BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-20-2021, 08:36 AM   #1
Kendrap7672
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i XDrive

Coolant smell?

So my 2018 750i XDrive has had a coolant smell intermittently since I purchased it in January. (At about 40000mi. Now has 48000) I had put in a chip so thought maybe I was getting a funny smell because of the different air fuel mixture.... This morning the alarm bells go off and tell me to add coolant. Upon further inspection, the expansion tank and overflow are bone dry. Ironically enough, I have a service appt scheduled for next Tuesday because of a clunking sound in the front end and something of a shudder going down the road. So I called the dealership to tell them to add this to the appt. They said "oh yeah, we have to top em of this time if year". Well that's the stupidest f'n answer I've been given in a long time! I know there's a bigger issue, as we all know coolant does NOT evaporate. Can anybody give me some advise on specific things to say to address the issue appropriately at the dealership. I already told them I will not accept a simple top off... but I'm just a stupid girl, so of course they respond by saying "oh yeah, we'll check it out". Been there, done that with these a-holes... they always try to send you out without fixing the issues entirely. Another caveat is that my nearest dealer is 1.5 hours away.... and the ones that are a bit farther are not any better... All constructive advice is very much appreciated! Thank you!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 08:46 AM   #2
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
If you are smelling coolant, then you are losing coolant. Several of my BMWs were known to be prone to coolant expansion tank cracks/splits, but I am not sure if the 750i is one of them. I suspected mine on an old BMW I had and took it off just to think it looked fine. I then put water in it - again it looked fine. Then I put it under pressure and bingo - the slight crack appeared and leaked.

I'm not sure about your comfort level with working on your own car, but many auto parts stores will loan out a coolant system pressure checker. It is very easy to use. You basically let your car cool off, replace the cap with the cap of the tester and pump it up like a bike pump. It puts pressure into the system with the car off so it's nice and quiet and you can hear leaks easier. It also has a gauge, so if you don't hear any leaks - you can leave it on for a bit to see if the pressure escapes.

Or when you take it in you can ask them to pressure test your coolant system and give you the results. they will probably charge you because that is what stealerships do - but at least then you will know for sure they did it.

Just my .02 cent.
      05-20-2021, 08:57 AM   #3
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

New cars might go a little low on coolant in reservoir because of possible air in system and a simple top off will work. But your car is well past the "new" stage. Any time you actually smell coolant generally means coolant is leaking (dripping) on something hot. If it's a lot you can usually see where it's hitting on the engine because of the discoloration. To me if you smell it and you see the reservoir going down, that means leak.
I had a Toyota dealer tell me it's normal to smell antifreeze from my RAV4 because the coolant has a strong smell. Ummm no. I call BS and got rid of RAV4 lol
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 09:13 AM   #4
Kendrap7672
Rep

I'm pretty comfortable with the general maintenance like oil changes, tire rotations, brakes, etc... so I'm definitely grabbing a pressure tester from o'rileys on the way home today. Great advice, thank you unluky!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 11:14 AM   #5
Scrh1
Rep
Drives: 17’ BMW 750i

https://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1825827

Read this thread as it should cover what you are after. Turbo coolant lines and may as well do the oil lines while the turbos and top of the motor off.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 09:58 AM   #6
Kendrap7672
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrh1 View Post
https://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1825827

Read this thread as it should cover what you are after. Turbo coolant lines and may as well do the oil lines while the turbos and top of the motor off.
Thank you. I had read this one before posting. I've definitely gotten good insight here. I went and rented a coolant system pressure tester and confirmed a leak. I can't identify a location but at least I know so they can't f me around. It pushed coolant out and lost about 5lbs in 30 min.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #7
Scrh1
Rep
Drives: 17’ BMW 750i

No problem. Hopefully you are still under warranty. I would hit the sos button in the car, have roadside pick up your car and deliver to the dealer and refuse to take it back till remedied .
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
WasThatSpeeding
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i xdrive

Turbo coolant intake and return lines were both leaking in mine. Got it in at the dealership a few weeks ago and everything was covered under warranty. DO NOT WAIT to get it checked out!
I've heard anywhere from $2100 to almost $6k for repairs if it's not under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:08 PM   #9
Kendrap7672
Rep

It was a cracked thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:58 PM   #10
750LiBeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750i