BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

05-20-2021, 07:45 AM   #1
Kendrap7672
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i XDrive

Coolant smell?

So my 2018 750i XDrive has had a coolant smell intermittently since I purchased it in January. (At about 40000mi. Now has 48000) I had put in a chip so thought maybe I was getting a funny smell because of the different air fuel mixture.... This morning the alarm bells go off and tell me to add coolant. Upon further inspection, the expansion tank and overflow are bone dry. Ironically enough, I have a service appt scheduled for next Tuesday because of a clunking sound in the front end and something of a shudder going down the road. So I called the dealership to tell them to add this to the appt. They said "oh yeah, we have to top em of this time if year". Well that's the stupidest f'n answer I've been given in a long time! I know there's a bigger issue, as we all know coolant does NOT evaporate. Can anybody give me some advise on specific things to say to address the issue appropriately at the dealership. I already told them I will not accept a simple top off... but I'm just a stupid girl, so of course they respond by saying "oh yeah, we'll check it out". Been there, done that with these a-holes... they always try to send you out without fixing the issues entirely. Another caveat is that my nearest dealer is 1.5 hours away.... and the ones that are a bit farther are not any better... All constructive advice is very much appreciated! Thank you all!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #2
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

Turbo coolant lines
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
Kendrap7672
Rep
Drives: 2018 750i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN1111 View Post
Turbo coolant lines
If I hook up a pressure tester, do you think it will indicate a drop in pressure if it's the turbo lines?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 11:04 AM   #4
JMAN1111
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 Black Fire X6M, F16 X6 50i

If youre under warranty I recommend a good Indy shop to inspect and then forward the documentation to the dealership especially before the warranty expires.

Yes the pressure tester should indicate that all turbo coolant lines are leaking. The dealer needs to put in the updated lines. Make sure you get a good tech at the dealer. Ask your Indy shop if they have any recommendations for techs at the dealer. Goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 11:15 AM   #5
Scrh1
Rep
Drives: 17’ BMW 750i

I responded to the other thread but you need to get this done under warranty while you still have it or it is going to be major $$ out of pocket.
Appreciate 0