BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-21-2020, 02:55 AM   #1
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i Sport Touring

Dash Cam Fitting

Morning all.

I have a Thinkware U1000 which is hardwired into my G12. Front and rear cameras.

I am having issues with DAB interference and wonder if anyone has tried different routing for the cable.

At the moment I have the cable running along the offside (RHD car as I'm in the UK) to the rear camera. I have tried the passenger side but the result is the same.

Thinkware kindly sent me a new rear camera which improved things slightly (from no DAB at all on my drive to work to intermittently working. But more often not working than it is).

I've attached ferrite cores to both ends of all the cables. But nothing to as yet works.

If I disconnect the power completely to the camera the DAB works fine. Unplugging the rear camera only has no discernible effect.

So I'm wondering if anyone has a front and rear dash cam fitted that caused DAB issues they then solved. If so how did you manage it.

It's not a deal breaker I just don't want to go rerouting the cable unnecessarily if I don't need to.

Thanks.

Carl.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

Hi Carl,

I have the BMW Car Eye 2.0 installed, which was done by dealer, and everything works perfectly.

Take a look at the following installation instructions for the Car Eye 2.0 - might give you some installation ideas if nothing else.

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=762959

May also be worth powering up without routing the cables, as may just be general interference from the unit itself and nothing to do with cable routing.

Good luck
Mark
      12-22-2020, 02:14 AM   #3
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markr View Post
Hi Carl,

I have the BMW Car Eye 2.0 installed, which was done by dealer, and everything works perfectly.

Take a look at the following installation instructions for the Car Eye 2.0 - might give you some installation ideas if nothing else.

https://www.motor-talk.de/forum/akti...hmentId=762959

May also be worth powering up without routing the cables, as may just be general interference from the unit itself and nothing to do with cable routing.

Good luck
Mark
Hi Mark,

I thought the car eye 2.0 wasn't compatible with mine for some reason.

Thing is I've had the camera in for a year so not really wanting to rip it all out to try and sell on.

I think it's a combination of the whole thing as tried it as you suggested with the wiring not routed and get the same issue.

Edit* - Knew I wasn't going mad. Because I have the rear roller blind I can't use the Car Eye 2.0 F&R as the rear will foul the blind.

Last edited by RaptorStrike; 12-22-2020 at 02:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 12:16 PM   #4
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

Given that the issue does not appear to be cable routing, it has to be something going on in the front camera, given that disconnecting the rear has no real effect.

does it have wifi, Bluetooth etc, as they will transmit/receive, so if you are able to enable/disable features in the camera one by one that may help pinpoint. The Car Eye 2.0 has wifi, so that implementation works fine - so it may be that the Thinkware U1000 needs some additional suppression.
      12-22-2020, 01:08 PM   #5
RaptorStrike
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I've tried turning everything off. I've got ferrites on the cables at both ends as close as possible to where they connect.

I think you may be right and the U1000 just needs additional suppression. Just not sure what to try next now.
Appreciate 0