BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (F01) 7-series General Discussions

11-11-2018, 08:55 PM   #1
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & G30 530e

740 Reliable?

Thinking of getting a 2013/2014 LCI one next year. As I understand it it's an N55. How reliable are they now? Transmission issues? Air ride? HPFP? Etc

I was tempted to get a 750 because they're cheaper but my mechanic scared the crap out of me.

I really appreciate your advice. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
drmel
Rep
Drives: 2014 740Li xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Traveler View Post
Thinking of getting a 2013/2014 LCI one next year. As I understand it it's an N55. How reliable are they now? Transmission issues? Air ride? HPFP? Etc

I was tempted to get a 750 because they're cheaper but my mechanic scared the crap out of me.

Not sure if you've already pulled the trigger but I just purchased a 2014 740 li xDrive. The primary reason that I went for a 740 over a 750 was because of the engine issues that so many people described. personally, I would rather have two less cylinders than to have the headache of constant engine oil consumption and other valve related problems. from what I've read I don't think the n55 is completely out of the woods but certainly list chances of failures.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #3
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmel View Post
Quote:

Not sure if you've already pulled the trigger but I just purchased a 2014 740 li xDrive. The primary reason that I went for a 740 over a 750 was because of the engine issues that so many people described. personally, I would rather have two less cylinders than to have the headache of constant engine oil consumption and other valve related problems. from what I've read I don't think the n55 is completely out of the woods but certainly list chances of failures.
I stopped watching YouTube videos about the car and tried to forget about it. Maybe next year. Congrats on the car, I hope it treats you well.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
The-Traveler
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmel View Post
Quote:

How has it held up? Any issues?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #5
drmel
Rep
Drives: 2014 740Li xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
How has it held up? Any issues?
So far, no major issues. I'm going to my indy to have me AC checked. It's under warranty so if something has failed, I'm covered. I have the worse luck with AC Compressors though. I had a leak in my 2014 Impala just a few months after buying it as well.

I did an oil change and engine cleaner with Createc last month to hit the reset on the Bimmers engine parts. No oil consumption issues though, I've never had to add any extra oil. I love the car and am still happy I got a 740.
Appreciate 0