BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

06-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #1
Greghole98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i E92  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
Smile Can't get my 750Li Started

Hey guys, I just picked up a 2010 f02 750Li for next to nothing that won't start. (I know I may have made a big mistake). When I hit the push to start button you can hear an audible clunk sound (I assume its the starter solenoid) then nothing happens and a few seconds later you can hear another clunk (I again assume thats the solenoid retracting). What I find odd is that if between the first clunk and second clunk if I take my foot off the brake it immediately actuates the solenoid. I then hooked up a jump box and was able to get the starter spinning and I heard a nasty grinding sound for a few seconds and no start. I used ista to see if there were any faults but none specific to the starter or DME. The car also cannot shift out of park which I feel may have something to do with it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
AWF10M5
Banned
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Could be the starter or could be the motor itself is locked. The N63 is notorious.

Whats the previous history on the vehicle? The miles? Concern is when you say you cant shift out of park sounds like the motor.

Checkout bimmerfest f01 forum the forum is more active for this model bimmerpost for this model is dead.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 05:21 PM   #3
Greghole98
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i E92  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
Thanks for the info, I spent the whole day working on the car and am starting to feel like there is something either sapping power or there is an electrical problem somewhere. I can only get the starter to make the grinding noise when a jump box is hooked up to the car. I took a battery out of my e38 7 series, charged it and as soon as I connected it I heard a relay in the rear fuse box clicking on and off. Before the battery was hooked up to the car it was at ~12.3 volts. When I connected the battery it dropped down to ~6 volts and the AC started turning on and off by itself. The battery soon after drained to the point that all the electronics shut off. I then completely removed the battery from the car and hooked up my jump box to the terminals in the front of the car at 20amps and all the electronics functioned for the most part and the starter made the same grinding noise. I feel that I should also mention that while activating certian power consumers (i.e. rolling up the windows) an audible power noise can be heard almost like something high voltage is being powered up (possibly through the speakers). To answer your question about the history, it has had 5 owners and has been in 2 accidents and repaired. The mileage was up to 100,000 in 2015 and since then it has slowly climbed up to 108k with a few places sending it to auction and someone else buying it. I know this may have been a dumb purchase but I wanted a project to work on. Any input would be appreciated. I can shift out of park with the manual red key that inserts in the cupholder.
Appreciate 0