BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

05-04-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Jump / Jerk / Lurch Shifting into R, and then again Shifting into D :(

Hello everyone,

I have a service appointment with my dealer tomorrow.

This past winter my car started doing the following:

If parked overnight on a very, very, very slight incline (my home’s driveway), upon startup and shifting into reverse, the car jumps and jerks backwards (while my foot is of course still on the brake). Furthermore, I do allow the car to warm up for a minute.

I know that this happens to all vehicles when parked on a steep incline, but I’ve had the car since new, it’s never done this before, and it also only happens when cold out and upon cold start up; not again later in the day.

Then, in addition to the above, once the vehicle is out of the driveway, I shift into drive to make a left turn, and as I let off the brake the car moves / coasts a small amount and then jumps or lurches forward (while turning) and subsequently smooths out, with no further issue. This jump or lurch is shocking and violent.

Anything come to mind that I can relay to the service advisor / shop foreman?

Awful how I feel the need to consult this [most knowledgeable] forum on matters first before visiting the dealer; you’d think that a clear description of same would be sufficient to get down to the bottom of things with them; but no, not with our vehicles.

Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 10:22 PM   #2
dashaft
Rep
Drives: 2012 750i

My 2012 has sane issue, dealer cant find reason. File has been sent to Germany no answer. It also happens more when I use spirt or sport plus. The vehicle shifts extra hard, kinda jerking from 1st to 2nd gear and also with foot on brake at stand still it lurches forward
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 10:10 AM   #3
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashaft View Post
My 2012 has sane issue, dealer cant find reason. File has been sent to Germany no answer. It also happens more when I use spirt or sport plus. The vehicle shifts extra hard, kinda jerking from 1st to 2nd gear and also with foot on brake at stand still it lurches forward
Many thanks for your post.

Please kindly keep me posted with any updates you hear back from the dealer.

Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 10:57 AM   #4
ALEGEND22
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 750Li M Sport

It sounds as if your tranny may be low on fluid. Its not the easiest thing to check on these cars. But its worth it and better than buying a new unit. When I bought my car I bought it dirt cheap because the previous owner was told by the dealer that the transmission was done. So he sold it to me for an extremely low price. Of course I jumped on it immediately. After I towed the car home I jacked it up to check the fluid and none came out. So I added a quart. And what do ya know. It worked perfectly. So yes I would definitely check the fluid level and condition. If it looks dark or smells burned change the fluid and filter. The filter on these cars are built into the pan so you get everything new when you do this. I hope this helps.

Last edited by ALEGEND22; 03-16-2022 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0