB!

Best to let someone else drive the car first time around...it may be set to self destruct given the extra work you've made them do!
Well that sounds strange then, my M5 often has the blue high beams light on for just one of the beams while the other is much shorter. You can do it on a motorway even when there's lots of traffic if you go to the slow lane. One side will be high beam when you can see easily on road signs on the side of the road, the other side will be regular dipped beam.

It's a shame they don't have a shark symbol for the dash come on when the lasers are on so you know for sure. However I was thinking double the distance should be pretty obvious to the naked eye.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #59
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well that sounds strange then, my M5 often has the blue high beams light on for just one of the beams while the other is much shorter. You can do it on a motorway even when there's lots of traffic if you go to the slow lane. One side will be high beam when you can see easily on road signs on the side of the road, the other side will be regular dipped beam.

It's a shame they don't have a shark symbol for the dash come on when the lasers are on so you know for sure. However I was thinking double the distance should be pretty obvious to the naked eye.
Agree that I have seen the blue light on with split beam at times, just not often...it then does indeed have high beam on the shoulder and masked high beam on the other side adapting to the traffic situation...the thing is I find the roads I use at least are twisty enough that the high beam doesn't stay on or is dipped quickly at the start...even on some sections of the M4 I find it does this quite a bit due to the curves of the road and the high traffic density...

I'll pay more attention and maybe I'm fooling myself, it may be on quite a bit still and indeed be lasers...

Like the shark symbol idea...maybe we can get someone to hack the code...if only we knew a super Dr. Evil IT type...
      03-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #60
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Agree that I have seen the blue light on with split beam at times, just not often...it then does indeed have high beam on the shoulder and masked high beam on the other side adapting to the traffic situation...the thing is I find the roads I use at least are twisty enough that the high beam doesn't stay on or is dipped quickly at the start...even on some sections of the M4 I find it does this quite a bit due to the curves of the road and the high traffic density...

I'll pay more attention and maybe I'm fooling myself, it may be on quite a bit still and indeed be lasers...

Like the shark symbol idea...maybe we can get someone to hack the code...if only we knew a super Dr. Evil IT type...
Probably the best way would be to put some tape over your camera so it thinks there's nothing around at all times. Then you'll be able to laser everyone all the time. If cars crash off the road or just explode then you'll know your lasers are on
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #61
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Probably the best way would be to put some tape over your camera so it thinks there's nothing around at all times. Then you'll be able to laser everyone all the time. If cars crash off the road or just explode then you'll know your lasers are on
This made me laugh for a few reasons, it’s funny, but also as it so very well illustrates something I see at work; ask a software guy to fix a problem on a product, they’ll say change the hardware...ask the hardware guy to change something, they’ll say best to do s software tweak!
      03-15-2018, 01:53 PM   #62
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This made me laugh for a few reasons, it’s funny, but also as it so very well illustrates something I see at work; ask a software guy to fix a problem on a product, they’ll say change the hardware...ask the hardware guy to change something, they’ll say best to do s software tweak!
Well that's the same also if your in management. Go into a meeting and try to avoid getting any actions on yourself, best to give them to the person that couldn't turn up
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 02:13 PM   #63
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
325_bucks tyzer, you know, I was trying to figure out how a San Marino Blue M760LI would look with all that lighting technology....I bet it would be stunning, shame we don't know anyone that has one...

Care to post a pic of your ambient lighting at night or your light carpet? Seems we'll have to post pictures of our cars until someone comes along with a nice 760...hope we don't have to wait too long...
Attached Images

03-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #64
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Looking good Pelo Cat. Do you get many people comment on the light carpet or strange looks from other people?

For reference this is where you go to pick the colour of your next car I think a Gangster Princess would find a Purple Silk is right up your ally

https://www.bmw.co.uk/discover-bmw/b...ual-visualiser
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #65
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Looking good Pelo Cat. Do you get many people comment on the light carpet or strange looks from other people?

