BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

01-08-2023, 12:19 AM   #1
bb1510
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mercedes Benz S63 AMG

Steering Feel Issues

I just tested a decently loaded leftover stock SWB LCI G11 yesterday, optioned with everything except for the Dynamic Handling Package (or Autobahn Package for those in the US), with an Individual interior and B&W.

What I noticed is that when turning in the city onto a side street, the steering weight and feel would completely loosen up to the lightness and feel when parking. This would also happen and is especially noticeable when the vehicle is turning without stopping and still at some a considerable speed, it would just completely loosen up when turning and is most noticeable in the middle of the turn.

Is this typical of the G11 or there's something severely wrong with the vehicle because I don't encounter such an experience even on the cheapest MB vehicles like a B or CLA where the feeling is so artificial and light it's as if one were playing a video game.
      01-10-2023, 12:02 AM   #2
MK750
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 750i

I have a LCI (US car, so it’s a LWB), regardless, having driven many seven series and quite a few BMWs in general, what you’re describing does not sound normal. Perhaps there is a reason it is left over?

In my opinion, if you feel uncertain about the car before buying it, you won’t be satisfied after buying it.

Llumar Ceramic Tint | Paint - GTechniq Crystal Serum Light + EXO V4 | Wheels - GTechniq C5 | Glass - GTechniq G1
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 08:55 AM   #3
jokerswld34
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760li

Garage List
2019 BMW M760i  [0.00]
Does the car have rear wheel steering? If so, that could be the sensation you're feeling. When I first started driving my M760 it was a bit weird, especially at lower speeds, but you get used to it quickly. Not sure if the SWB models have that feature...

Also, I assume the car is under factory warranty? If the deal is really good, buy it with the expectations that it might be in the shop for a bit diagnosing that issue. But it would be repaired either way and not cost you anything

Sounds like it Could be an air suspension problem (bad compressor) from sitting around, or a faulty steering rack. Have you discussed the issue with the sales person? Perhaps you can ask him to have the shop foreman drive it with you to discuss the concern before purchasing?

I had a few items of concern when buying my M760i and made sure to engage the service manager and shop foreman before buying. They verified my concerns and fixed them before I took delivery. If you really like the car, spec and deal numbers, don't be shy sharing your concern.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 01:50 AM   #4
bb1510
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mercedes Benz S63 AMG

Thanks for all the comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswld34 View Post
Does the car have rear wheel steering? If so, that could be the sensation you're feeling. When I first started driving my M760 it was a bit weird, especially at lower speeds, but you get used to it quickly. Not sure if the SWB models have that feature...

Also, I assume the car is under factory warranty? If the deal is really good, buy it with the expectations that it might be in the shop for a bit diagnosing that issue. But it would be repaired either way and not cost you anything

Sounds like it Could be an air suspension problem (bad compressor) from sitting around, or a faulty steering rack. Have you discussed the issue with the sales person? Perhaps you can ask him to have the shop foreman drive it with you to discuss the concern before purchasing?

I had a few items of concern when buying my M760i and made sure to engage the service manager and shop foreman before buying. They verified my concerns and fixed them before I took delivery. If you really like the car, spec and deal numbers, don't be shy sharing your concern.
No rear wheel steering.

It's still under factory warranty but even so, it's doesn't really inspire confidence for such a new vehicle and honestly speaking, not really a spectacular deal; it's still around 20% more than a demo individual 7 listed last year but I think that was just a one off deal

When you were shopping for your M760i, did you cross shop a W222 S Class and in your opinion, how would you compare and describe the steering feel of both a standard and AMG S Class to that of a 7?

Actually the sales person just said that they're not surprised I didn't find the steering engaging and said it's typical of new BMWs but that certainly didn't feel normal; there were a couple of instances where I was really pushing the vehicle where the steering ratio and weight change came across completely unexpected for such a vehicle resulting in significant oversteer.

I did notice that the 750 actually felt as fast if not faster than my S63 even though on paper it's the opposite
      01-14-2023, 08:45 AM   #5
Atavus
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M760Li

My S63 AMG coupe probably had more steering feel than my M760Li.
Appreciate 0