BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-23-2020, 04:04 AM   #67
SchwarzerReiter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 428i

1. Volvo has had this for years now.

2. This is so intuitive, i wonder why it took them so long to do. We do everything with our phones these days, why would i want that bulky BMW key with the laggy screen?

3. How can you valet your car now? Do you have to share a key with the valet guy?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 04:27 AM   #68
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie View Post
Don't get me wrong, I am a bit, I honestly thought when it showed up in the iOS betas that's it should just work given they all showed the i8 but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it is what it is, hopefully it can be coded
Apparently that was a fake... or more likely some BMW UI mockups (not Apple's) as there were some typos. Some developer in BMW thought the i8 looked cool and used it I think!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 05:26 AM   #69
J-RO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

This feature is of no interest to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 06:04 AM   #70
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimSimma335 View Post
I'm very confused as to how this is more convenient. Now my fob never leaves my pocket. I can lock, unlock and start my cars without ever taking something out of my pocket. I rarely even take my phone out of my pocket unless it really needs to be charged. Why would I want to have to constantly take my phone out, unlock it with Face ID, place it near the door handle then put it in the wireless charger to start the car? Then I have to remember to take it with me every time. Do you know how many times I would leave it in the car when the car was parked in the garage since I don't have lock it? I'd rather they design cases for phones that act like the fob so I can carry my phone only (no fob) the phone never has to leave my pocket either.

Unless this is using Face ID as an additional security feature. But it is not more convenient.
First would be I don’t need my key anymore and can just use my phone. Second, if you have an Apple Watch you won’t need to use FaceID, just use your Apple Watch to unlock. I use my Apple Watch all the time for Apple Pay and it works awesome without requiring FaceID, especially when wearing a mask.

Outstanding that BMW is going to offer this and I just ordered a 2021 5 LCI a couple weeks ago. Excited!
Appreciate 1
PABrian149.50
      06-23-2020, 06:06 AM   #71
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
Another BS Apple feature to sell new models of Iphone...an old Iphone with NFC feature should be able to unlock a car as we already use it to pay with it!
Not really. Any phones have the newer tech, as do cars. MFG have to have some way to make money and old phones don’t get new tech when it is introduced.
Appreciate 1
PABrian149.50
      06-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #72
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
The people who are saying that it's a gimmick and useless feature are doing so, shaping their comments around their own lifestyle. Smart homes are getting increasingly popular and the use of physical keys are declining so having your phone as your key/hub for everything makes sense.

The smartphone is going to be the one-device-for-all where the only thing you really need to carry is your phone and wallet but that will eventually be gone once digital ID's (health card, drivers license) become valid.

Is this going to be for everyone? No but it's going to be useful for those who have tech thoroughly embedded within their lifestyle. For everyone else, physical keys will still be used until they're fully gone.
Appreciate 1
PABrian149.50
      06-23-2020, 08:25 AM   #73
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M71 View Post
Wonder if they can do a similar integration for cars already equipped with connectedrive! Would be a nice update to the f series
F-chassis cars don't have NFC, so this wouldn't just be an update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJMartinez View Post
It's a bummer that this will only work on the mentioned model lines manufactured after July 1, 2020. Probably has something to do with using the U1 chip on iPhone, not just the car's NFC (how Android uses the feature).

It's lack of hardware foresight like this that allowed Tesla to disrupt the auto industry by adding new features to ALL models, old and new, with OTA updates.

One thing I wonder about this is how will it work with valet when you only brought your phone?
Just bring your key or Digital Key Card when you know you're going to valet? Not that big of a deal.

Quote:
I can unlock my car with the BMW Connected Drive App on a 2017 Iphone SE...why do I need a need a new phone or new app...anyway why bothering with that when you have comfort access...there's no need to take you phone to unlock the car...just use the handle and in 1/10 s it's open with confort access!
It isn't a new app. It works like Apple Pay and uses NFC. Unlocking your car with the Connected App uses the cellular network to tell BMW's servers to send a signal to the car to unlock. There's zero communication directly from your phone to the car.

The idea is to have one less thing in your pocket. Don't like it? Just don't use it...pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicBread View Post
I feel like you're reaching for something to complain about here....
You pretty much summed up a lot of the Bimmerpost forums...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #74
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 (G30) 550xi

In Sum...

I agree that consolidating the technology you're carrying around into one device has both its positive and negative features.

Nice feature to add to your phone, but the accepted technology standard requires that you have a newer phone with the appropriate hardware to implement the standard. Nice for the smart phone provider in the short term, especially at $1,000+ for a new phone (if want all the higher end model).

Since I usually keep my phone in my back pocket, I'm not sure I want to put my a$$ up against the door handle to unlock the care, so it's not totally convenient.

I would like to see a valet pre-set sharable key (low speed limit, no radio, notifications when the valet key is used), along with other pre-programmed sharable keys (why set it up every time when you let the teenager move the car in the driveway/back it out of the garage).

Does it notify you when a shared key is used; and when a shared key is being used, if it isn't your partner/spouse, I want location updates every 10 minutes.

