BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-30-2023, 02:48 PM   #23
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Brigadier General
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY's Avatar
No_Country
4936
Rep
4,102
Posts

Drives: F80
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I'm on a beach vacation in the Dominican chilling right now... I got all the time in the world
haha, i mean you just asked a simple question.

i didn't think we would get into what a faceless public company felt about its "marketing" programs guised as a driver program
Appreciate 1
wtwo317681.50
      01-30-2023, 02:50 PM   #24
wtwo3
Major General
wtwo3's Avatar
17682
Rep
5,440
Posts

Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
If you are going to try and ask for it, asking when you arrive isn't the time. They get the cars out and gassed up the night before and set them out for the next day. We went over to the PC to take some pics the day we arrived and they were getting the M8 fueled up for the next day. We stuck up a conversation with the guy about it. So it would be too late to try it when you arrive. You'd need to ask when you set up the appointment or certainly awhile before anyway.
It's not really a big deal... if I only get to drive one car on the track I'd pick the G80 anyway. It was more a question about what goes down the day of... do they have a few different types of cars and the main focus is similar to your own car and you get to have some seat time in the others, or is it ONLY the car similar to your own. I've heard different descriptions for PCD... it's to get you comfortable with your own car at the limits.... it's a preview of M track days... etc. So for someone who's never done it before, there's lots of little unanswered questions that'll come clear the day of. Everything I'm hoping for I've already requested by contacting them directly (delivery in the afternoon instead of the morning, etc)
__________________
2023 BMW X7 xDrive40i
2023 BMW M3 6MT
2024 Mini Cooper S Convertible

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 02:53 PM   #25
OriginalFake
Captain
571
Rep
601
Posts

Drives: 2023 M240i
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
I've seen this blurb. Call it semantics if you want, "hoping"... "thinking it would be cool" etc. I wasn't going in expecting it. I'm not going to come away disappointed if I don't get seat time in other models. But I don't see anything wrong with asking the question. I'm glad you were able to do it twice but expecting those who haven't had the opportunity to do it yet to know the ins and outs of exactly what happens that day based on one sentence and not have additional questions (which, let's be honest, is a bit vague... which X vehicle is it on the off-road course? How "similar" will the vehicle be - will I get to drive a 6MT similar to mine? Are there other cars i can drive? See where im going with this) is a bit unreasonable.

As far as the REAL reason behind it, it doesn't take a genius to recognize the marketing opportunity for BMW regardless of if one has done it or not. Marketing opportunity and building brand loyalty is what ALL of these experiences are about regardless of if it's BMW, Mercedes, or Porsche. If a customer learns the limits of their purchased car, all the better.
That's all fair. Like I said, I clearly had better communication than you all did when I signed up for it. I knew exactly what to expect months before I was there. As far as it being vague...does it matter which X vehicle you drive on the off road course? That part is just a bonus to picking up your car. The first time I went, it was an X5 and the second time it was an X3 but it depends on what is a part of their fleet at that point. That's why that part is vague. As far as your vehicle, all you're promised is similar. When I took delivery, the RWD M240i wasn't a part of their fleet yet so I drove the xDrive version. I think they do only have automatic vehicles so you're probably correct about that.

And of course it builds brand loyalty...there's no denying that. But they also go out of their way to stress the education part of it. Whether you buy into it is another thing. I mean, we're more educated than most of the people who take delivery there nine times out of ten but that doesn't stop them from really driving that point home. That's all I'm saying.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 02:55 PM   #26
wtwo3
Major General
wtwo3's Avatar
17682
Rep
5,440
Posts

Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
haha, i mean you just asked a simple question.

i didn't think we would get into what a faceless public company felt about its "marketing" programs guised as a driver program
I thought it was a simple question too... if ya'll wanna get into some deep stuff this is the week to do it

Name:  20230130_155619.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  362.8 KB
__________________
2023 BMW X7 xDrive40i
2023 BMW M3 6MT
2024 Mini Cooper S Convertible

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 02:59 PM   #27
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
snareman's Avatar
United_States
8793
Rep
7,506
Posts

Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
It's not really a big deal... if I only get to drive one car on the track I'd pick the G80 anyway. It was more a question about what goes down the day of... do they have a few different types of cars and the main focus is similar to your own car and you get to have some seat time in the others, or is it ONLY the car similar to your own. I've heard different descriptions for PCD... it's to get you comfortable with your own car at the limits.... it's a preview of M track days... etc. So for someone who's never done it before, there's lots of little unanswered questions that'll come clear the day of. Everything I'm hoping for I've already requested by contacting them directly (delivery in the afternoon instead of the morning, etc)
I've done it 4 times and its essentially all of the above. Its a pyramid scheme they have there! Although I have gladly fallen for the pitch with multiple PCDs, M School, M Track days, MX1, etc as they are all amazing experiences.

