F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Is Comfort Access less secure ?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-22-2019, 02:48 AM   #67
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequin View Post
I don't deny that it is a thing but tbh I have only seen a few videos which appear in all CA threads.
How on earth did that guy open the door so quick, as the range extender clearly wasn't in range at that point?
Appreciate 1
Pequin230.00
      08-22-2019, 04:01 AM   #68
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999rigger View Post
I got a quote from my dealer (Sandal Wakefield) last week for an updated key that goes to sleep after a while. £230 for 1 new key.
Remember to shield your spare key with a shielding pouch if you change only one key.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 07:43 AM   #69
999rigger
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F33 4 Series Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensible View Post
Remember to shield your spare key with a shielding pouch if you change only one key.
Yes my spare is out of the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 05:12 PM   #70
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Enthusiastically

Quote:
Originally Posted by 999rigger View Post
Quote:
Yes my spare is out of the way.
Just don't leave it near the door! Simples :
      08-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #71
sensible
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 420i M-Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:
It depends on the range of the thieves equiptment, not the range of the key. How do you know if the key is far enough from the front of the house.

Last edited by sensible; 08-23-2019 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 02:57 AM   #72
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It depends on the range of the thieves equiptment, not the range of the key. How do you know if the key is far enough from the front of the house.
Surely the range of the key is important, can the extender amplify a signal that cannot reach it?
      08-24-2019, 03:19 AM   #73
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
can the extender amplify a signal that cannot reach it?
No, but if your house isn’t physically big enough for you to get the key out of range of the thieves equipment, the range of the key is kind of irrelevant.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 03:25 AM   #74
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
Quote:
can the extender amplify a signal that cannot reach it?
No, but if your house isn't physically big enough for you to get the key out of range of the thieves equipment, the range of the key is kind of irrelevant.
That is true, so, test the range, add the distance of the car from the front of the house then move the key slightly further away.

"What it doesn't rely on, however, is touching the key. It can more accurately be described as a smart opener, or an automatic unlocker. With Comfort Access, sensors built into your BMW are able to remotely recognize your key fob at a range of up to 5 feet."
      08-24-2019, 04:59 AM   #75
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

Quote:
That is true, so, test the range, add the distance of the car from the front of the house then move the key slightly further away.

"What it doesn't rely on, however, is touching the key. It can more accurately be described as a smart opener, or an automatic unlocker. With Comfort Access, sensors built into your BMW are able to remotely recognize your key fob at a range of up to 5 feet."
I’m not sure you get how these things work. The distance of the car to the front of the house is irrelevant (for the most part). A relay device used by these scummy low life’s has two parts. One is held close to the car, and the other, connected wirelessly, close to your house. If the device close to the house has enough power to read your key regardless of its location in the house, and relay the signal to the device next to the car, it will unlock and can be driven away.

If your car is parked a long way from you house, you could exceed the wireless range between the two parts of the relay kit though.

I don’t actually know the range on these devices. If they only have enough range to pick up your key if it’s just inside the door, then moving the key upstairs will work just fine. If they have enough power to reach the key upstairs, you need a faraday bag, or no comfort access.

Unfortunately, we have no way to know the range of these devices, so you will never know what’s a safe distance.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 05:04 AM   #76
Pequin
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
Quote:

I’m not sure you get how these things work. The distance of the car to the front of the house is irrelevant (for the most part). A relay device used by these scummy low life’s has two parts. One is held close to the car, and the other, connected wirelessly, close to your house. If the device close to the house has enough power to read your key regardless of its location in the house, and relay the signal to the device next to the car, it will unlock and can be driven away.

If your car is parked a long way from you house, you could exceed the wireless range between the two parts of the relay kit though.

I don’t actually know the range on these devices. If they only have enough range to pick up your key if it’s just inside the door, then moving the key upstairs will work just fine. If they have enough power to reach the key upstairs, you need a faraday bag, or no comfort access.

Unfortunately, we have no way to know the range of these devices, so you will never know what’s a safe distance.
Thank you.