BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-06-2021, 08:38 PM   #1
BootlegBurton
Private
Rep
Drives: 750li

Ventilated seat feels hot

I swear, every time i turn on my ventilated seats, the seat gets hotter no matter how long i drive it.

Today it was 100f outside, so the cabin of the car after sitting in the sun all day was easily 120f. The AC did a decent job at cooling the air in the cabin, but after my 30 minute drive, the seats were still ripping hot.

It got to the point i was convinced they weren't working and shut the radio and blower motor off to make sure i can hear them, and they were on.

I also, mid ride, turned on my passenger seat (with no one sitting in it) and by the time i got home, it was hotter then when i turned it on

A google search tells me they all suck, but damn.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 02:20 PM   #2
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegBurton View Post
I swear, every time i turn on my ventilated seats, the seat gets hotter no matter how long i drive it.

Today it was 100f outside, so the cabin of the car after sitting in the sun all day was easily 120f. The AC did a decent job at cooling the air in the cabin, but after my 30 minute drive, the seats were still ripping hot.

It got to the point i was convinced they weren't working and shut the radio and blower motor off to make sure i can hear them, and they were on.

I also, mid ride, turned on my passenger seat (with no one sitting in it) and by the time i got home, it was hotter then when i turned it on

The ventilation is pretty weak but with Cognac seats, I can feel it and it makes a positive difference. I'm not sure they blow out as opposed to suck in, or in your case, just suck.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 04:09 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Just to verify (since we aren’t in the car with you)…the heated seat button is right next to the ventilation button…is the heated seat button’s light illuminated? It is totally possible to heat & vent the seats at the same time. Make sure the heated seat buttons aren’t illuminated and operating.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #4
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Just to verify (since we aren’t in the car with you)…the heated seat button is right next to the ventilation button…is the heated seat button’s light illuminated? It is totally possible to heat & vent the seats at the same time. Make sure the heated seat buttons aren’t illuminated and operating.

Yeah, been there done that. I am very good at user error.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 05:17 PM   #5
BootlegBurton
Private
Rep
Drives: 750li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post

LOL although i have done that in the past, that is not the case right now.

I actually saw another on of your posts on the 5 series page and saw people recommending putting the AC on the floor, and that in fact does help.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2021, 06:22 PM   #6
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Thanks for the update. Perhaps not a total fix...but if your buns are a bit cooler...then we'll take that as a win.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 03:07 PM   #7
adeuel
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Oxford Green M5C

I believe the ventilated seats are just recirculating cabin air through the seats. It's not conditioned air coming out. Blowing the AC at the floor should help mildly, cooling the air under the seat.

Really too bad. My M5 was that way, my wife's X7 was that way. In fact, I contemplated not even adding the luxury seating package to the X7 for just that reason.
Her new GMC Denali has cooled seats and they are so cold on level 3, I need to turn them down to 1. My back and butt are freezing!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:35 AM   #8
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeuel View Post
I believe the ventilated seats are just recirculating cabin air through the seats. It's not conditioned air coming out. Blowing the AC at the floor should help mildly, cooling the air under the seat.

Really too bad. My M5 was that way, my wife's X7 was that way. In fact, I contemplated not even adding the luxury seating package to the X7 for just that reason.
Her new GMC Denali has cooled seats and they are so cold on level 3, I need to turn them down to 1. My back and butt are freezing!
I have the luxury seating package on my 5 series. The only way I feel the ventilation is if I have been exercising; then it helps a bit. Otherwise, no. What does help for me, because I have the PHEV model, is the ability to turn on the AC via the phone app.

Pointing the vents down might help as one of the poster noted since it is merely recirculating air. If the seat is getting hotter instead of cooler, why not simply turn of the ventilation?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 09:39 AM   #9
marian3k
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 F11 and 7 G11

I find the seat ventilation poor and very slow. I will try the blower set at the floor position - it sounds interesting.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 07:08 PM   #10
550ihtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i 2014

Garage List
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7 M50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegBurton View Post

The ventilation is pretty weak but with Cognac seats, I can feel it and it makes a positive difference. I'm not sure they blow out as opposed to suck in, or in your case, just suck.
Blow or suck, both should do the trick.
Appreciate 0