"If you enjoyed today you should consider signing up for one of our other driving schools. " "Now that you've done M school you should consider Advanced M School." "We have teen driving schools for your kids." And on and on...

You go there and drink the really good tasting BMW Kool Aid for the day and breath the sweet BMW air. It's a great all around experience that can tempt you into further ones as well as giving you an appreciation for what your car can do and how these "luxury SUVs" really can handle way more than you would give them credit for.

__________________
Current: 2023 Santorini Blue ///M8 ||| 2023 X3 M40
Retired:
2021 Enzian Blue ///M4 ||| 2018 ///M4 ||| 2017 ///M4 ||| 2014 435i ||| 2009 335i Coupe ||| 2007 335i Coupe
Appreciate 1
wtwo317681.50
      01-30-2023, 03:04 PM   #28
wtwo3
Major General
wtwo3's Avatar
17682
Rep
5,440
Posts

Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
That's all fair. Like I said, I clearly had better communication than you all did when I signed up for it. I knew exactly what to expect months before I was there. As far as it being vague...does it matter which X vehicle you drive on the off road course? That part is just a bonus to picking up your car. The first time I went, it was an X5 and the second time it was an X3 but it depends on what is a part of their fleet at that point. That's why that part is vague. As far as your vehicle, all you're promised is similar. When I took delivery, the RWD M240i wasn't a part of their fleet yet so I drove the xDrive version. I think they do only have automatic vehicles so you're probably correct about that.

And of course it builds brand loyalty...there's no denying that. But they also go out of their way to stress the education part of it. Whether you buy into it is another thing. I mean, we're more educated than most of the people who take delivery there nine times out of ten but that doesn't stop them from really driving that point home. That's all I'm saying.
You probably did. My CA had never gone out to SC to do the experience himself so he didn't really know the ins and outs of it either.

As for which X vehicle - it doesn't matter (to me at least), I was just making a point about ambiguity.

Anyway, all I can say is, whatever happens that day, I'm beyond excited to do it. At the end of the day it's an experience centered around one of my bucket list cars, and nothing can ruin that (even the rain in the forecast).
__________________
2023 BMW X7 xDrive40i
2023 BMW M3 6MT
2024 Mini Cooper S Convertible

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2023, 03:07 PM   #29
snareman
Leave the gun. Take the Canoli.
snareman's Avatar
United_States
8793
Rep
7,506
Posts

Drives: ///M8 & X3 ///M40
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
You probably did. My CA had never gone out to SC to do the experience himself so he didn't really know the ins and outs of it either.

As for which X vehicle - it doesn't matter (to me at least), I was just making a point about ambiguity.

Anyway, all I can say is, whatever happens that day, I'm beyond excited to do it. At the end of the day it's an experience centered around one of my bucket list cars, and nothing can ruin that (even the rain in the forecast).
It rained all day at my last two! Most annoying. Made for some interesting track driving... Here was my last one.
__________________
Current: 2023 Santorini Blue ///M8 ||| 2023 X3 M40
Retired:
2021 Enzian Blue ///M4 ||| 2018 ///M4 ||| 2017 ///M4 ||| 2014 435i ||| 2009 335i Coupe ||| 2007 335i Coupe
Appreciate 1
wtwo317681.50
      01-30-2023, 03:15 PM   #30
Twiigg
Automobile Connoisseur
12
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive40i
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Eastern NC

iTrader: (0)

The PCD experience definitely sells cars for BMW… I am proof! We went for our second PCD experience right before Christmas when we were taking delivery of the wife’s new X5. Had seriously been considering ordering myself a X3MC, but they took us for a hot lap in a M3- that was all it took! Came home and started researching everything M3- found a local dealer at MSRP with an allocation in mid-January, put a deposit down and am looking forward to receiving my new M3CX in April… can’t wait!!!
Appreciate 1
wtwo317681.50
      01-30-2023, 03:29 PM   #31
wtwo3
Major General
wtwo3's Avatar
17682
Rep
5,440
Posts

Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
It rained all day at my last two! Most annoying. Made for some interesting track driving... Here was my last one.
Awesome! Will give it a watch
__________________
2023 BMW X7 xDrive40i
2023 BMW M3 6MT
2024 Mini Cooper S Convertible

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 03:33 PM   #32
wtwo3
Major General
wtwo3's Avatar
17682
Rep
5,440
Posts

Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: IL

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiigg View Post
The PCD experience definitely sells cars for BMW… I am proof! We went for our second PCD experience right before Christmas when we were taking delivery of the wife’s new X5. Had seriously been considering ordering myself a X3MC, but they took us for a hot lap in a M3- that was all it took! Came home and started researching everything M3- found a local dealer at MSRP with an allocation in mid-January, put a deposit down and am looking forward to receiving my new M3CX in April… can’t wait!!!
Im taking a buddy with me and I fully expect him to be converted during the experience
__________________
2023 BMW X7 xDrive40i
2023 BMW M3 6MT
2024 Mini Cooper S Convertible