And last, does anyone know if the new standard inhibits the replay attacks thieves are currently using to boost cars with comfort access and push button start?

Tom

2003 E65 745i | 2011 F10 550i | 2021 G30 M550xi
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:35 AM   #75
lilstevie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW i5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PABrian View Post
Some F-chassis do. The F40 and F44 definitely have NFC
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:43 AM   #76
sward
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i7 xDrive60

Garage List
2023 BMW i7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstevie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABrian View Post
Some F-chassis do. The F40 and F44 definitely have NFC
i think the X5M and X6M are F95 and F96
i7 xDrive60 -23 Sold: iX -22, X5MC -20 (F95), X5M50d -19 (G05), X5M50d -17 (F15), X5M50d -14 (F15), 116d -13 (F20), X5 3.0D -10 (E70), M3 -10 (E93), 320DX -10 (E91), 320D -08 (E91), X3 30D -07 (E83), 335 -07 (E92), 325 -05 (E90), 320 -02 (E46), 318 -00 (E46), 320 -93 (E36), 318 -89 (E30)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #77
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Another BS Apple feature to sell new models of Iphone...an old Iphone with NFC feature should be able to unlock a car as we already use it to pay with it!
A lot of misinformation in this thread.

First off, this is an iOS feature. They did not announce a new iPhone. If you upgrade to iOS 14 when it is out, you should get this feature.

Next, as far as the availability on the new 540i, I took that as just a product placement thing - BMW took the opportunity to promote the new car. Clearly this feature will work with cars that support the Digital Key spec.

BMW implements CCC digital key 2.0. Pretty much every car manufacturer under the sun is collaborating on this tech (except maybe Tesla, who has been doing this for awhile without using a standard). It does require NFC - you have to hold your phone near the handle, and as shown you have to put your phone in a tray to start the car.

Digital Key 3.0, which uses Bluetooth Low energy, was announced in October 2019. This allows for features like leaving your phone in your pocket to start, and the car unlocking on approach. New cars like the Polestar 2 support this.

I mean, I guess it's possible that the new BMWs have version 3.0 but the procedure shown with the tray and all is clearly version 2.0.

As far as the July cutoff - I wonder if BMW is just switching from Digital Key 1.0 to 2.0 during this period, or if they have some other explanation.

https://carconnectivity.org/wp-conte...hite-Paper.pdf

https://carconnectivity.org/wp-conte...al_Key_2.0.pdf
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 09:05 AM   #78
Sergeant Skinner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
As far as the July cutoff - I wonder if BMW is just switching from Digital Key 1.0 to 2.0 during this period, or if they have some other explanation.

That's what I am thinking as well. What's the difference between 1.0 and 2.0? The documents don't really tell... All the things in the demo present a similar behaviour to what is there today with Android and BMW's current digital key.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 09:16 AM   #79
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBJ View Post
Quote:

That's what I am thinking as well. What's the difference between 1.0 and 2.0? The documents don't really tell... All the things in the demo present a similar behaviour to what is there today with Android and BMW's current digital key.
2.0 looks like it includes standardization in the authentication protocol between the phone and car. Previously it was up to the app developer to implement what they wanted. So this makes total sense that you'd need version 2.0 to use it as a standard iOS feature.

In the end I guess it is not that big of a deal, if you have to install an app or if it is native, aside from being more seamless and being able to use Messages to text a key to someone without the app.

It's covered vaguely here: https://carconnectivity.org/press-re...-key-solution/
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 09:34 AM   #80
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Can't wait for this to not work properly and be bombarded with pissed off clients!

But seriously, this is not more convenient than just using your regular comfort access. The need for a gimmick like this makes no sense to me.
      06-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #81
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
2.0 looks like it includes standardization in the authentication protocol between the phone and car. Previously it was up to the app developer to implement what they wanted. So this makes total sense that you'd need version 2.0 to use it as a standard iOS feature.

In the end I guess it is not that big of a deal, if you have to install an app or if it is native, aside from being more seamless and being able to use Messages to text a key to someone without the app.

It's covered vaguely here: https://carconnectivity.org/press-re...-key-solution/

1.0 may be what our cars have

2.0 supports “dead” phones, ie enough power to use nfc but not boot

3.0 is UWB/btle to enable precision location, allowing you to leave your phone in your pocket/purse, which is apparently what 90% of the people complaining on here fail to understand
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #82
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Maybe I am in a minority here, but I don’t want this on my vehicle.
Eventhe Comfort Access gives opportunity to thieves.
Not to mention I have a phone because I work and I need it, but once I am in holiday or I am out or I will retire, there will be no phone for me anymore.

Keep a damn form of a key that is safe and secure.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:04 AM   #83
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJMartinez View Post
It's a bummer that this will only work on the mentioned model lines manufactured after July 1, 2020. Probably has something to do with using the U1 chip on iPhone, not just the car's NFC (how Android uses the feature).

It's lack of hardware foresight like this that allowed Tesla to disrupt the auto industry by adding new features to ALL models, old and new, with OTA updates.

