BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

12-02-2022, 06:29 PM   #1
Melloco2201
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw m850 bmw x7 jeep wrangler

2018 m760xi warranty

Hello everyone

I am thinking about getting a 2018 m760xi with 14k miles on it
I will like to ask to those who own one of these about an after market warranty

The car has no warranty at all, the dealer is offering me a full cover one for $4,500 4years/ 48k miles

It seems to be a good price. A friend that works at a BMW dealer is trying to talk me out of the entire deal because he thinks there is too much risk on this type of car
Any thoughts about any possible issues or things I should look for?

I have a 2023 m3 comp, and a m850xi cp that I am swapping out so I need a daily driver and I think this car is beautiful. I have always leased my cars so this is my first time buying a used car. I was thinking about leasing a new 750xi but there is something about the power and looks of the 760xi that is making think hard

any thoughts are greatly appreciated

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 08:27 PM   #2
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melloco2201 View Post
Hello everyone

The car has no warranty at all, the dealer is offering me a full cover one for $4,500 4years/ 48k miles

It seems to be a good price. A friend that works at a BMW dealer is trying to talk me out of the entire deal because he thinks there is too much risk on this type of car

I have a 2023 m3 comp, and a m850xi cp that I am swapping out so I need a daily driver and I think this car is beautiful. I have always leased my cars so this is my first time buying a used car. I was thinking about leasing a new 750xi but there is something about the power and looks of the 760xi that is making think hard

Thank you
how long are you going to keep it and how much are you going to drive it per year?

I got my 2019 used 8 months ago with ~20K miles. It has been flawless.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 08:31 PM   #3
Melloco2201
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
Quote:
Hello everyone

Thank you
how long are you going to keep it and how much are you going to drive it per year?

Quote:
Quote:
Hello everyone

Thank you

2-4 years
7-10k miles

How do you like it?

I hv been playing with the numbers and for about $100 plus more a month i could lease a loaded 22 750 m sport
But i like the idea of owing something for a change
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 08:45 PM   #4
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
2-4 years
7-10k miles

How do you like it?

I hv been playing with the numbers and for about $100 plus more a month i could lease a loaded 22 750 m sport
Mine is a keeper (10+ years), likely my last ICE.

I absolutely love it, every, single, time, I drive it. It's a special feeling with all that power and grace.

The V12 is super reliable. The hot-V V8 is OK, but not as reliable for long term owners.

I worry about the various systems needing service, but it feels over-engineered and well built, so I took a chance on it. I've seen some for sale with high miles, they seem to hold up pretty well. I shopped cross country online listing for hours a day for ~4 months.

They take a long time to sell, so a dealer will reduce price if you let them hold it for a few months. Almost every single one I tracked sat for many months, some over a year. None sold at "KBB" or "market retail" price, they all sold for a discount: 100% for $10K or better off initial listing.
Appreciate 1
Derived16.00
      12-02-2022, 09:07 PM   #5
Melloco2201
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
2-4 years
7-10k miles

How do you like it?

I absolutely love it, every, single, time, I drive it. It's a special feeling with all that power and grace.

The V12 is super reliable. The hot-V V8 is OK, but not as reliable for long term owners.

I worry about the various systems needing service, but it feels over-engineered and well built, so I took a chance on it. I've seen some for sale with high miles, they seem to hold up pretty well. I shopped cross country online listing for hours a day for ~4 months.

They take a long time to sell, so a dealer will reduce price if you let them hold it for a few months. Almost every single one I tracked sat for many months, some over a year. None sold at "KBB" or "market retail" price, they all sold for a discount: 100% for $10K or better off initial listing.
Quote:
Quote:
2-4 years
7-10k miles

How do you like it?

I know the people there
I am in the business so they are giving me a good price
Its just the question… to buy an almost 5 year old car but a special one or lease a brand new one for a few $$ more a month
The 760 looks really nice

I am even thinking about buying a new m760 22 but the depreciation will be brutal
And payments twice as high

I thought i was sure about getting this used one
But now i am having second thoughts 😒
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 09:15 PM   #6
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I know the people there
Its just the question… to buy an almost 5 year old car but a special one or lease a brand new one for a few $$ more a month

I am even thinking about buying a new m760 22 but the depreciation will be brutal

I got mine at the 3 years old mark for exactly half of it's MSRP, they depreciate like mad, and that is with 2 years of CPO warranty, fully optioned (184k MSRP) and low miles.

I'll be driving it about 6K a year, and if I keep it 10 years and put on 60K it will still be under the miles of some I saw that still looked great. I may even jus tkeep it till it stops running right and put the drivetrain in a project car (I work on and fabricate cars as a hobby) as a retirement project.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 09:28 PM   #7
Melloco2201
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I know the people there

I got mine at the 3 years old mark for exactly half of it's MSRP, they depreciate like mad, and that is with 2 years of CPO warranty, fully optioned (184k MSRP) and low miles.

I'll be driving it about 6K a year, and if I keep it 10 years and put on 60K it will still be under the miles of some I saw that still looked great. I may even jus tkeep it till it stops running right and put the drivetrain in a project car (I work on and fabricate cars as a hobby) as a retirement project.
Quote:
Quote:
I know the people there

Nice
They want 72k plus 4,500 4y/ 48k miles warranty
Car is mint, only 14k miles

Not sure what to do
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 09:38 PM   #8
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Nice
They want 72k plus 4,500 4y/ 48k miles warranty
Car is mint, only 14k miles

Not sure what to do
Value Depends on the options. There are a few that are very expensive.

When I shopped, I made a spreadsheet for all the ones that met my basic criteria and noted their options in that sheet. These varied quite a bit:

Big options (I've forgotten some of the exact names):
Rear seat executive package
custom color paint
Full Merino leather
Tablet controls in rear center console
dual rear TV's/monitors
Night Vision.

Other options seemed to always be present (even though they were options):
Sky Lounge
remote parking
ambient air

there are also some different trims for the wood, and some rim options.

Something that is not well mentioned in the options guide but was a deal breaker for me was that if you got the full executive lounge in the back, the front passenger seat was very basic in it's adjustability. Most of the seat functions are lost in that options package. My wife has a bad back, there was no way I'd put her in a low end non-adjustable-lumbar seat.

The warranty seems like a decent price.

Last edited by chad86tsi; 12-02-2022 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 10:10 AM   #9
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
OP, I was in a similar place as you a few months ago. I was leasing a 2020 F95 x5m competition with several months remaining in the lease (I've leased all bmws I've had since 2012). I saw a 19 m760 on the lot with low miles and about 2 years warranty left (some factory the rest CPO). I had been having a lot of engine trouble with the S63 engine (which is common with the n63/s63) so I was visiting the dealer often and kept seeing this car on the lot. Im not even sure the dealer fully knew what they had sitting there. I liked the look of the pre Lci 7er to the 2020+ (I have a 2021 740 leased) so this car ticked all the boxes for me and I'm the kind of person that likes having unique and special cars. What's more special than a twin turbo V12 which will no longer be offered soon?

I drive a lot (15k / yr) so I was skeptical about longevity. Given this would be the first car I bought in some time I tried to research issues with this motor. And I really couldn't find any. I also crossed with the rolls Royce cars as this motor is in a few RR models in a slightly different state of tune, and couldn't find much there either. I can't imagine RR would put an unreliable motor in their cars considering their type of clientele and brand. Nor would BMW at the original MSRP price points of $170k+.

So I pulled the trigger after driving it a few times and I do not regret it all. The drivetrain is so overbuilt that with proper maintenance I feel confident it will last a long time. Unlike the hot V8s that are very stressed to get the power, the N74 barely works to pump out 600+ hp. It also has the beefier ZF transmission over the V8 and M V8 cars so it can handle a lot more torque than what it's currently tuned for. That's a good indication that you shouldn't have transmission issues.

I think like any BMW I've owned, there will be a lot of comfort or electronic failures over time. You have to expect that and it's luck of the draw. But from a drivetrain perspective, I think this is one of the most reliable and solid platforms BMW has offered for a very long time.

You will need to pay for some expensive maintenance items down the road but that should be expected with a V12 engine. But when you think about how much car you're buying for the price, it feels like a bargain to me. It is so much more refined and special to drive than the V8 version, and the V12 badge garners special treatment and attention.

And I love mine so much, I haven't missed my X5M comp at all (which was a dream car for me). Buy it, you won't be disappointed
Appreciate 3
      12-03-2022, 01:30 PM   #10
Melloco2201
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswld34 View Post
OP, I was in a similar place as you a few months ago. I was leasing a 2020 F95 x5m competition with several months remaining in the lease (I've leased all bmws I've had since 2012). I saw a 19 m760 on the lot with low miles and about 2 years warranty left (some factory the rest CPO). I had been having a lot of engine trouble with the S63 engine (which is common with the n63/s63) so I was visiting the dealer often and kept seeing this car on the lot. Im not even sure the dealer fully knew what they had sitting there. I liked the look of the pre Lci 7er to the 2020+ (I have a 2021 740 leased) so this car ticked all the boxes for me and I'm the kind of person that likes having unique and special cars. What's more special than a twin turbo V12 which will no longer be offered soon?

I drive a lot (15k / yr) so I was skeptical about longevity. Given this would be the first car I bought in some time I tried to research issues with this motor. And I really couldn't find any. I also crossed with the rolls Royce cars as this motor is in a few RR models in a slightly different state of tune, and couldn't find much there either. I can't imagine RR would put an unreliable motor in their cars considering their type of clientele and brand. Nor would BMW at the original MSRP price points of $170k+.

So I pulled the trigger after driving it a few times and I do not regret it all. The drivetrain is so overbuilt that with proper maintenance I feel confident it will last a long time. Unlike the hot V8s that are very stressed to get the power, the N74 barely works to pump out 600+ hp. It also has the beefier VF transmission over the V8 and M V8 cars so it can handle a lot more torque than what it's currently tuned for. That's a good indication that you shouldn't have transmission issues.

I think like any BMW I've owned, there will be a lot of comfort or electronic failures over time. You have to expect that and it's luck of the draw. But from a drivetrain perspective, I think this is one of the most reliable and solid platforms BMW has offered for a very long time.

You will need to pay for some expensive maintenance items down the road but that should be expected with a V12 engine. But when you think about how much car you're buying for the price, it feels like a bargain to me. It is so much more refined and special to drive than the V8 version, and the V12 badge garners special treatment and attention.

And I love mine so much, I haven't missed my X5M comp at all (which was a dream car for me). Buy it, you won't be disappointed
Quote:

So I pulled the trigger after driving it a few times and I do not regret it all. The drivetrain is so overbuilt that with proper maintenance I feel confident it will last a long time. Unlike the hot V8s that are very stressed to get the power, the N74 barely works to pump out 600+ hp. It also has the beefier VF transmission over the V8 and M V8 cars so it can handle a lot more torque than what it's currently tuned for. That's a good indication that you shouldn't have transmission issues.

Hi
Your input def helps
Thank you
I really like the body style, it looks sportier, beefier than the current one and yes the v12 def makes special

I am more of a monthly payment kind of buyer

Buying this one on a 72 month finance or leasing a 750xi loaded for 36 months gives me the same payment. Doing a select finance on a new 22 m760 will cost me $700 more a month
So it makes the decision very hard

I am even thinking what the best option would be if i wanted to rent it the car out via TURO
I hv some clients that do that and this pays for their cars, or even getting an x6 m that i am told is more desirable

Right now ww have

X7 (wifes/ family car )
Jeep Wrangler ( moms / extra car)
M3 comp my car but i dont want to pile up miles
On it

I just returned a ram truck and a m850 cp lease

So i need an extra car
My wife has always wanted to hv a 7 but will leave it up to me

So as you can see i am all over the place lol
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 01:44 PM   #11
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Hi
Your input def helps
Thank you
I really like the body style, it looks sportier, beefier than the current one and yes the v12 def makes special

Buying this one on a 72 month finance or leasing a 750xi loaded for 36 months gives me the same payment. Doing a select finance on a new 22 m760 will cost me $700 more a month

I am even thinking what the best option would be if i wanted to rent it the car out via TURO
I hv some clients that do that and this pays for their cars, or even getting an x6 m that i am told is more desirable

Right now ww have

X7 (wifes/ family car )
On it

So i need an extra car

Lol yes you are all over the place. If you plan to rent it out, I would not get the V12 then. Lease the V8 and let it get abused by renters. Then you can turn it back to BMW and walk away. Lot less headache there

If you want a very special and exclusive car, buy the V12 and keep the miles low. You will adore it and it will likely hold value in the future due to the engine no longer being produced and the fading away of large displacement ICEs.

I would definitely not lease an X6M right now. Nor would I lease one to rent out. The payment would likely be considerably more than a 7er lease or even the v12 finance. The maintenance on them is expensive and often (think tires and brakes). Not to mention they are not leasing cheaply anymore and are nothing like a 7 in driving dynamics. I loved my X5M but having to do a full brake job of $5k every 2 years, and then summer tires every year at $2500, and winter tires every 2 years at $2500, it's just not worth it if you drive it a lot or are renting it out. It was also horrible on gas and the ride is a bit hard so you really need to want that type of vehicle. You already have an M car so unless you really want an X6M, I look away.

If you're a payment guy, and you have a fun M car to drive when you want, lease the 750 and enjoy. It will be slightly cheaper and you don't have to worry about issues. And you can rent it out if you want. The V12 is unlike any car I've ever driven. It is special and worth it but you have to know what you're getting if you go that route.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 02:05 PM   #12
Melloco2201
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Hi
Your input def helps
Thank you

Right now ww have

X7 (wifes/ family car )
On it

So i need an extra car

Lol yes you are all over the place. If you plan to rent it out, I would not get the V12 then. Lease the V8 and let it get abused by renters. Then you can turn it back to BMW and walk away. Lot less headache there

If you want a very special and exclusive car, buy the V12 and keep the miles low. You will adore it and it will likely hold value in the future due to the engine no longer being produced and the fading away of large displacement ICEs.

I would definitely not lease an X6M right now. Nor would I lease one to rent out. The payment would likely be considerably more than a 7er lease or even the v12 finance. The maintenance on them is expensive and often (think tires and brakes). Not to mention they are not leasing cheaply anymore and are nothing like a 7 in driving dynamics. I loved my X5M but having to do a full brake job of $5k every 2 years, and then summer tires every year at $2500, and winter tires every 2 years at $2500, it's just not worth it if you drive it a lot or are renting it out. It was also horrible on gas and the ride is a bit hard so you really need to want that type of vehicle. You already have an M car so unless you really want an X6M, I look away.

If you're a payment guy, and you have a fun M car to drive when you want, lease the 750 and enjoy. It will be slightly cheaper and you don't have to worry about issues. And you can rent it out if you want. The V12 is unlike any car I've ever driven. It is special and worth it but you have to know what you're getting if you go that route.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Hi
Your input def helps
Thank you

Right now ww have

X7 (wifes/ family car )
On it

So i need an extra car

Do you really think it will hold its value?
That might be a tipping point towards buying it
I really like it, the color, the fact that is mint
I think the price is fair and i get a full coverage warranty

My wife will drive it too so will put less miles on our x7

I just want to make the right decision
Sometimes i tend to be very impulsive, buy something and regret it right the way

Your input is very helpful
I do appreciate you taking the time to reply
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 02:15 PM   #13
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
You're welcome. I know how you feel so happy to help.

No one can say what the value will be like. Look at what happen during the pandemic with car values. But, unlike other BMW models that share engines, this is a bespoke drivetrain that is being phased out across all manufacturers. At some point soon there will be no V12s or V10s in new cars. That to me coupled with the already limited amount of M760s around, should give it a boost in value. The design language of new BMWs is also getting pretty polarizing and I know from my own opinion, I'm not likely to continue buying BMWs if they keep looking like the new ones do. I prefer a traditional BMW look that this car epitomizes. Not to mention the depreciation hit its already taken, I can't believe it would lose too much more value for at least a little while.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 02:27 PM   #14
Melloco2201
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

No one can say what the value will be like. Look at what happen during the pandemic with car values. But, unlike other BMW models that share engines, this is a bespoke drivetrain that is being phased out across all manufacturers. At some point soon there will be no V12s or V10s in new cars. That to me coupled with the already limited amount of M760s around, should give it a boost in value. The design language of new BMWs is also getting pretty polarizing and I know from my own opinion, I'm not likely to continue buying BMWs if they keep looking like the new ones do. I prefer a traditional BMW look that this car epitomizes. Not to mention the depreciation hit its already taken, I can't believe it would lose too much more value for at least a little while.
I just told the dealer to bring me the car today if the want the deal
My wife feels is a good buy
So i think its done lol

I am sure i will love it 😊
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 02:37 PM   #15
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

So i think its done lol

Regardless of if it's the "right" decision, you will absolutely love the car. Enjoy in good health. Happy I could help you make the decision.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 02:39 PM   #16
Melloco2201
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So i think its done lol

Regardless of if it's the "right" decision, you will absolutely love the car. Enjoy in good health. Happy I could help you make the decision.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So i think its done lol

I will love it
I think it is

Thank you
You def helped
Will post some pics
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2022, 06:53 PM   #17
Melloco2201
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So i think its done lol

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So i think its done lol

I will love it
I think it is

Thank you
You def helped
Will post some pics
Got the car!
😁😁😁

Question for you
How often do change the oil?
Also not sure where you live but i will be needing winter tires
Any recommendations?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 08:44 AM   #18
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Congratulations!