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
Twiigg12.00
      01-30-2023, 03:55 PM   #33
Oldgixxer
Captain
Oldgixxer's Avatar
1579
Rep
703
Posts

Drives: nothing fast
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: The Lowcountry,SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalFake View Post
As far as it being vague...does it matter which X vehicle you drive on the off road course? That part is just a bonus to picking up your car. The first time I went, it was an X5 and the second time it was an X3 but it depends on what is a part of their fleet at that point.
I will admit that the off road course(we had the X5's)was an absolute blast and showed just how capable the X5 was and I'm glad I had the opportunity to experience that;I'd never take a $70k X5 offroad,let alone climbing a steep rock hill while the vehicle is leaning so far to the side it felt like we were gonna flip and slide off the side of the embankment lol.
Especially when the instructor is directing you to inch up slowly then stop...so the X5 was teetering on 2 wheels on the steep rock climb section. Watching my father in law have a mild panic attack sitting in the passenger seat was well worth it

I also would have never known how impressive the X3MC handled corners when we did the autocross segment since I'd never drive like that on the street&I have zero intention of tracking it
__________________
-'22 X3MC,G22 cv
-'09 Busa,'05 GSXR-1K(GT28R turbo)'00 Busa(GT3582)
Gone but not forgotten:
-'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2023, 05:10 PM   #34
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
147
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: chicago, il

iTrader: (0)

This may be off topic - though curious about when dates are finalized vs car produced. I’m hoping to do a pick up an X7 in March, though not a ton of info from my CA; car is scheduled for week 7 completion (2/13). I know that there is a gap between production end and available for pick up. Just not sure how backed up the PCD is or how scheduling works. Genius wasn’t a ton of help on this. Curious as to other’s experience in terms of when in the process the scheduling began, ease of scheduling and how far after production you had to wait to go. Appreciate any insights.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2023, 06:47 PM   #35
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
2065
Rep
1,366
Posts

Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagox7 View Post
This may be off topic - though curious about when dates are finalized vs car produced. I’m hoping to do a pick up an X7 in March, though not a ton of info from my CA; car is scheduled for week 7 completion (2/13). I know that there is a gap between production end and available for pick up. Just not sure how backed up the PCD is or how scheduling works. Genius wasn’t a ton of help on this. Curious as to other’s experience in terms of when in the process the scheduling began, ease of scheduling and how far after production you had to wait to go. Appreciate any insights.
If you only know the production WEEK, then probably still in Status 112. Once you hit Status 150, the DAY will show. It is about at that point that the PC should offer you an available date. They are so backed up that they will offer only one date—take it or leave it! You won't be contacted directly by the PC until you CA tells them that you accept the date offered. At that point all communication will go to you and your CA, as a back-up.
Appreciate 2
chicagox7146.50
CSBM52619.50
      01-30-2023, 06:57 PM   #36
shawnhayes
Major
1788
Rep
1,282
Posts

Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snareman View Post
At one of the M Track days we drag raced in X5M and X6Ms. it was surprising how fast they were. Not that I'd typically do that in real life, but still interesting to see.
Randy Pobst did in his X3M for One Lap of America...

https://www.dinancars.com/blog/post/...ap_of_america/

Shawn
Appreciate 1
CSBM52619.50
      01-30-2023, 07:00 PM   #37
bk_mike
|
United_States
55
Rep
150
Posts

Drives: F10 550ix
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
If you only know the production WEEK, then probably still in Status 112. Once you hit Status 150, the DAY will show. It is about at that point that the PC should offer you an available date. They are so backed up that they will offer only one date—take it or leave it! You won't be contacted directly by the PC until you CA tells them that you accept the date offered. At that point all communication will go to you and your CA, as a back-up.
We got one date from the PCD. We sent back an alternate approximately a week later than the initial offer that PCD confirmed.
Appreciate 1
chicagox7146.50
      01-30-2023, 07:05 PM   #38
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
147
Rep
222
Posts

Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: chicago, il

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_mike View Post
We got one date from the PCD. We sent back an alternate approximately a week later than the initial offer that PCD confirmed.
Very helpful info. Seems there is a little flexibility if the suggested date doesn’t work and we act quickly. Thanks for this.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 07:04 PM   #39
snowbimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
snowbimmer's Avatar
United_States
4814
Rep
1,686
Posts

Drives: 2022 M850 GC - Carbon Black
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: PDX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2022 M850 GC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
"sounds like" "real point" lmfao yall have too much time to argue with people on internet fourms. do yall get off on this shit.
Of course we do. What, you new here or sumpthin?
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.




7post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST