BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

06-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #1
BootlegBurton
Private
Rep
Drives: 750li

CPO Qualification Manual- Educate yourself before buying

Hello all,

I recently bought a 2017 750 xdrive CPO car. Talking to BMW, and asking around, i was led to believe that you could basically buy a CPO BMW sight unseen as there was a rigorous evaluation process they need to go through.

This is not the case. Far from it actually. And low and behold, my car has some pretty significant defects that i wish i saw before buying. Shame on me, but this thread isnt about me, its about making sure new buyers dont go through the same things.

Now its pretty clear, based off what ive seen on here, its not uncommon for this to happen. Cars with undocumented repairs, significant body and paint repairs, and even shotty repairs. Regardless to what BMW corporate officially states, their dealers can basically do what ever they want because no one actually knows the rules, including themselves (the dealers)

After receiving my car and noticing these defects (and a little before buying), i searched high and low for the document im about to post. I could not find it, and no one (including the person i got it from) knew it existed. I dont know if they intentionally dont share this, but i couldnt find it. Maybe its publicly available and im just blind, but based off the stories in this forum alone, i dont think many people know this is out there.

Please share to anyone potentially buying a CPO under the pretense that CPO protects you from getting any better of a car then you can get at any used car dealership.

EDIT- The purpose of this post and this document is to know what to look for and how it can effect the dealer, and what their obligations are, because lets be honest, the dealers are aware we have no idea this exists.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bg6...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by BootlegBurton; 06-07-2021 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1839.50
      06-07-2021, 09:55 AM   #2
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

Interestingly, I realized the lack of exhaustive review on selling a CPO car when I went to purchase my 2018 B7. They were not selling as a certified car because the mileage was so low (3,500 miles). When I insisted it be certified, they were glad to add the warranty on the spot, but I realized that they had not even peeked at the car from a certified warranty perspective before offering the warranty to me.
Appreciate 1
Al Pină1839.50
      06-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Having read the document that OP posted (thank you!), there are indeed inspection requirements that are extensive, and actually more extensive than I thought, including a paint inspection required that is very specific and I believe prior repainting is a disqualifier. The dealer who certified at the request of a customer, as noted above by Lawguy, violated the rules set out by BMW. To me there is much more required to CPO a car than would be expected from a third party used car lot and while CPO inspections may not be the same as a thorough PPI from an independent mechanic, there is a warranty to fall back on, backed by BMW.

The rub is, like many other things, BMW may actually have good intentions but then leaves it up to dealers to comply (and self-police), and from reading these forums we know that dealers vary from very responsible to irresponsible.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 05:12 PM   #4
BootlegBurton
Private
Rep
Drives: 750li

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlteBMW View Post
Having read the document that OP posted (thank you!), there are indeed inspection requirements that are extensive, and actually more extensive than I thought, including a paint inspection required that is very specific and I believe prior repainting is a disqualifier. The dealer who certified at the request of a customer, as noted above by Lawguy, violated the rules set out by BMW. To me there is much more required to CPO a car than would be expected from a third party used car lot and while CPO inspections may not be the same as a thorough PPI from an independent mechanic, there is a warranty to fall back on, backed by BMW.

The rub is, like many other things, BMW may actually have good intentions but then leaves it up to dealers to comply (and self-police), and from reading these forums we know that dealers vary from very responsible to irresponsible.

Your very very right, and honestly i should edit the post because there are VERY strict guide lines and penalties to go along with not following them.

The purpose of this post and that document is to know what to look for and how it can effect the dealer, because lets be honest, the dealers are aware we have no idea this exists.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 10:40 PM   #5
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Good stuff. Thanks OP.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 01:42 PM   #6
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootlegBurton View Post
Your very very right, and honestly i should edit the post because there are VERY strict guide lines and penalties to go along with not following them.

The purpose of this post and that document is to know what to look for and how it can effect the dealer, because lets be honest, the dealers are aware we have no idea this exists.
Actually, there is a provision in the document that the CPO process is only for safety features, not anything else. Buyer beware!
Appreciate 0