BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-06-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
Scolirk
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW 740iL

LCI 2020 BMW 750Li Full Tour & Review

Hey everyone,

A couple weeks ago I spent a week with the 2020 BMW 750Li xDrive and published an episode on it this past Monday. Some feel the LCI G12 is the most controversial 7 Series update since the E65 launched, with strong hatred towards the exterior design, specifically with those front grilles. After spending time with it in person I really came to love the design of the car. BMW has made a bunch of improvements to the interior as well, most of which are subtle enough even to those coming from a 2015-2019.

I go over pretty much everything you'd want to know about this car, including the changes for 2020 on this very well equipped press model.
      11-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #2
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

I think the LCI is fantastic.
      11-09-2019, 07:07 PM   #3
mpop302
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 7

Great reviews. Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
pcrispy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 750i G12 M Sport, '12 528i

I had my '16 750 in for oil change and new spark plugs, and was given a 2020 loaner. For the most part it was identical inside (headed armrest was interesting though). The NAV map however instantly stood out as being slightly different. It's almost like they took the '16 map graphics and made them slightly uglier, adding a look from the old maps in my daughters '12 528. That was weird, but the new instrument cluster was nice, especially the music artwork option on the right side. I much prefer having the music artwork there, and then the map on the main screen. Audi's huge map in the instrument cluster looks cool at first, but I would prefer the main screen to handle the map info. The resolution of the instrument cluster could stand to be a little better and then it would be extremely nice. My brother in law just got a new Nordictrack treadmill with a Peloton style screen, and the resolution on it is sadly amazing in comparison. On the exterior, the grill was hideous of course, so I had zero desires for an upgrade after seeing that I'm not missing out on too much... just the cool artwork in the cluster is about the only thing that really appealed to me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #5
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

I had a brand new 540 with the iDrive 7 as a loaner. I don't like this new instrument cluster, taking away the round shape was a stupid mistake by BMW. Our instrument cluster on the pre-LCI look ten times better... I think in the 90s Chrysler or GM brought out a similar instrument cluster design on one of their minivans with this weird half rounded speedometer area! Why do I need the map info in the center when I can see it on much bigger scale on the iDrive screen as well get turn by turn direction on the HUD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcrispy View Post
I had my '16 750 in for oil change and new spark plugs, and was given a 2020 loaner. For the most part it was identical inside (headed armrest was interesting though). The NAV map however instantly stood out as being slightly different. It's almost like they took the '16 map graphics and made them slightly uglier, adding a look from the old maps in my daughters '12 528. That was weird, but the new instrument cluster was nice, especially the music artwork option on the right side. I much prefer having the music artwork there, and then the map on the main screen. Audi's huge map in the instrument cluster looks cool at first, but I would prefer the main screen to handle the map info. The resolution of the instrument cluster could stand to be a little better and then it would be extremely nice. My brother in law just got a new Nordictrack treadmill with a Peloton style screen, and the resolution on it is sadly amazing in comparison. On the exterior, the grill was hideous of course, so I had zero desires for an upgrade after seeing that I'm not missing out on too much... just the cool artwork in the cluster is about the only thing that really appealed to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #6
pcrispy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 750i G12 M Sport, '12 528i

The map in the middle of the cluster was a mess. I'm not sure what it gains as you can barely tell anything with it compared to the NAV map. Also by doing that, they force the adaptive cruise and lane keep assist over to the left side and it gets real cluttered. I love the music artwork function, but otherwise the design needs some work. Also the screen resolution needs improved. With modern smartphones, 4K TVs, laptops, etc, high PPI screens are the norm, so seeing spaced pixels on the instrument cluster screen makes it feel kinda old.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 07:22 PM   #7
RoLy3
Rep
Drives: BMW M Roadster,740i,Tesla 3SP

I'm not a fan of of the LCI, the grill is too big, the side accent is upright and does not flow like the original and the instrument cluster not to my liking. The new V8 is nice, but not enough for me to like the LCI. I'll be switching to an S-Class when the lease on my pre LCI G12 is up.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 05:28 PM   #8
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
I like the LCI. I think it gives the front a bit more edge. I like my 750 but it does blend in a bit at the front, the rear of the G12 is where they did a nice job.

I still miss my E38 though.
      01-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #9
Scolirk
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW 740iL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpop302 View Post
Great reviews. Subscribed
I appreciate that, thank you!