BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

08-01-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
Mjeagent
Rep
Drives: 2015 Sophisto Grey

Bent control arm - 300 miles - 2018 m760i

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hit a small to medium size pothole in the D.C. area. Car didn't drive or sound right after. Dealership said the front passenger control arm was bent. $1000 for parts and labor. Not sure why a new car (for that value) couldn't take a small pothole. I get that it's not the fault of BMW that I hit the pothole but I have zero faith in the car holding up through the real months of actual, severe potholes. Thoughts?
2016 Tesla Model X P90D (black)
2017 Mercedes C63s Coupe (matte)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
I had similar issue with suspension damage on my F10 -- Huge pothole up here on approach to the old Tappan Zee bridge. It is a function of many factors, including most importantly the speed at the time, size/depth of pothole, wheel size, tire inflation, and suspension itself. In my case, I had 18" wheels and had both right side wheels damaged by the pothole -- but tires held up (even though the much maligned Goodyears). My bill was about $1500 even though tire/wheel insurance paid for repairs to wheels. I had no other pothole damage issues with either of my F10s or my G12 (G12 has 19's). I don't think I'd leap to any conclusions about any inherent weakness in the suspension. I suppose it is possible to design a suspension that is pothole proof, but it would have to add undesirable weight that would adversely affect handling and fuel economy.
Appreciate 0