I change every 4-5k miles spending on how I'm driving it. Definitely not going according to the service status mileage.

I live in MA. I actually just installed Vredestin Wintrac Pro winter tires on the stock 20" rims. Not too many options for our platform on the stock wheels so I gave them a try from Tire Rack. They look and ride great! Not too loud, comfortable and have great cold dry and wet pavement performance. They perform well when it's warmer and don't get too mushy, but excel in the sub 40 deg temps. Turn in feel is sharp, and predictable. They aren't to the level of the Michelin PSS or a max performance summer tire, but they are excellent for winter rubber. They were also quite solid in the rain, which is always hit or miss with winter tires.

I haven't used them in snow yet but the reviews I read before buying suggested they'd be quite good up to the deep stuff.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2022, 11:25 AM   #19
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Got the car!
😁😁😁

Question for you
Any recommendations?

Thank you
It takes almost 13 quarts of oil !

mine was changed every 10K by the previous owner, and I intend to do the same. The change interval on the dash was set for 12K by the dealership that reconditioned and certified it for CPO. My driving is mostly intermittent highway. Some city, but not much distance.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 11:30 AM   #20
Melloco2201
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Congratulations!

I change every 4-5k miles spending on how I'm driving it. Definitely not going according to the service status mileage.

I live in MA. I actually just installed Vredestin Wintrac Pro winter tires on the stock 20" rims. Not too many options for our platform on the stock wheels so I gave them a try from Tire Rack. They look and ride great! Not too loud, comfortable and have great cold dry and wet pavement performance. They perform well when it's warmer and don't get too mushy, but excel in the sub 40 deg temps. Turn in feel is sharp, and predictable. They aren't to the level of the Michelin PSS or a max performance summer tire, but they are excellent for winter rubber. They were also quite solid in the rain, which is always hit or miss with winter tires.

I haven't used them in snow yet but the reviews I read before buying suggested they'd be quite good up to the deep stuff.
Quote:
Congratulations!

Got it
I hv never owned i used car, i hv always leased so maintenance was done based on the car asking for it

So i need to know what is the best way
Some tell me 4-5k miles
But does it really make a difference?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 11:31 AM   #21
Melloco2201
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Got the car!
😁😁😁

Question for you
Any recommendations?

Thank you

mine was changed every 10K by the previous owner, and I intend to do the same. The change interval on the dash was set for 12K by the dealership that reconditioned and certified it for CPO. My driving is mostly intermittent highway. Some city, but not much distance.
Quote:
Congratulations!

Quote:
Quote:
Got the car!
😁😁😁

Question for you
Any recommendations?

Thank you

I get it
I just dont wat to over do it if not necessary
But i do want to do whatever is necessary to extend its life

Its a sick looking car
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 05:57 PM   #22
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
I'm of the mind that driving habits and environment influence the oil change interval. The 10,000 interval from BMW is only set that way because of costs to BMW for the included change. I'm sure if it made
Financial sense, they'd reduce the interval for better protection of the engine.

Synthetic oils are great at extending life, but if you drive hard often, have a high stress engine, drive long distances at speed, lot of stop and go, or live in extremely hot or extremely cold climates, your change intervals should be adjusted.

I found that my driving style (hard), climate and amount of driving generally requires a change at 5,000 (or less). At that time, I can start hearing the engine a bit more and can just tell a change is needed. In other vehicles, such as my X5M or wife's Yukon XL, I would get some oil burn off at about 4,000 so 5,000 change works there too. Even with my X5M getting the free oil, I always did an intermittent change.

That said, the V12 works differently than the hot V8s and cruises at much lower RPMs so it could be longer. It does require a lot of oil so if you drive a lot in gear, it could get expensive. In your case, if you drive other cars too, I'd stick to the 5,000 mile change and you can be confident you'll always have the protection and correct amount of oil. The most engine wear occurs during start up when there's no oil yet, so I'd rather have as fresh oil as possible to make sure the lubrication is there quickly no matter the weather outside.
Appreciate 0