BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-11-2021, 08:18 AM   #45
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750LiBeemer View Post
Both the S and the 7 are overrated. The flying spur is king
Too bad the Bentley starts at $200K with zero options.

Nowhere near the same class. What's your point?
      06-11-2021, 11:40 AM   #46
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINA_DREAMS View Post

Exactly. My guess. . . Trolling. 🙄
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #47
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Exactly. My guess. . . Trolling. 🙄
Be careful. He’ll get upset and call you names.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #48
750LiBeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750i

Would buy a cpo bentley over a brand new 7 or S. Or B7 or S65. Both of which are priced at 150k-200k+ range with options.

Bentley cpo is bumper to bumper unlike the cpo for a 7 or S
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 08:04 PM   #49
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep
Drives: Sleek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Now that the car is available and tested, what's you guys thoughts?

I think it is something to consider despite the certain downs like the lack of dials and buttons, the odd rear and so on. From the current 3 (A8, 7 Series and S-Class), it is probably the best option. It is the best looking among the 3 despite being a step back compared to the W222, it has the latest technology, the interior is luxurious enough, and apparently it drives better than even the 7 Series. It provides something different to what people are used to especially compared to the W222, and this might have been one of the main factors why initially some people, including me, were more negative about the new S-Class.

Someone spoke about the Flying Spur, but the downs compared to the S-Class V223 are the technology, and the price. Disregarding those main two, the Flying Spur is likely to the best among the 4 cars.

Last edited by Shantosh Seewooruttun; 06-14-2021 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 08:56 AM   #50
Al Pinã
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpina XB7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750LiBeemer View Post
Would buy a cpo bentley over a brand new 7 or S. Or B7 or S65. Both of which are priced at 150k-200k+ range with options.

Bentley cpo is bumper to bumper unlike the cpo for a 7 or S
I guess it depends on what you're looking for in a luxury performance sedan.

All I know is that the B7 absolutely torches all of them performance-wise. Plus you get the best warranty of the bunch, along with free maintenance for 3 years.

A wealthy friend of mine bought his wife a brand new W12 Bentley a few years back and said it's the worst car he's ever owned. Something about their terrible reliability and the $900 oil changes.

Many people think they can afford a certain car based on the payments etc, but they don't factor in maintenance and it ends up sinking them.
      06-12-2021, 11:27 AM   #51
750LiBeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750i

Quote:

All I know is that the B7 absolutely torches all of them performance-wise. Plus you get the best warranty of the bunch, along with free maintenance for 3 years.

A wealthy friend of mine bought his wife a brand new W12 Bentley a few years back and said it's the worst car he's ever owned. Something about their terrible reliability and the $900 oil changes.

Many people think they can afford a certain car based on the payments etc, but they don't factor in maintenance and it ends up sinking them.

When I first posted on here how the 7 is the most unreliable large luxury sedan out of the main 3 ( S class and A 8), I was heavily criticized by the fanboys.

So I will tell you the same that was said to me. Your friend probably bought a lemon and it doesn’t represent all the other bentleys...
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:52 PM   #52
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Holly crap... $900 for an oil change... Did they melt 24 cart gold pieces into the oil

On a positive note, I agree with the above comment about how people don't factor in the maintenance costs etc.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:25 AM   #53
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:

Buying a Bentley is not buying a car. It is making a statement about your "status". You have to pay a lot for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #54
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Buying a Bentley is not buying a car. It is making a statement about your "status". You have to pay a lot for that.
Agreed. Bentley and Rolls Royce are status symbols more than vehicles.
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. If you have the means to own and maintain them. Heck the Continental GT remains one of my dream vehicles. Right up there with Aston and Lamborghini.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 03:42 PM   #55
matowi
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [0.00]
Back to the S-class discussion… it's an absolutely stunning car in the flesh. I found myself already a number of times turning my head when my eyes just picked it up among the traffic. Saw it black, green, white, silver etc.. To my eyes, the shape really oozes class and opulence in light paints (white being my choice if I were in the market for one, with tan/saddle leather). Of course, for looks, a big wheel is a must too, which MB luckily provides

However… as I mentioned it in a different thread somewhere on the forum, I find it difficult to put the S and the 7 in the same category. For me these cars represent different philosophies and they address very different markets. And the reason the S outsells the 7 May come from the fact that in reality the business strategies are very different behind these two cars. The S covers many markets: the "old rich guys" (I borrowed that one from one of the posts above), the chauffeur fleets, the people for whom luxury matters more than other things, the corporations, etc. The common denominator there being: appearances, status, and the search for isolation from the outside world. Nothing wrong with that. It's just a different approach to experiencing the "emotion of motion". The S has its way of getting one from A to B, and it excels at it without there being a shred of doubt. It's a perfectly designed product that hits the bull's eye of its respective markets

The 7, on the other hand, speaks to far fewer markets, the ones who appreciate the drive more than being driven. For instance, in the 10+ years of my corporate travel I have not once been driven in a chauffeured 7, vs. countless times of riding in an S, or in an odd A8. The 7 simply doesn't have the image of a luxury product as such. It has much more character as an item you engage with

Of course, I'm saying all that just based on experiences with the W222s in which I was driven and the G11s I drove. Haven't been yet privileged to spend time in the new W223, which I await with total admiration for the car. And once I pick up my G11 (hopefully in early October), I intend to pay a visit to a local MB dealer to make a quick comparison. Maybe, I'll get struck by a lightning of love for the MB and the way it drives and rides and cocoons you. Time will show. There's one thing for sure: MB is not known to deliver major flops and this new S looks like anything but a major success

Had: '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 04:36 PM   #56
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
My wife summed it up this way a couple of years ago: "I prefer to ride in a Mercedes but drive a BMW." Having said that she has a MB wagon because she hates SUVs and BMW won't sell its wagons in the US.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 05:19 AM   #57
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK22 View Post
I always reserve judgement to see the car in person, from the get go the vertical screen is a negative for me. Here's some pics (from MB World thread) of a less than top specced version and what may be representative of the majority of cars in dealer showrooms when you actually go to see them. Good not great IMO, even a little tacky with the mb tex dash...

Those pictures nail it, look at all that rhino hide pleather on dash and door caps, that's not luxury, cheap tablet instead of a well designed hybrid of buttons and screen then a samsung galaxy tablet behind the steering wheel instead of a well designed instrument binnacle.

With the A8 you might as well be sat in a 45tsfi A6 so that's not up to scratch either, for me the 7 beats them all on material quality/design/differentiation, plus it's cheaper after the discounts.