BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Yesterday, 03:33 PM   #1233
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
i actually do want an EV actually ...

was fooling around with the M340i this morning.

the thing does not move until it hits 4000rpm

i swear my Nissan leaf takes off better

obviously if I owned a race track gas is the way to go but on public roads if you want to keep it legal there isn't much happening for a while when i mash the gas pedal, then when the pull comes i'm already almost at the speed limit.

can't have everything!
If your M340i doesn't move until 4000 RPM you should take it to the dealer. Your Leaf shouldn't be able to win except maybe 0-10 mph.

EVs are definitely faster off the line than most ICE cars, but they feel much faster than they are at most speeds. I learned long ago from a professor I had from the ME dept that worked with Michelin: the butt dyno is commonly thought to be acceleration, but it is more accurately described by jerk, which is the derivative of acceleration.

Last edited by chris719; Yesterday at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 1
BGM-M3COMP1878.50
      Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #1234
BGM-M3COMP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
If your M340i doesn't move until 4000 RPM you should take it to the dealer. Your Leaf shouldn't be able to win except maybe 0-10 mph.

EVs are definitely faster off the line than most ICE cars, but they feel much faster than they are at most speeds. I learned long ago from a professor I had from the ME dept that worked with Michelin: the butt dyno is commonly thought to be acceleration, but it is more accurately described by jerk, which is the derivative of acceleration.
Itís the torque that gives the sensation of speed. Some standard range model 3 owners think they drive plaids. Yet the car does 0-60 in just under 6 seconds.

Evís are amazing when you want to exploit gaps in traffic or want to take someone off a light. I get them all the time in my model 3.
Model y performance also on order
Model x plaid maybe Iíll order too
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:24 PM   #1235
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Itís the torque that gives the sensation of speed. Some standard range model 3 owners think they drive plaids. Yet the car does 0-60 in just under 6 seconds.

Evís are amazing when you want to exploit gaps in traffic or want to take someone off a light. I get them all the time in my model 3.
I think your are too young to understand the term "broken record".
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
Cos270483.00
M5Rick40006.50
      Today, 03:35 AM   #1236
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

well the deed is done!!

sold my 428 and ordered a low mile pre owned Model 3 Performance from Tesla at an amazing price....

I have never even driven the Performance model, but did test drive the long range version and was blown away by how fast that thing was...
so I can't imagine how fast the M3P is gonna feel

I can not wait for my delivery date some time early next week!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      Today, 08:54 AM   #1237
BGM-M3COMP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
well the deed is done!!

sold my 428 and ordered a low mile pre owned Model 3 Performance from Tesla at an amazing price....

I have never even driven the Performance model, but did test drive the long range version and was blown away by how fast that thing was...

Youíre going to love it!!!

Btw car wow has a video of a long range vs performance and the performance is def faster off the line but when they did roll races the long range pulled on the performance lol

I was surprised although I donít think he stated SOC for the cars.

I know the long range can run 12.1-12.2 with AB but some people have done it without. The performance runs the same time as stock g8x cars lmaoooo
Model y performance also on order
Model x plaid maybe Iíll order too
Appreciate 0
      Today, 10:11 AM   #1238
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
well the deed is done!!

Dude, seriously fed the Troll
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0