One thing I wonder about this is how will it work with valet when you only brought your phone?
I'd say this isn't a good thing to use in a valet scenario as you'd need to send your Valet an iMessage with the key which requires they be using an iPhone and you know their phone number. It would also require they share the same phone with all the valets or you're limited to only that specific valet being able to pick up the car.

This is geared toward families and friends and, potentially, rental car companies.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #84
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
The people who are saying that it's a gimmick and useless feature are doing so, shaping their comments around their own lifestyle. Smart homes are getting increasingly popular and the use of physical keys are declining so having your phone as your key/hub for everything makes sense.

The smartphone is going to be the one-device-for-all where the only thing you really need to carry is your phone and wallet but that will eventually be gone once digital ID's (health card, drivers license) become valid.

Is this going to be for everyone? No but it's going to be useful for those who have tech thoroughly embedded within their lifestyle. For everyone else, physical keys will still be used until they're fully gone.
For different reason which I will not explain in here, I am against smart home and all this digitalization of my life. Maybe you don’t but I like my privacy.
I want my keys and my wallet thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:15 AM   #85
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post

For different reason which I will not explain in here, I am against smart home and all this digitalization of my life. Maybe you don’t but I like my privacy.
I want my keys and my wallet thank you!
A lot of people are, myself included, but it doesn't mean that other people haven't already equipped their home with smart devices and for those that have, this makes a lot of sense to them. This is not about which method (comfort access vs Digital Key) is easier and quicker to access your car, this is about making your smartphone your one key for all.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #86
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Cmtl View Post
So you still have to have the key for valet, non tech parents, dealership visits and such... then add the times I don't drive with my phone. Seems like its just going to be another tech feature used a few times then forgotten...
My industry (consumer electronics) is filled with these. I call them "faux features."
      06-23-2020, 12:15 PM   #87
TomWinMD
Tom W
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 (G30) 550xi

Quote:
A lot of misinformation in this thread.

First off, this is an iOS feature. They did not announce a new iPhone. If you upgrade to iOS 14 when it is out, you should get this feature.

Next, as far as the availability on the new 540i, I took that as just a product placement thing - BMW took the opportunity to promote the new car. Clearly this feature will work with cars that support the Digital Key spec.

BMW implements CCC digital key 2.0. Pretty much every car manufacturer under the sun is collaborating on this tech (except maybe Tesla, who has been doing this for awhile without using a standard). It does require NFC - you have to hold your phone near the handle, and as shown you have to put your phone in a tray to start the car.

Digital Key 3.0, which uses Bluetooth Low energy, was announced in October 2019. This allows for features like leaving your phone in your pocket to start, and the car unlocking on approach. New cars like the Polestar 2 support this.

I mean, I guess it's possible that the new BMWs have version 3.0 but the procedure shown with the tray and all is clearly version 2.0.

Up front, I'll acknowledge that I'm not an expert on the technology.

BMW's own marketing material states that "The following devices are compatible with BMW Digital Key: iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2nd generation) and Apple Watch Series 5. BMW Digital Key will require the upcoming iOS 13.6 and WatchOS 6.2.8."

It reads (and yes it's marketing material and could be wrong) as if you need the correct hardware and iOS version to use the feature.

https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/bm...w-car-key.html

I did a search for a list of iPhones compatible with CarKey, and Apple doesn't seem to provide one, nor does one appear in their support forums.

The 9-to-5 website believes, based on the availability of NFC in iPhone 7 and up, that CarKey should be compatible with those phones, but that's all. (An article from 5 Feb 2020 - https://9to5mac.com/2020/02/05/new-c...-nfc-car-keys/)

I've got a MY2021 M550 in the production queue now, so I'll hit up my CA and see what he knows about it, but I'm guessing that for the moment he'll only have the marketing material to reference.

Tom

2003 E65 745i | 2011 F10 550i | 2021 G30 M550xi
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 01:42 PM   #88
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWinMD View Post
Up front, I'll acknowledge that I'm not an expert on the technology.

BMW's own marketing material states that "The following devices are compatible with BMW Digital Key: iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2nd generation) and Apple Watch Series 5. BMW Digital Key will require the upcoming iOS 13.6 and WatchOS 6.2.8."

It reads (and yes it's marketing material and could be wrong) as if you need the correct hardware and iOS version to use the feature.

https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/bm...w-car-key.html

I did a search for a list of iPhones compatible with CarKey, and Apple doesn't seem to provide one, nor does one appear in their support forums.

The 9-to-5 website believes, based on the availability of NFC in iPhone 7 and up, that CarKey should be compatible with those phones, but that's all. (An article from 5 Feb 2020 - https://9to5mac.com/2020/02/05/new-c...-nfc-car-keys/)

I've got a MY2021 M550 in the production queue now, so I'll hit up my CA and see what he knows about it, but I'm guessing that for the moment he'll only have the marketing material to reference.
Though the iPhone 7 & up have NFC, there have been hardware changes over the years, perhaps not on the NFC side but definitely on the bluetooth side. If the desire is to use bluetooth low energy (BTLE), then it's very possible that older devices simply cannot support it. They would only support say, version 1.0, which may not be secure enough for Apple to say OK. Or it's just get a new phone with your fancy BMW.