For reference this is where you go to pick the colour of your next car I think a Gangster Princess would find a Purple Silk is right up your ally

https://www.bmw.co.uk/discover-bmw/b...ual-visualiser
First, have to say, your car is going to look so absolutely gorgeous that it is not funny...I very much look forward to just seeing pictures of it, imagine the pleasure of owning it will be manyfold greater, you will have to let me know if I am going too far sometimes, don't want to be an @ss.

Came across this photo tonight on a FB group which I believe is your colour? (obviously a different model and not my pictures so copyright of that chap not me!) Absolutely stunning colour in the right lighting and given the right paint protection. I'd be hard pressed to drive it as I'd just want to stare at it...
--

To the questions:

Light Carpet: honestly, no, I think that is more to do with my parking away from crowds or where the majority park though more than anything to be honest, most people are oblivious to it...think it shows up best on a dark black uniform road surface or drive...then it may grab attention. I love it though and find it a nice way to start the journey. ^

I may indeed do an individual colour next time to be honest, life is too short and it may be my last car in terms of something for fun rather than practical and efficient downward spiral. My favourite colour is actually blue. Wife's red...I love colour and am definitely not colour shy in clothing or elsewhere so bring on the purple...(just need the small suspended balls framing the windscreen to be a proper gangsta! In a 5.2m long car that would be something!

Hope you see movement with the car soon, shouldn't be long now.
Attached Images

03-15-2018, 04:04 PM   #66
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
First, have to say, your car is going to look so absolutely gorgeous that it is not funny...I very much look forward to just seeing pictures of it, imagine the pleasure of owning it will be manyfold greater, you will have to let me know if I am going too far sometimes, don't want to be an @ss.
Dude your anything but an @ss. You've helped with the wait no end and I'm really grateful for that. Besides if we end up in a duel we might end up slicing the planet in half with our lasers. For humanities sake we best stay friends

Quote:
Came across this photo tonight on a FB group which I believe is your colour? (obviously a different model and not my pictures so copyright of that chap not me!) Absolutely stunning colour in the right lighting and given the right paint protection. I'd be hard pressed to drive it as I'd just want to stare at it...
Indeed that looks like the colour, very stunning in person and my favourite BMW blue so far. However they do seem to constantly mix up additional blues so they might top it sometime. I can just imagine BMW have a specialist blue paint guy who's job is solely to mix new shades of blue all year long until he cracks the next new combo.

Quote:
Light Carpet: honestly, no, I think that is more to do with my parking away from crowds or where the majority park though more than anything to be honest, most people are oblivious to it...think it shows up best on a dark black uniform road surface or drive...then it may grab attention. I love it though and find it a nice way to start the journey. ^
Yeah it's a little weak for most lighting situations but as you say it's nice plus you know it's there. It probably wouldn't suit most of their market to make it too strong and in your face.

Quote:
I may indeed do an individual colour next time to be honest, life is too short and it may be my last car in terms of something for fun rather than practical and efficient downward spiral. My favourite colour is actually blue. Wife's red...I love colour and am definitely not colour shy in clothing or elsewhere so bring on the purple...(just need the small suspended balls framing the windscreen to be a proper gangsta! In a 5.2m long car that would be something!
Yeah I'm a blue man as well myself. Occasionally decide I have to go with something else for a change but my heart is with blue.

Guy across the road has a BMW M2 in Long Beach Blue Metallic which also is a great blue, looks really nice. Funny story on that one was I went in to speak to my dealer about the M760Li a good while ago originally. Saw it in the parking lot and sent him the pictures as it looked amazing, had quite a bit of carbon stuff on it as well. A few weeks later it was in his driveway. He'd been talking about changing his car, maybe an M2 but for quite a long time. However just took seeing that one in person and he was sold instantly.

Quote:
Hope you see movement with the car soon, shouldn't be long now.
Yeah I'll chase it again over the weekend I imagine. Got to work tomorrow night plus Saturday for a bit but then off for 2 weeks. So plenty of time to sort out anything I need.

They apparently don't do the 7 day free BMW insurance anymore either which is a shame. I was hoping to use that to then see if it fits nicely in the garage before getting something arranged myself. Now I'll likely have to insure it as parked on the driveway just incase and change it up afterwards if it does go in.
Appreciate 0