BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

07-01-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Another AC failure,Just frustrated

2nd time in the past 2 years... AC failed again.Right in the middle of summer.I have a 115k Luxury barge and I have to sweat in it.It is just surprising to see a flagship car have these annoying issues.I called the closest dealer and he says he has no loaner till next Thursday.One week in summer with no AC.Glad we have my wife's SUV to save the day. Her vehicle is on its 6th year 100k miles and never had a problem. I am lucky that I don't have any major problems but after this I am seriously considering switching brands.I wish Lexus made better vehicles unlike their Mammoths.

Is there a way I can fill the gas myself until next week?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2016, 12:01 PM   #2
figgie
Private
Rep
Drives: CTS

Garage List
you can attempt to go to a local autozone/pepboys. They have the R-134a recharge kits. I don't think BMW has switched from R-134a as of yet.

with that said, I would get a valve remover and tighten the valves on the high and low ports. DO NOT LOSEN THEM! if the system has pressure, you will release all of it if you losen the valves.

Otherwise, take it to someone that works on bimmers. Leaks are a pain to chase.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2016, 11:37 PM   #3
Wjjklj
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 740i

Garage List
2021 BMW X7 40i  [6.50]
2020 BMW 740i   [5.00]
I wouldn't fill myself.... These cars are very sensitive to even being an ounce off. You can overfill very easy with the auto store cans.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
figgie
Private
Rep
Drives: CTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wjjklj View Post
I wouldn't fill myself.... These cars are very sensitive to even being an ounce off. You can overfill very easy with the auto store cans.

it is not these (BMW) cars, it is every single r-134a system out there.

An ounc?, try a couple grams off (which is what they really use to measure) and it impacts cooling performance significantly.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
luvthestck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18’ Q7,16'981 GTS

Thanks for the suggestions,I made it to the dealership and they refilled the gas after testing for a leak.I was told that there was no leak but apparently the dye cannot pick out microscopic leaks.They think if it had lost Freon twice in two years there could be a micro leak which is hard to find.I am glad its a lease.
Appreciate 0