BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-20-2021, 05:57 AM   #1
Gkp87
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 m50d

G11 7 Series Buying Experience

Hello,

I am currently looking at buying a G11 730d.

Can anyone please advise what they feel are the most important/desirable spec options when purchasing a used model?

i.e.
Is there much benefit in getting an X drive model?
Are massage seats worth it?
upgraded audio?
upgraded leather?
HUD?
360 camera?

Or is there anything else important and desirable i should be loking at?

Many Thanks
Garreth
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 08:17 AM   #2
bigmac f02+g12
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17f15,18G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkp87 View Post
Hello,

Can anyone please advise what they feel are the most important/desirable spec options when purchasing a used model?

i.e.
upgraded audio?
upgraded leather?
HUD?
360 camera?

Many Thanks
Garreth
There are a lot of different variables here and all subjective to ones own personal wants and needs from a driving aspect wouldn't own car without rear wheel steering that's number one two massage seats well it's a very light massage so don't think that ur gonna get a spa type deal here cause u will be disappointed but I like them again it's a personal choice three heads up display again depends on u I love mine but Ive come to realize that it should do a little bit more in my opinion as far as the display goes now for this one u gonna get mixed comments on and that's the bowers Wilkins is it worth the up charge depends solely on the individual I have a 2016 with Harmon and my18 has bowers and Wilkins to me very big difference the bowers is clear loud and and hits very well in my opinion not bad for a factory radio !!! Most people I've ran across on here say it's not worth the 3500 but to me it was what most don't realize is that's no matter what name the stick on there it's gonna be bottom of the pile I mean after all it's a factory radio so doesn't matter if it's Bose bowers wilkins bang olfson it's still a factory radio and if u lookin for studio type sound u will be dissatisfied and disappointed that's what aftermarket is for not factory now the one and last to me in my opinion which was a life saver for me was the rear tablet and rear entertainment screens I have children and do road trips so comes in handy and saves my ears and me from having to pull the car over and taking off my belt !!!! 😂but again if u don't do trips or have children then that doesn't really make since either so again all on what u have goin on and what u use the car for me personally I'm a little different when I buy a road car I get it fully loaded with every option only because if I'm spending basically a 100k on a car what a few more grand for toys u only life once and can't take it with you !!!! But again that's just me and my weird silly and let the wife tell it immature asshole ways !!!
      05-20-2021, 08:43 AM   #3
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

1. The massage seats use inflatable air bladders, not rollers, so they're not as effective as home massage chairs; on the other hand, you wouldn't really want roller massage seat that push/display the drivers in all directions or make you squirm in the seat when the force gets too strong. Overall, I feel that the massage seats feel flatter and harder than non-massage seats overall.
2. BMW has two leather upgrades: Nappa and Merino (which costs significantly more)--entirely personal and financial choice.
3. Audio upgrades: HK or BW--I have BW but don't think it sounds much better, if at all, then the HK in my '18 X3, to justify the $3000+ difference. Other BMW models may have a better implemented BW, not the 7, IMO.
4. HUD and 360 cam are very nice to have.
5. X-drive--depends on your location and driving pattern. For X-drive to be effective, you'll still need AS or winter tires.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
Gkp87
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 m50d

Thank you bigmac f02+g12 & jlin101!

That is great feedback and very helpful!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #5
matowi
First Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 X5 M60i  [0.00]
Funny story this, as I DID NOT WANT to get a 7 series, and ended up cashing a downpayment for a 740d xdrive nonetheless

Blame COVID and the supply chain nightmares. I ordered a 640i (petrol!) xdrive back in March, and got an official notice from BMW HQ (and my dealer separately) that the car in my spec will not be possible to build this year. Blah blah blah, bugger off

So, having researched options with my dealer (and these were: get a 5series wagon 540i xdrive, order a 7 series 740d xdrive, get a demo 740d xdrive), we ended up going for the demo. Sadly there's no 740i xdrive option, as this would have been my choice, and due to circumstances, I am forced to get the diesel, which I hate (ordering the 5 series wagon was not a good idea, as it suffers from the same build restrictions as the 6 series )

Okay, but to the point of options which are important for a 7 series. In my view these are:

1) Nappa leather as a minimum. This is the surface you interact with the most often and the finer it is, the greater the sense of occassion in the car. Given the asking price for the vehicle, Nappa is a reasonably priced option

2) Improved soundproof glass (front plus front doors)

3) Seat ventillation

4) parking assistant with 360 degree cameras

5) heated front and back seats

6) 4-zone air conditioning (have kids)

7) tinted windows and or blinds (have kids)

8) Harman Kardon (good enough for me; I'd rather pay for a proper stereo hi-fi set up at home)

The above were all kitted to the demo car, I'll be getting in October. If I were ordering a new car, I would also include:

9) rear wheel steering

10) driving recorder

11) improved m-sport brakes with bigger discs

12) sunroof

13) massaging seats

In the aesthetics department, I'd always go with the m-sport package on a BMW for the nicer front/back bumper designs and the black headlining in the interiro (which is a huge thing for me, as I like to have light/white leather that contrasts with black rooflining)

Had: '15 F10 535d; '21 G11 740d
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 08:49 PM   #6
Kmish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M760i Azurite Black

I have all of the upgrades. I am disappointed only with the massaging seats. Probably the only feature that I would not miss.

For me the HUD, Merino Leather, and B&W are must haves for starters.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2021, 10:54 AM   #7
DenaliHD
Rep
Drives: 750i Xdrive

When I started my hunt for my 7 I had a few must haves:
M Package/ 648 wheels
Executive package- cooled front seats required
Technology- heads up display is a must
V8- 750i

Secondary requests:
Upgraded brakes
B&W
Display Key/ Remote drive
Driving Assist Plus
Parking Assistant
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 11:24 AM   #8
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Integral Active Steering: allows the car maneouver like a 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #9
Daans
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Bmw 440ix grand coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkp87 View Post
Hello,

i.e.
upgraded audio?
upgraded leather?
HUD?
360 camera?

Many Thanks
Garreth
Hi, nice!
see below:

i.e.
Is there much benefit in getting an X drive model? : depends on the weather conditions (mountains/ cold area)
Are massage seats worth it?: I have them, it is nice but don't use t often.
upgraded audio? : For me Harman Kardon is perfect
upgraded leather? Nice!
HUD? Nice, but there is also a lot off information in the dash and the centre display.
360 camera? : a must,

- I would recommend active steering!
- M-sport trim
- nice 20" wheels
- adaptive lights
- pre- condition( heated or cooled)
- sunroof
- active cruise control

These Cars are fully loaded and Many options are nice, definitely it depends on how many km/miles you drive each day and per person they will be liked more or less.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0